ABF | Teamsters Military Assistance Program--abf

Wartown81

TB Lurker
Credits
Morning folks. I have received bits and pieces regarding the TMAP program and everybody has been very helpful across this and other forums, but so far I haven't been able to contact any separating/retiring military members who have actually gone through the program. I have been able to search a few threads, but they are all dated and incomplete.

If you have gone through this program or know somebody that has, I'd really like to pick your brain. I have specific questions about the timelines, logistics of attending while still active duty (CSP, TAPs, PTDY) lodging, service commitment, etc.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

I am posting on multiple forums to maximize responses.​

I know 3 people that have gone through the TMAP program and are currently employed as Road Drivers here at 086. One of my closest friends is very heavily into the TMAP program and taught at Ft.Carson Colorado for several months before returning to Atlanta.

I won't give out there personal information but I'll tell you what I can.

You must be active duty Army (not another branch), you can only pick a terminal that is hiring, the school is about 11 weeks (depending on what base you are assigned to), there are 2 soldiers currently at Ft. Sill Oklahoma that are scheduled to be employed in Atlanta once they complete the school, the instructors are all ABF employees. Anything specific you want to know?

[QUOTE="You must be active duty Army (not another branch)[/QUOTE]
@Homesick thank you for the reply. My first specific question would be to just make sure I’m eligible after reading our comment that it’s Army only. I have e-mail correspondence from a member in ABF’s HR/driver development/TMAP saying that the program is open to “all transitioning active duty” and “all MOS and/or AFSC” AFSC being an Air Force specific term. So if you have a contact that could clarify, that could help to make sure I’m not wasting efforts on an Army only program. Although as I mentioned I made sure to ask that in my emails with him.

He also mentions that you’re on permissive TDY when you attend. Permissive usually requires that you pay for travel and lodging out of pocket. Is that the case with TMAP?

I’m curious about placement upon completion of the program. My end goal would be to get to to a terminal in the south, close to home. Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, something like that. I understand placement is based on availability. If there are no positions in locations I’d like to be, could I end up on the others side of the country, stuck in say Washington, Kansas, etc. I’ve kinda had my share of that on active duty. With that, I would imagine there is a commitment once you’ve gone through the program. How long is that? 12, 24, 36 months?

This may be more geared toward a recent grad, I’m curious about applying for the Career Skills Program but I’m guessing TAPs will cover that.

Again, thanks for the reply. Everybody is always very helpful and I certainly appreciate it.

[QUOTE="You must be active duty Army (not another branch)
@Homesick thank you for the reply. My first specific question would be to just make sure I’m eligible after reading our comment that it’s Army only. I have e-mail correspondence from a member in ABF’s HR/driver development/TMAP saying that the program is open to “all transitioning active duty” and “all MOS and/or AFSC” AFSC being an Air Force specific term. So if you have a contact that could clarify, that could help to make sure I’m not wasting efforts on an Army only program. Although as I mentioned I made sure to ask that in my emails with him.

He also mentions that you’re on permissive TDY when you attend. Permissive usually requires that you pay for travel and lodging out of pocket. Is that the case with TMAP?

I’m curious about placement upon completion of the program. My end goal would be to get to to a terminal in the south, close to home. Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, something like that. I understand placement is based on availability. If there are no positions in locations I’d like to be, could I end up on the others side of the country, stuck in say Washington, Kansas, etc. I’ve kinda had my share of that on active duty. With that, I would imagine there is a commitment once you’ve gone through the program. How long is that? 12, 24, 36 months?

This may be more geared toward a recent grad, I’m curious about applying for the Career Skills Program but I’m guessing TAPs will cover that.

Again, thanks for the reply. Everybody is always very helpful and I certainly appreciate it.[/QUOTE]
This may be some new program. My close friend, Bill, had a son in the Marine corps who tried to get into the TMAP program but was denied because he was not in the Army and because all the training sites are on Army bases. Bill was teaching at the TMAP school in Colorado at the time.

But, if you are really interested ABF Atlanta is hiring from the TMAP program now. I'm unsure about the TDY (I did 6 yrs regular Army so I understand the abbreviation) I just haven't kept up on the TMAP program. I did hear from Bill last year that ABF was not getting as much participant as they wanted.

If you are truly interested I'll ask Bill if I can private message you his contact info. I will also ask Harold, he was a Sargent in the Army, retired, went through the TMAP program about 2 years ago, and is road driver here in Atlanta.

Again, thanks for the reply. Everybody is always very helpful and I certainly appreciate it.
This may be some new program. My close friend, Bill, had a son in the Marine corps who tried to get into the TMAP program but was denied because he was not in the Army and because all the training sites are on Army bases. Bill was teaching at the TMAP school in Colorado at the time.

But, if you are really interested ABF Atlanta is hiring from the TMAP program now. I'm unsure about the TDY (I did 6 yrs regular Army so I understand the abbreviation) I just haven't kept up on the TMAP program. I did hear from Bill last year that ABF was not getting as much participant as they wanted.

If you are truly interested I'll ask Bill if I can private message you his contact info. I will also ask Harold, he was a Sargent in the Army, retired, went through the TMAP program about 2 years ago, and is road driver here in Atlanta.[/QUOTE]

I’d love to get in touch with them if you don’t mind asking them.

Wartown, Bill's son is now a supervisor on the dock in Atlanta: if something like that may interest you. Tim Thorn, CEO of ABF, was a captain the Army and is extremely helpful and proactive helping veterans.

Wartown, Bill's son is now a supervisor on the dock in Atlanta: if something like that may interest you. Tim Thorn, CEO of ABF, was a captain the Army and is extremely helpful and proactive helping veterans.
I’m primarily interested in learning to drive a truck through this program. I see it as a great opportunity for veterans to get their foot in the door in an indsutry that fr

I know 3 people that have gone through the TMAP program and are currently employed as Road Drivers here at 086. One of my closest friends is very heavily into the TMAP program and taught at Ft.Carson Colorado for several months before returning to Atlanta.

I won't give out there personal information but I'll tell you what I can.

You must be active duty Army (not another branch), you can only pick a terminal that is hiring, the school is about 11 weeks (depending on what base you are assigned to), there are 2 soldiers currently at Ft. Sill Oklahoma that are scheduled to be employed in Atlanta once they complete the school, the instructors are all ABF employees. Anything specific you want to know?

The school at Fort Sill has been closed. They have schools at Fort Carson, Colorado and Fort Riley, Kansas.

If you are truly interested I'll ask Bill if I can private message you his contact info. I will also ask Harold, he was a Sargent in the Army, retired, went through the TMAP program about 2 years ago, and is road driver here in Atlanta.[/QUOTE]

I believe the commitment to work at ABF is 1 year now. If you are wanting to drive I would suggest applying for a road driver position or city driver in a mid to small terminal that is hiring. If you hire on a a city driver in a break bulk you may be stuck on the dock for quite a while.

Nothing wrong with being on the dock...........You're building your retirement,.....And, you actually get to handle the freight that .."pays the bills".....

If you're in LTL "trucking".........you've got to understand that the only reason they call it.."trucking".....is because ..trucks..are the biggest tools you use to deliver freight......

If we had 40' two-wheelers,....we'd be called "Two-Wheel Drivers.."

Don't make the mistake they pump out in most...civilian "truck-driving" schools......That the driving is the MOST important part.....It's important,.......but equally so is your freight-handling skills..........

Wartown, I sent you a private message with Bill's contact info and my email if any problems. Bill says as far as he knows TMAP is still Army only.

[/QUOTE]I believe the commitment to work at ABF is 1 year now. If you are wanting to drive I would suggest applying for a road driver position or city driver in a mid to small terminal that is hiring. If you hire on a a city driver in a break bulk you may be stuck on the dock for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

@Top Dawg In your experience, how long would you say quite a while is to be stuck on the dock?

I believe the commitment to work at ABF is 1 year now. If you are wanting to drive I would suggest applying for a road driver position or city driver in a mid to small terminal that is hiring. If you hire on a a city driver in a break bulk you may be stuck on the dock for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

@Top Dawg In your experience, how long would you say quite a while is to be stuck on the dock?[/QUOTE]

Well,....it ain't me you're talking to,....but in my first 10 years at ABF,...I spent 5 of them on inbound dock.

....And 20 as a city driver......with a few weekly stints on the dock.........and a few as UE driver........