TForce | Telematics/diad switch you to P+D once you leave the terminal?

maxicoze

TB Regular
Credits
If you have swiped to "dock" and forget to swipe back to P+D, will telematics and/or the diad automatically switch you back to P+D once you leave the terminal boundaries?

NO... You will remain in your work status until it is changed.
The telematics and the ELD will record you in motion but the DIAD work status will need to be updated. We have several drivers on "working termination" for exactly that..

The telematics and the ELD will record you in motion but the DIAD work status will need to be updated. We have several drivers on "working termination" for exactly that..
Termination for forgetting to swipe? What a waste of time. That will never go anywhere.

Termination for forgetting to swipe? What a waste of time. That will never go anywhere.
i was going to get a letter for forgetting to swipe TO dock,(which is why i asked the question in the first place) but they have, apparently, forgotten about it........ One of my stewards raised hell about it and maybe that's why they've "forgotten" about it?

The company is (still) obsessed with numbers. i guess we just have to play along with it.....?

The harassment for seemingly minor things have IMHO increased since the TFI takeover.
We have a 20 plus year P D driver on working term. for not updating his status several times over a few months, and another for "stealing time" for 4 minutes idle after going enroute waiting for another trailer to clear the dock area. Both drivers are safe workers and drivers and show up everyday.
Can't hire a friggin driver lets F with what we got.. Absurd..
I can't wait to get these to a panel....

Except P&D don't use a elog

The harassment for seemingly minor things have IMHO increased since the TFI takeover.
We have a 20 plus year P D driver on working term. for not updating his status several times over a few months, and another for "stealing time" for 4 minutes idle after going enroute waiting for another trailer to clear the dock area. Both drivers are safe workers and drivers and show up everyday.
Can't hire a friggin driver lets F with what we got.. Absurd..
I can't wait to get these to a panel....

Yeah, we had another driver facing a suspension for not updating. Nevermind, we can't often log on until sometimes 20-40 AFTER we leave the terminal----because "the system hasn't caught up....."

The company is still on "numbersmania" and i'll play along, but i guess they don't care about freight actually being delivered.......?

So, the way i look at it, my job is:

1) Don't run into anything.

2) Keep the diad up to date at all times no matter what.

3) Pickup freight (because we care more about the money than the customer which is why i listed pickup BEFORE delivery....)

4) Deliver freight.

Damaging freight is perfectly ok, just don't crash into anything with the truck. Does anyone ever get disiplined for not strapping freight down? NOPE. But God help you if you're 1 minute late updating your status.......

So, actually delivering the freight is down 4 on the list, not #1.

Like i've said before: We are not a trucking company anymore----we are a NUMBERS company.

Last edited:
Except P&D don't use a elog

i'll use the elog if i run road. Safety wanted me, specifically, to use BOTH the elog AND diad when i run P+D. After about 2 days, i was like F it, i'm not doing it-----it's bad enough you want me to run the useless diad, but now you want to me to use 2? i never heard anything back.

Safety wanted me disciplined for not taking a 1/2 break before 8 hours. Local drivers are not required by the regs to have to take a 1/2 break ever.

My goal is to work in the "safety" department where i can just watch youtube all day and do nothing else. Seriously.

i'll use the elog if i run road. Safety wanted me, specifically, to use BOTH the elog AND diad when i run P+D. After about 2 days, i was like F it, i'm not doing it-----it's bad enough you want me to run the useless diad, but now you want to me to use 2? i never heard anything back.

Safety wanted me disciplined for not taking a 1/2 break before 8 hours. Local drivers are not required by the regs to have to take a 1/2 break ever.

My goal is to work in the "safety" department where i can just watch youtube all day and do nothing else. Seriously.
The ELD is a Federal requirement, not a TFI rule. Any driver who goes more than 150 miles from base ONCE in 30 days must use an ELD.
The lunch thing is a Company mandate. Even though Federal law doesn't require you to show an off duty lunch the Company does. They make the rules and we have to follow them as long as they are not, illegal, unethical, or immoral. Find a shady spot and have a cold drink.
It was explained to me a while ago with this scenario. If a driver is involved in a serious accident and it ends up in court, the opposing lawyers bring up the fact that the driver worked 10-14 hours without a break. The jury might not look favorably on that.

The ELD is a Federal requirement, not a TFI rule. Any driver who goes more than 150 miles from base ONCE in 30 days must use an ELD.
The lunch thing is a Company mandate. Even though Federal law doesn't require you to show an off duty lunch the Company does. They make the rules and we have to follow them as long as they are not, illegal, unethical, or immoral. Find a shady spot and have a cold drink.
It was explained to me a while ago with this scenario. If a driver is involved in a serious accident and it ends up in court, the opposing lawyers bring up the fact that the driver worked 10-14 hours without a break. The jury might not look favorably on that.
Once again it boggles my mind why anyone in their right mind would want to work all day without a lunch break. In the old days the shop steward would be having a serious talk with that guy.

Once again it boggles my mind why anyone in their right mind would want to work all day without a lunch break. In the old days the shop steward would be having a serious talk with that guy.
They deduct 30 minutes from your hours everyday, whether you take a break or not.
That's 2.5 hrs. a week, 10 hours a month, 120 hours a year.
That's $3,600 a year..
Some drivers just don't get it.......

There are dock cdl drivers that do, and any p d that runs road on the weekend.
That's a thing at the end of lines?
At hrs there's more than enough Amazon's for city to do on weekends , we Don't do road trips.
And ever since the feds raised the short haul range to 150 miles, we can work 14's all week and not need a elog.

Ok, to clarify:

1) When safety got on my case about a) wanting me to use elog AND diad at the same time whenever i did P+D and b) got on my case about NOT taking a 1/2 break within 8 hours-----thus "supposedly" being in violation, this was before september 29, 2020 last year----before the rule change.

i had always taken a lunch----just after i was done all my pickups and deliveries; i wouldn't "depart" until 30 mins after the last customer. The way the company has set things up, you don't have time to take a lunch during the day IF you want to get it all done. i still ate and drank throughout the day.

i still do this now. i'm pretty sure the company knows what i'm doing and they haven't said anything about it.

2) There was never a requirement for a local driver to take a 1/2 break even before september 29, last year. Thus, me being in "violation" was and is totally bunk.

i therefore, aspire to work in the "safety" department-----so i can do absolutely nothing except surf the net all day, ------and get paid for it.

Ok, to clarify:

1) When safety got on my case about a) wanting me to use elog AND diad at the same time whenever i did P+D and b) got on my case about NOT taking a 1/2 break within 8 hours-----thus "supposedly" being in violation, this was before september 29, 2020 last year----before the rule change.

i had always taken a lunch----just after i was done all my pickups and deliveries; i wouldn't "depart" until 30 mins after the last customer. The way the company has set things up, you don't have time to take a lunch during the day IF you want to get it all done. i still ate and drank throughout the day.

i still do this now. i'm pretty sure the company knows what i'm doing and they haven't said anything about it.

2) There was never a requirement for a local driver to take a 1/2 break even before september 29, last year. Thus, me being in "violation" was and is totally bunk.

i therefore, aspire to work in the "safety" department-----so i can do absolutely nothing except surf the net all day, ------and get paid for it.
For reasons obvious to most you're a fool. It's not our responsibility as drivers to make up for management scheduling/planning incompetence by foregoing sensible breaks/lunches in order to perform all your assigned tasks.

This statement of yours shows exactly what I'm talking about - "The way the company has set things up, you don't have time to take a lunch during the day IF you want to get it all done." You are entitled to take your breaks and lunches and if you can't make all your deliveries/pickups when you take your authorized breaks/lunch it's because of inept management planning. What does it take for that to sink into your head?

Ok, to clarify:

My lunch break is my time. I am entitled to it and if I miss a delivery or pick up that's not my responsibility.

For reasons obvious to most you're a fool. It's not our responsibility as drivers to make up for management scheduling/planning incompetence by foregoing sensible breaks/lunches in order to perform all your assigned tasks.

This statement of yours shows exactly what I'm talking about - "The way the company has set things up, you don't have time to take a lunch during the day IF you want to get it all done." You are entitled to take your breaks and lunches and if you can't make all your deliveries/pickups when you take your authorized breaks/lunch it's because of inept management planning. What does it take for that to sink into your head?

Thanks. i understand all of that. i understand that management could/should do a better job. But, practically speaking, ARE things going to change? There are SO many teachers that have to buy their own supplies for the kids (i REALLY don't agree with that). i've even heard of cops who have to spend their OWN money to fix their assigned cruisers.

The point i'm getting at is, i feel sometimes, you gotta make compromises for the big picture outcome to happen. Where else are you going to make $29.67, almost $30 hr plus overtime and pretty good benefits?

Constantly eating and drinking between stops and even while driving is not of a serious consequence to me. IF i was really tired, then yes, i would take 30 mins in the middle of the day. But, C'mon.......

i DO take 30 mins, i just do it at the last stop when i'm all done. So i'm not "giving away" any time. i think management knows EXACTLY what i'm doing because they've never asked why am i taking over 30 mins for this or that stop? i can "get away" with certain stuff. Sometimes i will not depart the last stop until after 30 mins have past----and this is for like a 50lb delivery. Sometimes i will just go to a restaurant and just sit for 30 mins and don't put in any delay status on the diad. No one says jack-diddly about it.

1) i work thru lunch. BUT i still take a lunch at the end when i'm all done, so i'm not leaving any money on the table. i don't go around hungry or thirsty, i bring my own food with me.

2) i SIMP for women (and men) for inside deliveries.

3) i SIMP for women (and men) at residential deliveries.

i made 87,000 last year doing p+d, was home everynight, slept well and had good benefits. The P+D job here really is a good gig---besides the B.S. It works for me.

Thanks. i understand all of that. i understand that management could/should do a better job. But, practically speaking, ARE things going to change? There are SO many teachers that have to buy their own supplies for the kids (i REALLY don't agree with that). i've even heard of cops who have to spend their OWN money to fix their assigned cruisers.

The point i'm getting at is, i feel sometimes, you gotta make compromises for the big picture outcome to happen. Where else are you going to make $29.67, almost $30 hr plus overtime and pretty good benefits?

Constantly eating and drinking between stops and even while driving is not of a serious consequence to me. IF i was really tired, then yes, i would take 30 mins in the middle of the day. But, C'mon.......

i DO take 30 mins, i just do it at the last stop when i'm all done. So i'm not "giving away" any time. i think management knows EXACTLY what i'm doing because they've never asked why am i taking over 30 mins for this or that stop? i can "get away" with certain stuff. Sometimes i will not depart the last stop until after 30 mins have past----and this is for like a 50lb delivery. Sometimes i will just go to a restaurant and just sit for 30 mins and don't put in any delay status on the diad. No one says jack-diddly about it.

1) i work thru lunch. BUT i still take a lunch at the end when i'm all done, so i'm not leaving any money on the table. i don't go around hungry or thirsty, i bring my own food with me.

2) i SIMP for women (and men) for inside deliveries.

3) i SIMP for women (and men) at residential deliveries.

i made 87,000 last year doing p+d, was home everynight, slept well and had good benefits. The P+D job here really is a good gig---besides the B.S. It works for me.
You NEVER get the liability aspect of your actions in a court of law if you wind up there.....just how it benefits you at the moment. Same as accepting tips and entering customers domain against company policy. With all the slip sliding you do when working I hope you never wind up in court trying to defend yourself.

Yeah, we had another driver facing a suspension for not updating. Nevermind, we can't often log on until sometimes 20-40 AFTER we leave the terminal----because "the system hasn't caught up....."

The company is still on "numbersmania" and i'll play along, but i guess they don't care about freight actually being delivered.......?

So, the way i look at it, my job is:

1) Don't run into anything.

2) Keep the diad up to date at all times no matter what.

3) Pickup freight (because we care more about the money than the customer which is why i listed pickup BEFORE delivery....)

4) Deliver freight.

Damaging freight is perfectly ok, just don't crash into anything with the truck. Does anyone ever get disiplined for not strapping freight down? NOPE. But God help you if you're 1 minute late updating your status.......

So, actually delivering the freight is down 4 on the list, not #1.

Like i've said before: We are not a trucking company anymore----we are a NUMBERS company.
Welcome to the real trucking world of making an abundant profit based on good numbers. XPO LOGISTICS is ALL about the numbers, where I used to work. Fortunately, I’m retired now so I don’t have to put up with all the Mickey Mouse stuff.
luckily you don’t have to put up w/ driver facing inboard cameras, or do you?

Welcome to the real trucking world of making an abundant profit based on good numbers. XPO LOGISTICS is ALL about the numbers, where I used to work. Fortunately, I’m retired now so I don’t have to put up with all the Mickey Mouse stuff.
luckily you don’t have to put up w/ driver facing inboard cameras, or do you?
No cameras at least till contract time in 2023.