Pitt-Ohio | Terrible Debut

Pitt started direct coverage in NY this past week after completing the purchase of Teal's. They had a few months to plan for opening day. I was expecting drivers in uniform and some new equipment rolling into customers. Instead drivers have no uniforms, tractors with a makeshift sign on the doors that say Pitt Ohio, with a beat up Teal's trailer behind it. Drivers are still using Teal's pro stickers when making pickups. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. Hopefully they turn this around quickly !
I’m new to this forum however I’ve been in the industry 23 years most have which has been in foodservice delivery. I tried once to get out of this with FXF and my hours dropped to to 15 to 20 per week after 10 months and I couldn’t hold on anymore so….. back to the handcart and ramp I went. I have since been offered a line haul position with Pitt and it sounds good however I would take a pretty big drop in pay. Just curious what your thoughts are on this? It is with one of the newly acquired Teals in Upsate Ny. I’m ok with the pay drop provided it is stable and hopefully progressively growing in our area with maybe an increase in the near future. Again I’m new to this forum and I would definitely appreciate any info offered!!

I’m new to this forum however I’ve been in the industry 23 years most have which has been in foodservice delivery. I tried once to get out of this with FXF and my hours dropped to to 15 to 20 per week after 10 months and I couldn’t hold on anymore so….. back to the handcart and ramp I went. I have since been offered a line haul position with Pitt and it sounds good however I would take a pretty big drop in pay. Just curious what your thoughts are on this? It is with one of the newly acquired Teals in Upsate Ny. I’m ok with the pay drop provided it is stable and hopefully progressively growing in our area with maybe an increase in the near future. Again I’m new to this forum and I would definitely appreciate any info offered!!
If you’re okay with the pay my opinion is that it would be a good move. This is just speculation but I would think that Pitt is looking to increase business, either through new customers or increased volume at existing customers, somewhat aggressively. They’re going to be investing heavily in properties and equipment and the potential growth in New York is probably greater than anywhere else in the system. If nothing else, linehaul is much easier on an aging body than food service and you’re much less likely to be injured.

If you’re okay with the pay my opinion is that it would be a good move. This is just speculation but I would think that Pitt is looking to increase business, either through new customers or increased volume at existing customers, somewhat aggressively. They’re going to be investing heavily in properties and equipment and the potential growth in New York is probably greater than anywhere else in the system. If nothing else, linehaul is much easier on an aging body than food service and you’re much less likely to be injured.
Thank you for the reply sir. It sounds very promising so hopefully it’ll work out.

Handtruck , ramps , stairs , coolers will shorten your life friend . If they can't offer you line haul then you need to move forward before you seriously get hurt in a career ending fall servicing some disrespectful customer and their bad stairs or ice covered walk . Plenty of driving jobs out there for a good hand like you . You seem like a dedicated and good driver , do what your heart tells you and we will be here for you to bounce things off . Plenty of worn out drivers here with plenty to say .

Good Luck / Smokestack TB Admin .
By the way , WELCOME DRIVER

Welcome to Pitt if you decide to accept the offer. I do p&d and really don't know much about the linehaul side. I did linehaul with another carrier for 8 years and loved it, but I wouldn't be able to do nights now. Pitt is a good company and I think they will be working to grow that area. Do keep in mind that the economy is shaky now so somewhere down the road, that may affect the stability, but no worse than the food industry. I see restaurants closing frequently now, and suspect that we get worse. Good luck on whatever you decide.

E4D4596F-837B-44F1-8D20-2D83D317B646.md.jpg
Used by a lot of carriers on this board everyday and not once has a customer ever said “ we’re NOT giving you the freight because of the truck”
I always wondered, I'd bet anyone can just drive one of these into any customer, invent a carrier name and say they are that carrier and are there for a pickup???
Who knows, that may have happened already...

Welcome to Pitt if you decide to accept the offer. I do p&d and really don't know much about the linehaul side. I did linehaul with another carrier for 8 years and loved it, but I wouldn't be able to do nights now. Pitt is a good company and I think they will be working to grow that area. Do keep in mind that the economy is shaky now so somewhere down the road, that may affect the stability, but no worse than the food industry. I see restaurants closing frequently now, and suspect that we get worse. Good luck on whatever you decide.
I decided to move forward with the linehaul position. I have covered linehaul in Foodservice hundreds of times over the years however this schedule seems much more appealing, I should see my family as much if not more than day shift in my current role as I normally start around 1 am and work until 530pm ish then fall asleep on the couch around 7pm. The new position is 8pm until approximately 4 am. As I’ve said before I’m new to these forums however I will try to update when possible. Again thank you for the replies and support!

I decided to move forward with the linehaul position. I have covered linehaul in Foodservice hundreds of times over the years however this schedule seems much more appealing, I should see my family as much if not more than day shift in my current role as I normally start around 1 am and work until 530pm ish then fall asleep on the couch around 7pm. The new position is 8pm until approximately 4 am. As I’ve said before I’m new to these forums however I will try to update when possible. Again thank you for the replies and support!
Best of luck to you, I’d be willing to take a huge pay cut to get away from that schedule. 1am to 5:30 pm is unreasonable, even by trucking standards.

I figured I would do an update while I was thinking of it. I’m just about done with my second week, I worked with a trainer for 3 nights that actually came to me instead of me going to them which I was very impressed with. So far I’m happy with my decision and everything seems promising. The tech seems to be lacking a bit (verizon e logs) from what I’m used to however the way it sounds that’s a Teal’s issues and not on Pitt since the trainer said they are on Peoplenet which I’m used to. Overall everyone has been accommodating and willing to help with any issues and both the drivers and warehouse employees seem laid back and easy to work with. The overall culture is different from my only other ltl experience FXF and obviously 100% different from Foodservice. One of my concerns (money) doesn’t seem to be an issue as several drivers and dock supervisor’s have helped me with auxiliary time working on the dock when possible. And the schedule……. I have averaged 9 to 10 hours a night! Whether or not that is the norm in the Pitt world I’m not sure but I can honestly tell you is a huge plus for me due to the 16+ I was doing in Foodservice, Basically I’m taking more home now if you factor in the pay/hours ratio and being paid weekly vs bi-weekly. I will update again when possible but as I’ve said so far so good. Oh and driving a brand new Pitt Mack is nice too. Again thank you for the support!

What barn are you running out of ? Best of luck driver

Good to hear you’re happy with your decision. We’re currently in the midst of changing the elog provider from PeopleNet to Maven. One of our drivers who is testing it said it will be much better than PeopleNet as far as features to make the driver’s job a little easier but they are still working out the bugs. I believe the goal is to complete the transition by year’s end but time will tell. You can definitely say goodbye to 16 hour days barring unforeseen circumstances. Running long runs every night would probably have you in the 55-60 hour range.

Pitt started direct coverage in NY this past week after completing the purchase of Teal's. They had a few months to plan for opening day. I was expecting drivers in uniform and some new equipment rolling into customers. Instead drivers have no uniforms, tractors with a makeshift sign on the doors that say Pitt Ohio, with a beat up Teal's trailer behind it. Drivers are still using Teal's pro stickers when making pickups. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. Hopefully they turn this around quickly !
Old Teal's trailers are starting next week beginning to get sent to auction. The Utica terminal is getting graded and is in much better shape already than a week ago. Drivers have their uniforms and the terminals are beginning to get a makeover. Gonna take awhile to get everything on the same computer systems but progress is being made. I'm seeing it daily with my own eyes.

Old Teal's trailers are starting next week beginning to get sent to auction. The Utica terminal is getting graded and is in much better shape already than a week ago. Drivers have their uniforms and the terminals are beginning to get a makeover. Gonna take awhile to get everything on the same computer systems but progress is being made. I'm seeing it daily with my own eyes.
Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update.
Finished my first week. Their looking for another linehaul driver I'm buffalo now. Want to double that amount in time. The higher ups have been there this past week. I'm getting the same answers from all of them. Teals was a dump to put it nicely. They've painted and put new flooring in the office. Upgraded the internet speeds and computers. Brought in a few new tractors and are hiring a mechanic and additional office staff.

Finished my first week. Their looking for another linehaul driver I'm buffalo now. Want to double that amount in time. The higher ups have been there this past week. I'm getting the same answers from all of them. Teals was a dump to put it nicely. They've painted and put new flooring in the office. Upgraded the internet speeds and computers. Brought in a few new tractors and are hiring a mechanic and additional office staff.
Good to hear they’re making some real progress. I’ve seen the before and after of a few terminals that Pitt has moved into and can tell you they spare no expense when getting the entire property up to their standards. I’ve seen a few of their tractors, including one that’s been parked up in Hazleton for at least a month that I know of that I’d be hesitant to use as a jockey truck. Hopefully new equipment will start rolling in more often because shortages already have a number of trucks still running well past their retirement dates on top of the fact that they never seem to have enough tractors to support the amount of freight and drivers to begin with, which has been the case at my terminal for as long as I’ve been here.

Any discussion about buying the Buffalo New Penn terminal ? They will be moving out very soon. Would be a nice terminal for Pitt. If they continue the turnpike doubles operation they can hook them up right on the property.

Any discussion about buying the Buffalo New Penn terminal ? They will be moving out very soon. Would be a nice terminal for Pitt. If they continue the turnpike doubles operation they can hook them up right on the property.
I haven't heard anything about any property purchases. Their going to be shutting down the turnpike doubles operations.