TForce | TFI may be interested in talking to ArcBest about operational collaboration, TFI chief says

Employees of all the companies ABF bought were dovetailed, caused a lot of hard feelings every time. Navajo, ETMF & Worldway, (Carolina).
yep, we (Aye Bee Fuh) were told that the hillbillies (Carolina) would be 'entailed'==put @ the bottom of our board. Well, the little farts had the nerve to come over and post their seniority list on our bulletin boards.

Results: DOVETAIL (might as well been tongue in groove (if you know what I mean. I got knocked down 4 spots and it hurt. Beware..don't believe anything that you are told...you will do what they say or go elsewhere...

yep, we (Aye Bee Fuh) were told that the hillbillies (Carolina) would be 'entailed'==put @ the bottom of our board. Well, the little farts had the nerve to come over and post their seniority list on our bulletin boards.

Results: DOVETAIL (might as well been tongue in groove (if you know what I mean. I got knocked down 4 spots and it hurt. Beware..don't believe anything that you are told...you will do what they say or go elsewhere...
CFC had some old dudes in Cherryville.

Yup and the better contract would survive. That would be ABF contract and dovetail. Never going to happen just a bunch of writers trying to get click bait.
I didn't ask the question for clickbait. It was a legitimate question deserving of discussion, IMHO.
While I believe it is unlikely TFI will acquire ABF in an outright purchase the possibility that there will be some sort of collaboration between the two is possible. TFI is holding large terminal spaces that are seriously underused, and it is no secret they are searching for revenue from those properties. Never say never, todays Companies are beholden to the shareholders and if it makes economic sense it might happen.
IF it happens there will be hurt feelings on all sides.

CFC had some old dudes in Cherryville.
not just in Chair-uh-Vull, but all over the east coast. Really s&cked for the guys that
built Aye Bee FUH..
It was explained to us that Aye Bee Fuh wanted the blueprint that Worldway had in the east...

No Joke....IF it happens there will be hurt feelings on all sides.

Still bitter today...

I doubt this will ever happen. Nobody wants the pension obligation ABF has. If such a buyout were to happen, the buyer or employees do not have the luxury of picking and choosing what they want or wish for. The ruling on the ABF acquistions were they were mergers, therefore employees from companies being bought were dovetailed by seniority. I did not like it but that was the ruling. This happened with the Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF & Carolina Worldway acquisitions. ABF supplied the funds & was the surviving carrier but the opinion of the committee was they were mergers. Lower seniority employees from both companies lost their jobs & others had to move to keep their jobs.
ABF went through a takeover attempt, (Leveraged buyout), many years ago & survived but it was costly.
Doc, were Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF, and Carolina already under the National Master Freight Agreement when ABF purchased them? I was here for the Carolina dove-tail and I do believe they were. I don’t know about the other three as they were before my time. The reason I ask is because TFI and ABF are each under different contracts. Therefore, the ABF National Master Freight Agreement language (Article 5, Section 2.) would only apply if both companies were under the same NMFA contract. To my knowledge the current UPS Freight Agreement has no language about “Merger of Companies”.
If there is any language on mergers of companies, someone please direct me to it so I can read it (Article and Section number).

Last edited:
Doc, were Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF, and Carolina already under the National Master Freight Agreement when ABF purchased them? I was here for the Carolina dove-tail and I do believe they were. I don’t know about the other three as they were before my time. The reason I ask is because TFI and ABF are each under different contracts. Therefore, the ABF National Master Freight Agreement language (Article 5, Section 2.) would only apply if both companies were under the same NMFA contract. To my knowledge the current UPS Freight Agreement has no language about “Merger of Companies”.
If there is any language on mergers of companies, someone please direct me to it so I can read it (Article and Section number).
Youngblood was a small family owned carrier in North Carolina. I don't know if they were part of the NMFA or maybe a Carolina regional contract. The employees did dovetail as I remember. A few drivers came to LR. The other carriers were under the NMFA with various conferences. Part of Navajo was in the Western Conference since it was headquartered in Denver with a large terminal in Albuquerque & various other large cities. ABF did sell some real estate from the acquistions especially where there were multiple terminals in the same area.
Mergers or buyouts have always been difficult, ABF is one of the few carriers to survive buyouts of a union carrier. In the case of Navajo ABF bought a larger company to expand operating rights & secure terminals & real estate before deregulation.
I have a friend who worked in the Western Conference for a number of years. He draws a pension from there & also Central States.
I don't know what the ruling would be on seniority if there were a merger involving two carriers under different contracts.

Youngblood was out of Fletcher N C, I'm almost sure they were under NMFA at the time.
I think it also stated that carriers with parallel operating authority would be dovetailed.

Youngblood was a small family owned carrier in North Carolina. I don't know if they were part of the NMFA or maybe a Carolina regional contract. The employees did dovetail as I remember. A few drivers came to LR. The other carriers were under the NMFA with various conferences. Part of Navajo was in the Western Conference since it was headquartered in Denver with a large terminal in Albuquerque & various other large cities. ABF did sell some real estate from the acquistions especially where there were multiple terminals in the same area.
Mergers or buyouts have always been difficult, ABF is one of the few carriers to survive buyouts of a union carrier. In the case of Navajo ABF bought a larger company to expand operating rights & secure terminals & real estate before deregulation.
I have a friend who worked in the Western Conference for a number of years. He draws a pension from there & also Central States.
I don't know what the ruling would be on seniority if there were a merger involving two carriers under different contracts.
I know this is ancient history, but I recall dovetailing with TSC, Hoover, Harris, PIE, Helms & Byrnes, R C, And Transcon
There were rumors PIE didn't acquire Transcon, but I know for sure drivers in Charl, ATL, and Knox. were dovetailed.

Youngblood was out of Fletcher N C, I'm almost sure they were under NMFA at the time.
I think it also stated that carriers with parallel operating authority would be dovetailed.
Parallel operating authority, that is exactly what I was getting at.
Most union carriers abided by the NMFA even if they were not signers of the Contract. I believe the terminology was, "white paper agreement". The UPGF contracts were standalone deals, but the fact they have parallel operating authority made me ask the question initially.
Will the TFI people carry seniority from Overnite, or will it only count for only the years as UPS or Union?
Glad to be watching this from the sidelines.

Don't care who buys who , if the pay rate is right you can buy ABF + change the name to McDonal if they want , ABF & ArcBest are playing games , what a convenient right around contract time .
Contract time. What a convenient time to add a little drama.
Both Companies coming up on critical contract negotiations, let's throw a big curveball into the deal, well played.
They all know they are going to have to throw out record wage and benefits out if they want to settle quick. With the record OR's TFI has set, they want more, not less. This will be interesting to watch. Lets see what Sean is made of.
I believe the railroad got around 23%........

Parallel operating authority, that is exactly what I was getting at.
Most union carriers abided by the NMFA even if they were not signers of the Contract. I believe the terminology was, "white paper agreement". The UPGF contracts were standalone deals, but the fact they have parallel operating authority made me ask the question initially.
Will the TFI people carry seniority from Overnite, or will it only count for only the years as UPS or Union?
Glad to be watching this from the sidelines.
When UPS bought OVNT they bought the seniority list too. So OVNT employees retained their senority.

I doubt this will ever happen. Nobody wants the pension obligation ABF has. If such a buyout were to happen, the buyer or employees do not have the luxury of picking and choosing what they want or wish for. The ruling on the ABF acquistions were they were mergers, therefore employees from companies being bought were dovetailed by seniority. I did not like it but that was the ruling. This happened with the Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF & Carolina Worldway acquisitions. ABF supplied the funds & was the surviving carrier but the opinion of the committee was they were mergers. Lower seniority employees from both companies lost their jobs & others had to move to keep their jobs.
ABF went through a takeover attempt, (Leveraged buyout), many years ago & survived but it was costly.
1987 I believe it was, senior mgt had to borrow the money to buy enough common stock back on the open market to get controlling interest back and stop Razorback Aquisitions cold. They sold off their shares and walked away when they saw they couldn't take over, Robert Young asked us for a 15% wage giveback to fund it, but we rejected it. They thanked us for considering it anyway and went and borrowed the money themselves (senior mgt) and did it to save the company from being taken over and torn apart and sold off for it's assets ala hostile takeover... It was a different company back then. One you could be proud to work for...

That’s the size of my sister in-law before she has lunch
is thqt LuLu from Hee-Haw? I'd rather have Linda Thompson or Mary Ann Gordon!

I guess that shows my age. BTW, my 6Pak and LuLu's would require more than an extra large steering wheel....if you know what I mean?