TForce | TFI reports remarkable turnaround of UPS Freight in Q2

Interesting to say the least. Time will tell, after only 90 days at the helm they got the OR down 8-9 points is impressive to some, questionable to others. How much is smoke and mirrors is yet to be seen. Give it a year then I will be more confident of the "numbers".
I imagine the conference calls are a butt slappin', high fivin', you da man, feel good fest, party all day clusterf$#%.
Am I glad the OR is down? Absolutely. The Company has to make money to be the Company, a lot of good people here depend on it to live a decent life.
Now, what is in it for us?
Low starting pay is problem #1. Competition paying $25 and up to start.
Morale is issue #2. Stop beating a good mule, he works best when content. Forcing a driver that spends 9-11 hours behind the wheel should not be required to do hub dock work. P&D drivers with heavy oversize residential deliveries putting their safety on the line must be addressed.
My congratulations to my Brothers and Sisters who make this happen everyday in spite of our management. You deserve the credit, after surviving the Big Brown Monster for all these years and sticking to it maybe we can get back to the basics of LTL.
Be safe..............

Interesting to say the least. Time will tell, after only 90 days at the helm they got the OR down 8-9 points is impressive to some, questionable to others. How much is smoke and mirrors is yet to be seen. Give it a year then I will be more confident of the "numbers".
I imagine the conference calls are a butt slappin', high fivin', you da man, feel good fest, party all day clusterf$#%.
Am I glad the OR is down? Absolutely. The Company has to make money to be the Company, a lot of good people here depend on it to live a decent life.
Morale is issue #2. Stop beating a good mule, he works best when content. Forcing a driver that spends 9-11 hours behind the wheel should not be required to do hub dock work. P&D drivers with heavy oversize residential deliveries putting their safety on the line must be addressed.
My congratulations to my Brothers and Sisters who make this happen everyday in spite of our management. You deserve the credit, after surviving the Big Brown Monster for all these years and sticking to it maybe we can get back to the basics of LTL.
Be safe..............
Rome wasn't built in a day, good start!

:poke:

Bedard: Teamsters no barrier to TForce Freight’s success​

In the coming quarters, TFI will be focusing on bringing down costs as well, Bedard said. One big area, he said, is the size of cargo claims, with the aim of getting it to 0.25% of revenue. He also expects a renewal of the fleet to bring down maintenance costs.

Bedard said he expects TForce’s operating ratio to hit below 90% “in the next three quarters.” He pointed to TFI’s Canadian LTL operation, and its 78% operating ratio in the last quarter “in a terrible market compared to the U.S,” as evidence that the company can deliver.

He also reiterated that TForce Freight’s large unionized workforce — with 11,000 Teamsters members — poses no barrier to TFI’s plans, citing the company’s experience in Canada.

“Most of our Canadian operation is unionized with the Teamsters, and we do really well,” he said.
:1036316054:

Bedard said TFI is having a lot of conversations with shippers that it views as not paying enough. He pointed to one recent negotiation in the current quarter with a major account that the carrier was servicing at a loss.

“We were running this account with a 120 OR,” Bedard said. “What were we smoking when we gave the rates to this guy? … So July 1, we address the situation with the shipper. We address a lot of situations like that.”

They used the freight side by heavily discounting freight in lieu of customers shipping more packages. If they didn’t have lots of packages to ship they were either discarded, rated jacked etc.
We got ugly freight often. The kind of freight our LTL competition frowned on and priced out.
The tell tale was that those ugly freight shippers we had, were shipping lots of packages.
Also our sales team stated that UPS didnt not want to grow the freight side. If they didnt have packages they were not considered regardless if it was good dense profitable freight.
Screw UPS for that kind of practice. Karma will bite them.

I’m glad we are back on track and pricing properly and competitively. We still have many quarters to go to see if we are truly becoming leaner and meaner.

Be safe..............
It's amazing that a company can actually make money when they start charging people to ship it!

Be safe..............

Some terminals here in N.E. starting at $28.50.

2) Ideally, i'd like to see NO linehaul/road drivers doing dockwork except in cases of extreme emergencies---like unexpected heavy freight volume.
As a temporary compromise, if the run is less than say 400 miles total (that's roundtrip) then the driver can work the dock.

3) i think better/specialized equipment could help with residentials-----sunsetter could benefit with a special cart.

Rogue fitness should be loaded heavy side towards nose, light side toward rear so you can angle it out onto the liftgate. Really rogue could load their pallets better and if possible not make 'em so long. i know that's not possible in all cases.

yankee candle too heavy/too tall, but i don't think that one is going to go too far cos it's not a large volume account?