ABF | That day!

Muler

TB Veteran
Credits
When do you hope to retire and what would you like to do? And if you are retired what have you done and how long have you been retired

When do you hope to retire and what would you like to do? And if you are retired what have you done and how long have you been retired
6 years away. I figure you need 3 things to retire. 1) Physical health. Can’t enjoy life from a chair. 2) Financial health. Won’t be much fun without money. 3) Emotional health. You need a reason to get out of bed everyday. That’s my recipe and I’m working towards that. Wish me luck. Thanks

6 years away. I figure you need 3 things to retire. 1) Physical health. Can’t enjoy life from a chair. 2) Financial health. Won’t be much fun without money. 3) Emotional health. You need a reason to get out of bed everyday. That’s my recipe and I’m working towards that. Wish me luck. Thanks
I hope you enjoy a long happy healthy retirement that you have earned. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I plan on retiring in 10-20 years (age 64-74) for the reasons ABFhamner gave. At the moment I have good health (2yr physical card) and I go to the my doctor once a year (annual physical) some times twice or three times (very rarely). I'm financial well off (for the most part). I'm happily married, 29 years, and I still enjoy my work (most days). And I'm active, hiking, working my garden, bushhoging, playing with dogs, (I was scuba diving 36hrs ago). I worry that retirement will make my life turn into regret that I miss the good times (now).

I plan on retiring in 10-20 years (age 64-74) for the reasons ABFhamner gave. At the moment I have good health (2yr physical card) and I go to the my doctor once a year (annual physical) some times twice or three times (very rarely). I'm financial well off (for the most part). I'm happily married, 29 years, and I still enjoy my work (most days). And I'm active, hiking, working my garden, bushhoging, playing with dogs, (I was scuba diving 36hrs ago). I worry that retirement will make my life turn into regret that I miss the good times (now).
I hope you get what you deserve.

Wanted to go last year, have the time, don't have the age. Working or not, I want to see Trubisky take Da Bears to the Promised Land for the next 5 years. Hope you have a long and enjoyable retirement Muler, if anybody deserves it, you do.

Wanted to go last year, have the time, don't have the age. Working or not, I want to see Trubisky take Da Bears to the Promised Land for the next 5 years. Hope you have a long and enjoyable retirement Muler, if anybody deserves it, you do.
Thank you very much. Hope all is well with you.

If retirement age maintains at 65, I’ve got roughly 27 more years to go. It’s a long time looking at it, but I hope to enjoy my working days as much as possible and then retire to lots of sand, surf and golf. I’m investing as well as contributing to my 401, and I’ve got some money coming in on the side too. I’ve got a part-time church music gig (I was an organ major in college) and I plan to keep doing that even into retirement. Maybe take on a church gig a little more involved than what I’ve got now, direct the choir and play for church. I want to do that as long as I can. Music is really my passion, not trucks.

If retirement age maintains at 65, I’ve got roughly 27 more years to go. It’s a long time looking at it, but I hope to enjoy my working days as much as possible and then retire to lots of sand, surf and golf. I’m investing as well as contributing to my 401, and I’ve got some money coming in on the side too. I’ve got a part-time church music gig (I was an organ major in college) and I plan to keep doing that even into retirement. Maybe take on a church gig a little more involved than what I’ve got now, direct the choir and play for church. I want to do that as long as I can. Music is really my passion, not trucks.
That is something to look forward to. Trust me that 27 years will fly by.

Song I can relate to you saying 27 years and as muler said it will fly by. Seems to me I felt the same way long ago and then BAM it's almost time to get out of dodge, seems the older I got the faster the years went by,doesn't seem like I have been with my company for 23 years now and I have about 18 months and that's it.Have a couple of projects I want to get done before I go like a new drive way and furance/a/c unit. Other than that everything payed off or will be before I step out. That's the most important thing is little or no debt, have 7 grandkids that will keep me busy probably more than now . any ways stay safe and enjoy life

Song I can relate to you saying 27 years and as muler said it will fly by. Seems to me I felt the same way long ago and then BAM it's almost time to get out of dodge, seems the older I got the faster the years went by,doesn't seem like I have been with my company for 23 years now and I have about 18 months and that's it.Have a couple of projects I want to get done before I go like a new drive way and furance/a/c unit. Other than that everything payed off or will be before I step out. That's the most important thing is little or no debt, have 7 grandkids that will keep me busy probably more than now . any ways stay safe and enjoy life
You said it the time will fly. I hope you have a long and happy and healthy retirement.

Thanks brother I know when you go Cleveland won't be the same I'm just a few miles to the west of ya

Thank you.
Congrats to you Muler. I was lucky to vest 18 years & ALL @ ABF & lucky enough to receive 2 grand a month from the pension fund. I have been blessed. If my last 18 years in trucking had not been under Central States C-6 pension & medical, I would still be driving killing myself. Thank God for CBA contracts. Might be hard to believe, but, you will be twice as busy in retirement than you were working. Been retired 30 months & wonder how I had time to get anything done when working. Remember those 2 projects you want to start when you retire? They just turned in to 20 projects. Instead of projects, take your grand kids or any kid & show them how to properly drag a buzz bait across the top of the water. von.

Last edited:
Congrats to you Muler. I was lucky to vest 18 years & ALL @ ABF & lucky to receive 2 grand a month from the pension fund. I have been lucky. If my last 18 years in trucking had not been under Central States C-6 pension & medical, I would still be driving killing myself. Thank God for CBA contracts. Might be hard to believe, but, you will be twice as busy in retirement than you were working. Been retired 30 months & wonder how I had time to get anything done when working. Remember those 2 projects you want to start when you retire? They just turned in to 20 projects. Instead of projects, take your grandkids or any kid & show them how to properly drag a buzz bait across the top of the water. von.
That’s what it’s all about Von having a pension so you can go and be with your family and do things with them and not have to worry about every nickel you spend I’m glad for you Brother enjoy your retirement I hope you have a long happy and healthy retirement.

That’s what it’s all about Von having a pension so you can go and be with your family and do things with them and not have to worry about every nickel you spend I’m glad for you Brother enjoy your retirement I hope you have a long happy and healthy retirement.
Thanks. I only had 18 years vested so I came out really good on the pension side. Some guys @ work retired with 3000 to 3500 a month, but had to put in 30 to 35 years to get it. I started late in the Teamsters & had to go out on a Medical Disability. And because of the timing, the disability was thru Social Security not thru Central States which resulted in less money & no guarantee that they won't cut my benefits. But, Like I said, I am lucky. Right now I am alive, not Memorex. von.