ABF | That day!

After 41 years of ...driving truck,...I began to see the truck driving me..I was able to salvage a 31 year pension, in spite of a break-in-service where I was convinced I'd be a millionaire owning my own trucks.

...(...anyone want to know what it's like owning your own trucks,....well,.....I can tell you it's cheaper,...and less painful,...to buy a ball-peen hammer, and strike yourself in the forehead every time you think about owning trucks...)........

25 of those years were with ABF. And,....yes, they flew by.

I got out with my health in reasonably good shape. I watched many Brothers get out hurt, ...like Bro. Von.....This job is the proverbial young man's job.....Unfortunately, many of us Old Men are under the illusion that we're just as strong, and "springy" as we were 10 years ago. The companies,...facing a driver shortage of their own making,.......are more than happy to encourage that illusion.

Just had my One Year Anniversary. That flew by, also..........I've got many projects going..(at my pace, finally...) and with four children,....three married with grandkids,...and one active duty in the Mediterranean,.....I'm pestering them more than ever...

My Best Friend (Wife..) and I are travelling to all those places I saw years ago when I ran the road , and said to myself: "Boy, I wish my wife could see this..."

...(...she thinks my driving is atrocious,...because I'm still driving like I've got 45,000 in a trailer behind me.....Might take years to "detox" on that habit...).....

Enjoy yourself, Brother Muler.......Out of any occupation,...this is one where you can truly say you Earned it.......(...or survived it..)..

Retire,.....go disable the left turn signal on your car,....buy some High-Water pants and a Flat Hat,.......and I'll meet you at McDonalds every morning at 6:30 so we can "fix" the world's problems........

Seriously,....Congratulations, Brother!

Hey guys, I worked 39 years for Johnson Motor Lines, Ryder Truck Lines, Ryder/PIE, Roadway and retired from YRC when all the :crap: was hitting the :fan:. My T.M. told me you can't retire your too young. I told him, watch me no pension contributions, pay cuts no me. I retired at 57 years old and it was the best decision of my life. I have been retired for 8 years and the only thing I miss are my Teamster brothers that I worked with. I got out with my health intack and all of a sudden your life is yours again. Time with family and friends make it worthwhile to wake up every morning. If you can retire don't hesitate, enjoy that pension that you have earned by working hard all your Teamster years. No matter what they throw at us we can all say that we were part of a brotherhood that stood for something a long time ago. We fought for our brothers that would come after us so they and their families could enjoy what we did. I for one am proud to call myself a Teamster and I salute all of my brothers who stood for something through out their careers. Keep up the battle boys!!

Hey guys, I worked 39 years for Johnson Motor Lines, Ryder Truck Lines, Ryder/PIE, Roadway and retired from YRC when all the :crap: was hitting the :fan:. My T.M. told me you can't retire your too young. I told him, watch me no pension contributions, pay cuts no me. I retired at 57 years old and it was the best decision of my life. I have been retired for 8 years and the only thing I miss are my Teamster brothers that I worked with. I got out with my health intack and all of a sudden your life is yours again. Time with family and friends make it worthwhile to wake up every morning. If you can retire don't hesitate, enjoy that pension that you have earned by working hard all your Teamster years. No matter what they throw at us we can all say that we were part of a brotherhood that stood for something a long time ago. We fought for our brothers that would come after us so they and their families could enjoy what we did. I for one am proud to call myself a Teamster and I salute all of my brothers who stood for something through out their careers. Keep up the battle boys!!

I like that a lot. There are some fine people I was proud to work with.
Lot of wonderful memories,......makes it easy to forget the garbage you put up with,....and the idiots who circled your life like a cloud of mosquitoes......
Time for me to get out my rose colored glasses and look at the old picture albums.......

In late 2008 a few of us that had our time in had a conversation in the break room at Roadway ABQ.
Yellow and Roadway were about to be merged and we decided it was time to put in for our retirement and go.
Best decision I never planned. Right up there when I decided to leave Michigan and the CSPF, with seven years vested, and move to New Mexico and the Western Teamsters in 1981. My unplanned retirement at age 58, effective 06/01/2009.

Last edited:
You majored in playing the organ?

Ha, real original. I’ve NEVER heard that one before.

tAQ0lA8.jpg

This is my current gig.

That is seriously bad ass. Gotta love a guy who follows his passion.

Are you a Stan Kann fan?

Stan specialized in theatre organ, which is a different animal from the classical or church organ. I wouldn’t even begin to know where to begin on a theatre instrument. I do enjoy listening to it from time to time though.

The ability to play music is almost a..........saintly ......attribute. Most of us can't competently do it...Out of the shower, anyway.....
Music is a unifying, uplifting gift that crosses all lines.

Before we Anoint you though,...Brother Songremainsthesame,........Let's all remember you're holding a steering wheel just like the rest of us.......(...I'm just kidding....I greatly respect anyone who can play music..)......

My musical ability is the same as General Ulysses S. Grant.....When asked what his favorite piece of music was, he said he only had two....One was "Yankee Doodle", and the other one wasn't..........