That Smell...it Won’t Go Away...

zeroday

TB Veteran
Credits
I live in the mountains and on occasion I travel down the hill to visit civilization...today on the way back up a log truck coming down the (very winding) road and as he passed me I got a whiff of burning brakes and I have been smelling it all day...been 7 years since I retired...

Burning brakes ain’t as bad as the burning soot smell of a re-gen....
Some sounds I miss now are unmuffled jake brakes and a screaming two stroke Detroit.

Thanks for mentioning that Hatman, I was hoping to never hear the words 2 stroke again.
I really like to hear one, only if I'm not in the driver's seat.

Or your driving and the smells coming from the sleeper after a Pilot Buffet stop....
Before Holland, and Coop, my partner ate on the run a lot, and one day he couldn’t get back in the cab because of the kept leftovers.

Ibz4Que.jpg

Last edited:
Before Holland, and Coop, my partner ate on the run a lot, and one day he couldn’t get back in the cab because of the kept leftovers.

Ibz4Que.jpg
Great Caesar's ghost where does he keep his collection of pee jugs? You know he's hoarding them.

Its amazing those old engines stood up to what I put them through. This pertains to before computer controlled engines.

I was up in Bethlehem PA with a 425 cat against a container load that was extremely heavy. That would be where I cooked my brakes as well at one particular light near a river off a proper downgrade. Between that city and Baltimore was many hills to get across with that cursed container.

It was loaded with Peanut Butter and jelly. For export.

To this day I have some difficulty putting together a PBJ when I recall that poor kitty. We had a roadranger 10 behind that damn thing. Made for a truck that just did not like little hills. What I hated was a certain speed range in lower high range where the cab and front end would hop due to the pressure of power against the weight on that 5th wheel. It would get to shaking until we managed to get up to 60 or whatever.

However. One truck that takes the cake was a old Reo. 13 speed underdrive. Load that trailer without regard to weights, stuff it. Hop in and go.

There were times that poor engine would HOWL with a edge to it that indicated it quite had enough which is confirmed by the pegged pyro and dropping oil pressure along with radiator temps going the other way. Water? Worry about that after delivery. Swear we ran that thing a gallon low.

I can to this day not listen to a engine coming off redline without seeking out that special howl or even a small cough or sneeze indicating a problem somewhere. And thats the last thought I leave you with. Some of those trucks did not have gauges. So redline was pretty much all you got when you quit pulling a gear out and past time to upshift. One truck had a turbo that would whistle in the ear when it's flat out in a gear.

One rig had it's engine run away on me. The damn thing is winding up way past redline while the dumb boss is standing on my feet yelling about forgetting to turn off the GD truck. Hes wasting time screaming at me while the engine was fixing to detonate if possible. Thankfully the mechanic clapped off the air intake and it gulped whatever it put into it. Provoked even more screaming from now irate boss. I hate bosses like that.

I have blown intercoolers and other things that is breakable on big rigs but I have not had a turbo of the old school quit. They have always gotten the required 8 minute time at idle prior to shut down after the engine oil temp and pressure has cooled down some at the end of that time. Today's trucks I am afraid for the drivers, hop in push a button and drive without a clue. (No offense, its a generalization as to how much the stupid computers took away from drivers now...)

There is however one old engine that I hate to this day. Deeply resent, hate and curse...

Cummins NTC 300. Mated to a tall eaton 10. Every time you hit a little slope that is just enough to run water in one direction that big bitch would just dump Revs and force you down three gears before she redlines and spikes the ******* coolant. I think the cooling lines were too small inside that block. But I never really knew what it was up to.

That was not the only problem with it. If I was say 80000 and ground up grade at say 21 its ok. But take that same grade tomorrow and be overweight at 84000 and ground up again at 16. The lawman waiting behind would zip around and open the state scale in my face.

Payday!

Last edited:
Wait until the 18 y.o. get out here Brurning brakes might the norm so they can finish texting on those steep hills