Yellow | The 2021 IBT International Officers Election Ballot Count is Complete.

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits

2021 IBT International Officers Election​

The 2021 IBT International Officers Election Ballot Count is Complete.​

Judge Judy GIF

:1036316054:

Teamsters elect Hoffa opponents to lead union​

William B. Cassidy, Senior Editor | Nov 19, 2021 5:33PM EST

Members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters this week swept a new slate of officers to power headed by long-time opponents of outgoing leader James P. Hoffa in an election that will affect the course of future contracts talks with employers in trucking and other industries, including UPS.

With 90 percent of the votes counted as of Friday, the Teamsters United ticket reportedly had won 69 percent of the vote, prompting the union to issue a statement that Sean O’Brien, president of Local 25 in Boston, will succeed Hoffa as general president of the union, which has 1.4 million members.

Fred Zuckerman, president of Teamsters Local 89 in Louisville, Kentucky, home to UPS’s global air freight hub, was elected general secretary-treasurer of the Teamsters, succeeding Ken Hall, the union said. O’Brien and Zuckerman have pledged a more aggressive approach to contracts and organizing to expand the union.

The election is a reversal for those who backed a slate of candidates supported by Hoffa, who is retiring after serving as Teamsters president since 1998. In 2016, Hoffa narrowly defeated a challenge by Zuckerman.

O’Brien defeated rival Steve Vairma, international vice president at large, in every region of the US. Late in the vote count, Vairma was winning only in Canada, by 3,535 votes. Altogether, fewer than 15 percent of Teamsters members appear to have voted.

Contact William B. Cassidy at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter: @willbcassidy.

https://www.joc.com/trucking-logist...lect-hoffa-opponents-lead-union_20211119.html
:hyper:

All kidding aside these companies, especially Yellow, must be nervous not having Hoffa kissing their butts and sending the bargaining guru Ernie to give them everything they want in a new contract!
I believe we will be bargaining from a position of strength in 2024! Because the current contract allowed for purchase Transportation to be used Holland has slowly gotten rid of the open board. I know at my barn we had 37 guys, 20 bids and 17 running the board. Today we have 24 guys with 22 on bids and 2 running the board. I believe this has been a planned process since the last contract took effect the do not even attempt to hire anybody for the road.
I say if this is their game plan than we are bargaining from strength in 24, they want and need the purchase transportation language to stay the same then I want the exact same contract ABF agrees to in 2023. If they say no then we say no more purchase transportation, I really believe we can win with new Union leadership.
By the way if OZ sends Ernie in to negotiate I will be siding with the Canadians next election!