The Big R

That's exactly what it was called Hook, a "jitterbug", used for P&D back in the day. We had to "dance" under low bridges in Jersey City, around congested streets in Hoboken, and into narrow parking spots at Telstar Diner in Carlstadt. :smile new:
I also recall several cities having raised rail crossings, it was not uncommon for car haulers to get hung up on these things.

I also recall several cities having raised rail crossings, it was not uncommon for car haulers to get hung up on these things.
There was a notorious crossing like that in my hometown. The RR tracks curved and the outer rail was raised higher than the inner right at the road crossing. The town eventually put up signs warning car carriers to avoid the crossing because so many got hung up there.

Was this a east coast city trailer for low bridges, somewhere I read they were called Jitterbugs. I always thought Jitterbug was a dance.

jitterbug-big-r.md.jpg
Big Dave wants to order some of those, but 53’for Coop city ops. Says they could pull several mechanics out of the trailer repair shop, and put them back on mirror replacement, saving them money.

Many a meal at the Bendix.. Just checked the web, they are still open 24/7.
No, no, no, no longer 24/7. Like lots of area diners they have cut back on hours.

Sunday 6:30AM–4PM
Monday 6:30AM–8PM
Tuesday 6:30AM–8PM
Wednesday 6:30AM–8PM
Thursday 6:30AM–8PM
Friday 6:30AM–8PM
Saturday 6:30AM–4PM

Even here in the Metro NY area it's a little harder to find someplace to eat in the wee hours. Get away from this area and forget about it.

Last edited:
there use to be a diner at the intersection of paterson plank rd. and rt.17 in front of the go-go joint......been a few years since i was in that neck of the woods

there use to be a diner at the intersection of paterson plank rd. and rt.17 in front of the go-go joint......been a few years since i was in that neck of the woods
Meadowlands Diner, it's still there. Open 7am to 10pm everyday, no more 24 hours though.

Who remembers the little diner that used to be where Paterson Plank Road met Washington Ave, before the Meadowlands Sports Complex was built and the roads were rearranged a bit there?

No, no, no, no longer 24/7. Like lots of area diners they have cut back on hours.

Sunday 6:30AM–4PM
Monday 6:30AM–8PM
Tuesday 6:30AM–8PM
Wednesday 6:30AM–8PM
Thursday 6:30AM–8PM
Friday 6:30AM–8PM
Saturday 6:30AM–4PM

Even here in the Metro NY area it's a little harder to find someplace to eat in the wee hours. Get away from this area and forget about it.
Sad, you could always count on them.
There used to be a food truck outside of Allied Chemical in Elizabeth. Egg, bacon, cheese and potatoes on a poppy seed roll. The best....

That's exactly what it was called Hook, a "jitterbug", used for P&D back in the day. We had to "dance" under low bridges in Jersey City, around congested streets in Hoboken, and into narrow parking spots at Telstar Diner in Carlstadt. :smile new:
The narrow parking spots at the diner got me. Trucking sure has changed.

Those were the days! They would also load 30 deliveries on them, 1st stop on the tail and the rest of it in the nose. Some customers could wait days to receive their entire shipment because after they stripped your pick ups off they just started reloading it without pulling the old deliveries back. This was in the 70's later in the 90's they figured it out. :duh:

That's exactly what it was called Hook, a "jitterbug", used for P&D back in the day. We had to "dance" under low bridges in Jersey City, around congested streets in Hoboken, and into narrow parking spots at Telstar Diner in

Meadowlands Diner, it's still there. Open 7am to 10pm everyday, no more 24 hours though.

Who remembers the little diner that used to be where Paterson Plank Road met Washington Ave, before the Meadowlands Sports Complex was built and the roads were rearranged a bit there?
10 years ago that go go joint was still there. I'm beginning to think there are a bunch of us here on TB that have met in a previous life. These boards are great!