The Big R

Hookman

Just passing thru on my way home
PREMIUM
Credits
I know the Big R is still alive but the "R" has been covered with a yellow flag. I'll just leave that fight to the 30,000 employees to hash out & cuss each other all they want as that mess is bigger than anything I personally caused. Just enjoy some cool pictures & talk about the history of LTL. I'll add more as I find them so feel free to do the same & enjoy the pics mirrors and all.

big-r.md.jpg Big R car.

big-r-backbreaker.md.jpg My back hurts.

doubles-roadway.md.jpg Nice open road.

big-r-ready-line.md.jpg Ready line or inbound?

jitterbug-big-r.jpg Some call it a Jitterbug?

roadway-pusher.md.jpg Puss my azz over this mountain.

fallen-roadway.jpg Crap happens.

big-r-ready-line11ac2ec9fdd0949c.jpg

Hookman, do you know which facility this is? Could be Camp Hill, Pa but I'm not sure. If it is, that would be the shop line, back then just about every truck went through the shop for inspection before being dispatched. If it is Camp Hill that terminal across the street at the top you can barely see would be a Motor Freight Express terminal.

mfx.md.jpg

big-r-ready-line11ac2ec9fdd0949c.jpg

Hookman, do you know which facility this is? Could be Camp Hill, Pa but I'm not sure. If it is, that would be the shop line, back then just about every truck went through the shop for inspection before being dispatched. If it is Camp Hill that terminal across the street at the top you can barely see would be a Motor Freight Express terminal.

mfx.md.jpg
I snagged the picture on Fallen Flags & some of the guys were saying Camp Hill Pa. was probably the barn. That would be an impressive outbound line for sure. I worked at a company that had a mechanic check every rig before it went out the gate. Very smart as breakdowns on the road were minimal. I love the olde days pictures which show all the dirt & grime etc. That was trucking brother.

Seabreeze. I am a Cummins fan myself. Can’t beat the sound of a small cam getting it did. We call them “backdrop manifolds” though in the Midwest. Love it just the same. I have a pretty stout 400 “magnum” Cummins in a project I’m putting together. I plan on taking to the Tristate show out in clearbrook va next year

Here’s a backdrop manifold in action. Way better in person. Way better loaded, but for anyone who hasn’t heard one, just thank the good Lord up above Cummins didn’t invent this until after Francis Scott Key wrote his song. Our national anthem would be this otherwise.

Is this an extended hood 3000? Looks like a bigger hood than I’ve seen? Road Boss
I don't remember any freightlines running extended hoods for large engines unless it was for pulling triples. Extended hoods were used when 3408 bulldozer engines, Cummins KT & 12V Detroits were used for power. I recently saw a meticulously restored KW conventional at a truck show with a perfectly detailed 3408. I miss the 'Horsepower War' days among the engine manufacturers.

Seabreeze. I am a Cummins fan myself. Can’t beat the sound of a small cam getting it did. We call them “backdrop manifolds” though in the Midwest. Love it just the same. I have a pretty stout 400 “magnum” Cummins in a project I’m putting together. I plan on taking to the Tristate show out in clearbrook va next year
I guess that's the same manifold, the #6 port exhausts straight into the stack, (makes that huba, huba sound)
Maybe I'll see you at the show if all goes well.