XPO | The calling in sick policy

Dwell Time

The Dude
Credits
Not sure how much this pertains to the city but I know several line guys have already told me that if you call in sick it’s not just a point but they are “supposedly” making you sign an loi as well…any truth to this?

Yer sick.

DOT Law and Regulations etc says you are sick, don't drive.

If Management fires you for being sick? Document everything and bring the Gospel and Verse DOT regulations to your State's Unemployment and to the Union Hall if needed. You will get paid and maybe then some once a lawyer reviews the situation in the civil side.

Yer sick.

DOT Law and Regulations etc says you are sick, don't drive.

If Management fires you for being sick? Document everything and bring the Gospel and Verse DOT regulations to your State's Unemployment and to the Union Hall if needed. You will get paid and maybe then some once a lawyer reviews the situation in the civil side.
Their not Union so that’s a non starter And the labor board will tell them they are employees at will. Being employees at will the company can terminate them for violating the company policy. Heck they can fire them for no reason at all for that matter and there is no legal recourse as long as the termination does not violate state and federal discrimination laws. Go ahead and do the research and you will find out what I’m telling you is accurate. As far as unemployment they will not qualify if they are terminated for violating company policy.
Now that being said I hope that know one would force a driver to drive if he or she is in poor condition/ sick.

Not sure how much this pertains to the city but I know several line guys have already told me that if you call in sick it’s not just a point but they are “supposedly” making you sign an loi as well…any truth to this?
There is a rolling yearly maximum number of points for the non union locations . Yes, termination can occur for too many occurrences at the non represenoted locations.

Their not Union so that’s a non starter And the labor board will tell them they are employees at will. Being employees at will the company can terminate them for violating the company policy. Heck they can fire them for no reason at all for that matter and there is no legal recourse as long as the termination does not violate state and federal discrimination laws. Go ahead and do the research and you will find out what I’m telling you is accurate. As far as unemployment they will not qualify if they are terminated for violating company policy.
Now that being said I hope that know one would force a driver to drive if he or she is in poor condition/ sick.
While a company may fire you for any reason, being sick is not one of them. Go ahead, do the research and you will see….

While a company may fire you for any reason, being sick is not one of them. Go ahead, do the research and you will see….
You can be fired at Xpo for having too many occurrences in one year. I have personally witnessed it carried out.
No they can not force you to drive sick.

You can be fired at Xpo for having too many occurrences in one year. I have personally witnessed it carried out.
No they can not force you to drive sick.
They can have whatever policy in place they want but it doesn’t mean it’s right….

Federal regulations (DOT) over rule company policy. If a driver is sick and feels it's unsafe to drive he is protected by Federal law regardless of what the company says.

It’s easy if you want to keep you job don’t get sick. Take responsibility
You dont get to have that ability out here.

I had a case of arsenic once from the ground dust. Another of mountain sickness. Several raging fevers that took a week to resolve and so on. Sometimes end up in the ER or even the Trauma Center by chopper or ambulance.

When you are sick, nothing doing in driving. The company can repower the load or stick another driver on it. But I aint taking that thing one inch.

They can always fire me. It is indeed at will.

I will bury them in documentation and pick up my back pay in due time.

You dont get to choose not to be sick. What you CAN do is fight the sick and risk killing a family along with yourself. Remember safety first.

The last time I was sick related to the trucking was tested for TB. That was a old enemy from Baltimore. So they test for TB, until they read the results on the arm no work period. Three bosses confronted me raging wtf I was doing skipping out on weekly work?

"TB"

GTFO of here. And so I went.

I have had so many violently profane battles with dispatch and suits. I learned that if I personally am too sick to hold 40 ton at the speed limit and between the lines its not going one damn inch. They can fire me. (And have)

Its the principle of the thing. They can make all the policies they want. And do. You should see the convoluted byzantine process of calling in sick at walmart. I just be sick and then show up with the necessary documents from ER or Doctors with medicines etc.

That gets sorted in a few moments. If I still have a job or not? Irrevelant. I remember one incident where I blew a scales. Completely and absolutely blew it. They shipped me to the hospital on sight. I arrived with 104 fever, in bad need of fluids, chemicals and other things for a few days.

To this day I do no possess any memory. If it was not for the hospital reports from EMT, Law and so on I would not know it happened. The truck? Not my problem. Company took care of it.

Your answer is dead on. No CBA? They can do anything they want. Even discriminate. It is very tough to prove your rights were violated. And they don't have to tell you why you were fired. They only have to tell the courts why, when you take them to court. Good luck with that one. von.

You have seen someone get fired be calling off sick too many times?
Numerous times . Not as readily as the past because we are short handed and the driver shortage . It probably varies from terminal to terminal based on how your local managers handle it . They have some discretion at the local level . I have seen it come from corporate based on events and also from the local end.
One thing I haves learned over the years here is how much difference there is from terminal to terminal. I have come to understand that some guys are dumbfounded by what happens at other terminals. Like I have always said the range spans from country club like terminals to complete hell holes . I think that is a big factor why some can’t understand why some terminals voted for unionization and others felt no need . Live and learn.

Your answer is dead on. No CBA? They can do anything they want. Even discriminate. It is very tough to prove your rights were violated. And they don't have to tell you why you were fired. They only have to tell the courts why, when you take them to court. Good luck with that one. von.
They can do anything they want because the burden of proof is insurmountable at times . If Xpo wants to get rid of you they can .

Numerous times . Not as readily as the past because we are short handed and the driver shortage . It probably varies from terminal to terminal based on how your local managers handle it . They have some discretion at the local level . I have seen it come from corporate based on events and also from the local end.
No one beating down the door to work here. Maybe at some SICs but none around me. The days of drivers are a dime a dozen is long gone

One thing I haves learned over the years here is how much difference there is from terminal to terminal. I have come to understand that some guys are dumbfounded by what happens at other terminals. Like I have always said the range spans from country club like terminals to complete hell holes . I think that is a big factor why some can’t understand why some terminals voted for unionization and others felt no need . Live and learn.
I seen in my travels on LH. I see some places have monthly meeting and training and other like mine doesn't. I just found out that one FAC does not give there jockeys and DW there 2 15mins breaks. Hell they did even know they should get 2 15mins breaks. They were told only a 30min lunch.