XPO | The calling in sick policy

No one beating down the door to work here. Maybe at some SICs but none around me. The days of drivers are a dime a dozen is long gone
Thank god.

When FFE hired us as a Husband Wife team, we were treated first class.

Never mind the other 45 unwashed, starving penniless souls with gleaming eyes and shaking hands waiting for their daily bread and first weeks pay in the orientation trailer each week.

I stayed with them for years and it was a good run. Only they could not be timely on the billing at thousands of payable miles each week back then.

Years later we learned one of their driver managers were imprisoned in Mississippi for 20 years for embezzling. He had gotten caught redhanded twice. He tried to be clever but they had a sufficient good accounting to detect that kind of leaking cash.

Why that good accounting could not pay us on time every week we'll never know.

But the suits sure loved to track anything that failed and cost them 10 cents to be avoiding the 1000 dollar mess thats about to hit them in the shop. Just dont tell them if they only spent a dollar to fix the whatsit first when we asked them to in the first place.

I don't think there ever was a time where drivers being a "dime a dozen" was true. The majority of drivers are worth 2x to 3x the current compensation.
In The LTL world back in the 90's it was. The only way I got my first LTL job was by someone hand walking my app and talking to the TM. I will never forget seeing the pile of apps sitting on his desk when I went in for an interview.
I also have to say after CF closed they flooded the market with out of work drivers. At that time when I worked for AF the TM had 3 to 4 guys a day coming in to fill out apps for a week or two. Every time an LTL company closed in the past drivers flooded the market. I know it happened every time one closed around me. Like APA, Carolina, Preston, and Red Star to name a few.
So at one time it was like that now the shoes on the other foot.
It's more like Trucking companies are a dime a dozen.
When you have more drivers then LTL jobs pay is depressed. Now we have more LTL jobs then driver. Yes we are still under paid.

There is no hope for me. That left 30yrs ago when no one smashed me on the head when I said I wanted to be a truck driver.
I still like what I do I just don’t like what the Industry has become. It was predictable all along and I saw that coming for a while. I always hoped at some point in time people would take a stand one way or another . I guess the younger people have done that. Hence the driver shortage.

Numerous times . Not as readily as the past because we are short handed and the driver shortage . It probably varies from terminal to terminal based on how your local managers handle it . They have some discretion at the local level . I have seen it come from corporate based on events and also from the local end.
One thing I haves learned over the years here is how much difference there is from terminal to terminal. I have come to understand that some guys are dumbfounded by what happens at other terminals. Like I have always said the range spans from country club like terminals to complete hell holes . I think that is a big factor why some can’t understand why some terminals voted for unionization and others felt no need . Live and learn.

I've never seen it, especially when a doctors note can be produced.

I have seen drivers disciplined for calling off too much, especially Fridays. But never fired.

I guess you're right, it may vary from location to location.

I've never seen it, especially when a doctors note can be produced.

I have seen drivers disciplined for calling off too much, especially Fridays. But never fired.

I guess you're right, it may vary from location to location.
The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago addressed that. They quoted in a decision that taking off every Friday or Monday showed a pattern. A doctors excuse is like a gold bar, very effective & hard to challenge by the company. If you have a medical procedure with a excuse every Friday, that works But, be sure to not play a round of golf on the course management is playing on @ the same time you are. Hard to make par if you really are sick. von.

There's an old adage that might upset some but when you think about it's true. "A job is only worth what another person will accept for doing it."

PS - Don't shoot the messenger. :smile new:
While there is a bit of truth to that I can't agree with you.....for years trucking companies have imported people from all over to avoid paying "what another person will accept" ...I like that all these companies are having problems now....treat people like garbage and this is what you get...

While there is a bit of truth to that I can't agree with you.....for years trucking companies have imported people from all over to avoid paying "what another person will accept" ...I like that all these companies are having problems now....treat people like garbage and this is what you get...
The race to the bottom and now the panic that they can’t find drivers ...

Our place is offering sign on bonus and $35/hr and we still can’t hire. Still losing drivers to the competition that pay less. Our reputation is that bad. Far from the CCX days.

Our place is offering sign on bonus and $35/hr and we still can’t hire. Still losing drivers to the competition that pay less. Our reputation is that bad. Far from the CCX days.
It’s a disaster, a slow train wreck. This is what happens when you have someone at the top that does not respect labor and its value. Share price before everything else.

Now that is bad.

The Company is toxic. Thats the problem. I bet you can offer a million cash and you wont find drivers willing to stick their heads in such a oven within the company.

We go through a :shit:ton of truckers at a whim but damn we never go through a dispatcher.

St Peter tells truckers who passed on constantly showing up seeing large cars parked all over Heaven going no where.

Why?

No dispatchers died yet.