Central Transport | The Future

I agree...I may get out of the business myself...got alot of soul searching to do...i have many options...I just need to decide what serves me best

cripes brother....you are not going anywhere but on your same route again tomorrow...as usual....jeez...don't make me wait out in front of my job for you to drive by and come kick your azz. you know I will.

Its getting to where i cant even shoot my mouth off without you calling me out....Just because your 6'4" and about 260 ....Dont think im scared...I know where you live and i will tell your old lady some dirty little secrets that will keep you in the dog house for weeks...Check yourself...before you wreck yourself....hehehehehahahaha...LOL

hey vijax racer, I love how you said " I have since left the trucking industry all together and so far life is good"???? then why are you putting your " 2bits" in on this thread? you must either be a very bored no friend having loser, or you hate the fact that when you scroll down your contact list you have ZERO friends to reach out to , so you jump on this site and let everyone know that your life is good. Do me a favor and go get a life, if this is what you call " a good life" telling us drivers here at Vitran to stop "sitting at coffee places" and to " care about how the freight looks" then if I were you with this so called "enjoyable" life, I would find the nearest busy intersection and roll out my car doing 50mph. HAVE A GREAT DAY VIJIZZ. ohh by the way, you got some nerve telling me where I can and cant go, and how do you know if I care or dont care about how the freight looks like? get a life dude

You always have some that love to rub salt in the wounds...Gives them some sick, twisted way of feeling better about themselves.. He claims to still have friends here...Well with friends like that....i just a soon go it alone...Thank you very much...us bottom feeders can do just fine without the negative feedback from outsiders. Call us cry babies and whiners..at least we have some measure of loyality with our co-workers...God knows management wont listen to us...And the wheels keep turning round and round

You can please some of the people all of the time...You can please all of the people some of the time...But you cant please all of the people all of the time..President Lincoln.....Say what you mean...And mean what you say...President Reagan....Dont concern yourself..Train

I had a feeling when I saw your missed call to me today it had something to do with this virtan forum.....southside......I hate to say it but you have an issue....blood boiling? what's that mean? you have made alot of posts on various threads within the vitran forum.....I wouldn't get too personal in here.....it's easy to hide behind a screen name or id but remember.....somebody knows you.....no excuse for being....well let me not say anymore on that post.....my buddy also needs to find another outlet......maybe play online hearts or solitaire or something constuctive like riding your bike......there is really nothing constructive going on in here.....at all....just alot of unhappy employees WHO STILL WORK FOR VITRAN EVEN THOUGH THEY HATE THE JOB.......find another job if you all are that unhappy.....cripes.

Slugger you know i dont hate this job...If i truly hated it i would quit...as you always say...it does ok with what it brings to the table..I do get frustrated, but you are right its not really constructive...I think you know why i have stayed on this site so long..but it has about run its course...I think i will take a spin on the bike..$$ is making a change, but as in any job change he has concerns ..I will go private on that with him...I will not delete this acct...because i sometimes just like to look without posting a comment..Like you...But SB you of all people should know its not always black and white when making a job change...I think time will help people see what best for them on a personal side..And remember bug man...Happiness is an inside job...and make no mistake it is a job...Learning to keep your mind in check is a 24-7 job..Just because you may be frustrated with your job does not mean you are a unhappy person...It only means that your job sucks at this moment in time and you just need to vent..Nothing is perfect..And in time things will be as they are meant to be...Like it or not...We are all being led by the man up stairs

There are a lot of posts on here about the future of Vitran U.S. and who to blame for the companies short comings. Very little is posted about the one constant that has been in control of the company since it came to the U.S. with the purchase of Overland. U.S. LTL Presidents, Reid, Kimack, Kosoveck have come and gone. And, now Mr. Keylon has the reigns.

The fact is Mr. Gaetz has run this company into the ground. In other words, during the companies profitable days, when the stock price was high, with the company achieving record profit levels, very little, if any was reinvested back into the company. How many long time Vitran drivers remember the days when the maintenance shops could not spend any money after the middle of the month because they exceeded the "local" shop budget? Maintenance is just one example. Again, Gaetz invested very little back into Vitran - U.S. LTL. Facilities were allowed to fall apart, equipment was not properly maintained, and nothing was invested into technology. Why is it in 2012 Vitran is just getting hand held devices for the P&D drivers? Almost every other carrier has had this technology since at least 2000 to 2005. Most carriers also have a scanning system on their docks and have had it in place for at least 10 years.

The lack of re-investment into the "organization" during the profitable years is why Vitran is in a fight for it's existence in the U.S ltl market today. Mr. Keylon, can not just focus on turning the company around because he also has to fix a foundation that is falling a part because of a decade and a half of neglect. And he has to figure out how to fix this broken foundation on a very limited budget.

Gaetz never had a "vision" for the future, other than the next quarterly press release, which is why Vitran is where it is today.

Wow, if you are a driver, you are a very informed driver. Vitran is in a heap of trouble and that is why I left just recently. If their 4th quarter is like their third quarter ( it will be even worse) they will run out of coin before mid year. I gave it my best and put in many many years. Good luck all, the grass is greaner on the other side. Now the Fedex goons are going to cause a mass exodus of what talent remains.

There are a lot of posts on here about the future of Vitran U.S. and who to blame for the companies short comings. Very little is posted about the one constant that has been in control of the company since it came to the U.S. with the purchase of Overland. U.S. LTL Presidents, Reid, Kimack, Kosoveck have come and gone. And, now Mr. Keylon has the reigns.

The fact is Mr. Gaetz has run this company into the ground. In other words, during the companies profitable days, when the stock price was high, with the company achieving record profit levels, very little, if any was reinvested back into the company. How many long time Vitran drivers remember the days when the maintenance shops could not spend any money after the middle of the month because they exceeded the "local" shop budget? Maintenance is just one example. Again, Gaetz invested very little back into Vitran - U.S. LTL. Facilities were allowed to fall apart, equipment was not properly maintained, and nothing was invested into technology. Why is it in 2012 Vitran is just getting hand held devices for the P&D drivers? Almost every other carrier has had this technology since at least 2000 to 2005. Most carriers also have a scanning system on their docks and have had it in place for at least 10 years.

The lack of re-investment into the "organization" during the profitable years is why Vitran is in a fight for it's existence in the U.S ltl market today. Mr. Keylon, can not just focus on turning the company around because he also has to fix a foundation that is falling a part because of a decade and a half of neglect. And he has to figure out how to fix this broken foundation on a very limited budget.

Gaetz never had a "vision" for the future, other than the next quarterly press release, which is why Vitran is where it is today.
My friend " ltl is great " still has the best post that has ever been put on here. LTL is great.....This post says it all about Vitran.....We all have touched on this......Chris Keylon has his job cut out for him.....Gaetz destroyed this company....Good riddance you worthless piece of Sh**.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend " ltl is great " still has the best post that has ever been put on here. LTL is great.....This post says it all about Vitran.....We all have touched on this......Chris Keylon has his job cut out for him.....Gaetz destroyed this company....Good riddance you worthless piece of Sh**.
Talking to myself again.....Could I be Bi-Polar??? ...Years and Years and Years and Years and Years..and Years of neglect.....Total neglect

The fact is that Gaetz lack of vision, has destroyed this companies ability to compete in todays LTL market place. We were built on a foundation of sand. And now it appears without the resources we are destined to fail. And Chris Keylon will be made the scapegoat...Corporate Greed has almost certainly destroyed our future.

Keylon a scapegoat runaway? Scapegoat--one that bears blame for others, object of irrational hostility. Keylon did inherit a mess, he has only made it worse ten fold from when he started one and a half years ago. Keylon has been on a "financial bender", a "drunken sailor on shore leave" spending money he does not have. Gaetz made a huge mistake hiring Keylon and selling of Logistics and he paid the price for that decision. These were the final acts of stupidity that cost him dearly. Up until the last few years, exactly 3 summers ago, Gaetz was a hands off CEO. He let the U.S. Presidents run the company and had little involvement. Three summers ago some upper level folks ( no longer here except for one) reached out to Gaetz over frustration with the then president MK. Gaetz then got involved and stayed involved until his departure. Gaetz is ultimately the one that has to be blamed but we need to understand that money was always tight with this company. Overland Transportation was never very successful in the marketplace. The OR was always in the high nineties which meant there was never much money to re-invest in the company. Overland was a marginal player, a marginal service carrier, a third tier player that had to provide the marketplace with cheap rates to buy the business. While Holland and others could charge premium pricing and operate in the high 80's or low 90's, Overland and later Vitran Express could only get by with OR's of 98.5 or higher. Gaetz's vision after the Overland purchase was to make Vitran a superregional along the lines of Estes or R&L. He bought a hodge podge of little players like Chris, Sierra West ( which we just shut down) and Milan Express. All three of those purchases were a complete and utter joke/failure. Sorry runaway, I know you come from Chris but we are a non player in Texas. We have only 3 terminals and no longer offer 100% pricing for our customers. The purchase of PJAX was the only one that made sense except for the fact that they paid three times what it was worth at 132 million dollars and 13 million in Vitran stock for the Hamel's who sold PJAX. Gaetz never understood the US marketplace, Canada is still regulated , it allows for laziness and bloat. Companies that do well in Canada come to the US and find they cannot compete, they don't have the tenacity or drive to make it in our vicious and competitive market. Bottom line is , Vitran has never made enough money to properly nuture and grow the company. The money they did have was poorly invested purchasing rag tag truck lines rather than filling pot holes, dock doors or investing in technology. Growth should have come organically through slowly growing revenues and expanding one state at a time. Good service carriers like Dayton Freight have done just that over the past 30 years. Service the customer well, get paid well which allows for strong profit margins and then reinvest rather than running out and buying broken down problematic trucking companies. Gaetz never wanted to roll up his sleeves work hard grind it out. He wanted a quick fix to expansion and it has backfired. Now Keylon is at the helm and it has gotten way worse than it ever was. 2nd Q is coming, get ready for a massive loss, probably another 15 million as bill count continues to tank. A spin off is coming boys, Canada is going to divorce themselves from us and it will not be a good ending.

I agree with most everthing except Keylon...I think he is totally dismantling this company to rebuild it by starting over from scratch...Integrating technology, elimination the west, combining certain regions and adding a few terminals in certain areas, maybe even Texas. Vitran has enough money to weather this storm through 2014. It has been a long process that continues. Chris Keylon studied under the best in this industry and knows how to rebuild a truck line. I believe the new man that's now in charge from Conway will help us turn the corner in 2014. I know we differ in our overall philosophy on Keylon. I have been in this industry over 40 years and understand the complex nature of rebuilding a truck line. We are not unlike OD in a lot of respects just 10 years ago. Keylon sliced the U.S. in half.......We now have a good foot print. If we open up Texas a little more we have a good shot of improving the D-FW area and Houston area. These areas have massive untapped potential. The economy is booming here like no place else in the U.S.....Cities like Austin, Lubbock. Tyler, Laredo, El Paso, must be addressed....They need to decide what they want to do about Louisiana....Tough decisions remain. I have not given up on Keylon just yet. You have, and I respect your opinion. I don't see a spin off. But as you have always heard me say.......I have been wrong before.

Lincoln's road to the White House...Failed in business in 1831..Defeated in Legislature in 1832..Second failure in business in 1833..Suffers nervous breakdown in 1836..Defeated for Speaker in 1838..Defeated for Elector in 1840..Defeated for Congress in 1843.. Defeated for Congress in 1848..Defeated for Senate in 1855.. Defeated for Vice President in 1856..Defeated for Senate in 1858...ELECTED PRESIDENT IN 1860....The secret of success is consistency of purpose...Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure...Even a woodpecker owes his success to the fact that he uses his head and keeps pecking away until he finishes the job he starts.

Lincoln's road to the White House...Failed in business in 1831..Defeated in Legislature in 1832..Second failure in business in 1833..Suffers nervous breakdown in 1836..Defeated for Speaker in 1838..Defeated for Elector in 1840..Defeated for Congress in 1843.. Defeated for Congress in 1848..Defeated for Senate in 1855.. Defeated for Vice President in 1856..Defeated for Senate in 1858...ELECTED PRESIDENT IN 1860....The secret of success is consistency of purpose...Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure...Even a woodpecker owes his success to the fact that he uses his head and keeps pecking away until he finishes the job he starts.

Getting awfully philosophical, you ain't hitting the maple this early in the day are you?

I agree with most everthing except Keylon...I think he is totally dismantling this company to rebuild it by starting over from scratch...Integrating technology, elimination the west, combining certain regions and adding a few terminals in certain areas, maybe even Texas. Vitran has enough money to weather this storm through 2014. It has been a long process that continues. Chris Keylon studied under the best in this industry and knows how to rebuild a truck line. I believe the new man that's now in charge from Conway will help us turn the corner in 2014. I know we differ in our overall philosophy on Keylon. I have been in this industry over 40 years and understand the complex nature of rebuilding a truck line. We are not unlike OD in a lot of respects just 10 years ago. Keylon sliced the U.S. in half.......We now have a good foot print. If we open up Texas a little more we have a good shot of improving the D-FW area and Houston area. These areas have massive untapped potential. The economy is booming here like no place else in the U.S.....Cities like Austin, Lubbock. Tyler, Laredo, El Paso, must be addressed....They need to decide what they want to do about Louisiana....Tough decisions remain. I have not given up on Keylon just yet. You have, and I respect your opinion. I don't see a spin off. But as you have always heard me say.......I have been wrong before.

McClimon was brought in because the board has no faith in Keylon. Look hard at the numbers runaway, they do not lie. Keylon has been an unmitigated disaster in all aspects, from finance to the way people have been treated. Keylon goes with shock and awe, he is firing people that will not kiss his papal ring. If you were not born at FedEx, you will be fired. Keylon is a one dimensional wonder, he has never done anything but work at FedEx and play college football. He has brought over 70 folks from FedEx and at least 10% of them have quit on him and left. Look at his resume, he is not qualified to be where he is and I can tell you that the BOD is running this company, not Keylon. As far as money goes, unless we can stop losing money immediately ( won't happen) there is not enough money to get us through 2014 . Canada is not going to allow the last remaining 35 million to get spent . Figure on having 20 million left after the 2nd Q is reported next month. At the rate of loss, there is not enough cash to get us through the rest of 2013. I will bet you a bottle of crown maple Canada divorces us before the end of 2013!