ODFL | The Green Axe has fallen...

roaddog1

TB Lurker
Credits
Yesterday, Greensboro let 4 local drivers go. Also, some from upstairs. Moving others around. Very scary.....Things are slow, but why at Christmas? What's next? Has this ever happened before?

never

Yesterday, Greensboro let 4 local drivers go. Also, some from upstairs. Moving others around. Very scary.....Things are slow, but why at Christmas? What's next? Has this ever happened before?

Nope,this is the first time.Some cut loose in JCY too.

roaddog1 said:
Were they layed off or fired?

They say they were laid off, but other sources say it's a done deal. One driver asked if he came back would it be at the same pay, and they told him he would be back at one year rate. His reply: Why would I want to come back for that?

Been local

They say they were laid off, but other sources say it's a done deal. One driver asked if he came back would it be at the same pay, and they told him he would be back at one year rate. His reply: Why would I want to come back for that?

I don't think any of them had been local for a year.You have to understand,the laid off drivers are *i**e* right now and things are going to be said in anger.

Just curious about something. When OD lays off do they go by seniority? (the most junior man first)

:holysheep:
Just got home and count in GBO is 10 gone
in GBO city and 2 on dock And office personal
cut to 35 hours a week
It is a SAD DAY :thumbsdown:

was told today that driver helpers for manhattan were laid off in jcy.also office people.now my question is all these rookies that came out of od driving school,do they stay and someone hired off the street goes? i would think being that much $ was invested in them that if they lay them off before a year that they are scott free and od wouldnt want to **** away there investment.

was told today that driver helpers for manhattan were laid off in jcy.also office people.now my question is all these rookies that came out of od driving school,do they stay and someone hired off the street goes? i would think being that much $ was invested in them that if they lay them off before a year that they are scott free and od wouldnt want to **** away there investment.

I would say that the new guys are linehaul and they'll feed them enough to keep them. They're in the regular rotation with all of the single extra drivers and seniority doesn't get you out ahead of them.

I was in Brklyn the other day and they were talking about cutting labor. I would say many new dock guys are going to have a bad Christmas.

All this from a company that boasts record profits last quarter... They also let all the part time dock workers go in GBO. 30 was the last count I heard. The more costs are cut, the bigger bonuses for managment. SOMEONE"S gonna have a great X-mas. Just not the backbone of the company. I think they're overlooking that the working man never forgets...:nutkick: I will not enjoy this holiday as much knowing this uncertainty is hanging in the air. Eh Ebeneezer?

You got to admit though, we were doing alot of over-hiring earlier this year. This was a plan used to keep OT down at some terminals where the state requires OD to pay and now that it's slowed down.. those extra hands did their job for the company and wont be needed anymore. It'll happen again next year the bigger we get.

Well I was one of the ones let go.
1st thing..I was told it was terminated due to lack or work. I got between 45-50 hrs last week so much for lack of work. I even told time I would go to 30 hrs a week just to pay the bills but that was not enough.
2nd thing..I think 3 went to dock and the next day when I went in to get my check 2 came by me driving out on P&D trips.
3rd thing..I was also told that 10 would have to go. 3 or so are already out for injury or what ever (one is over seas military resurve) 3 went to dock and 4 were laid off.
I was told that after a point we would be at 1 year rates and after some asking around its a month (from corprate). However my concern is ill be back to ground 0 again starting fresh in seniority...ill still have 2+ years but in P&D ill be new. Also they said they will not be calling me I would have to call them and keep on them.

corporate

Well I was one of the ones let go.
1st thing..I was told it was terminated due to lack or work. I got between 45-50 hrs last week so much for lack of work. I even told time I would go to 30 hrs a week just to pay the bills but that was not enough.
2nd thing..I think 3 went to dock and the next day when I went in to get my check 2 came by me driving out on P&D trips.
3rd thing..I was also told that 10 would have to go. 3 or so are already out for injury or what ever (one is over seas military resurve) 3 went to dock and 4 were laid off.
I was told that after a point we would be at 1 year rates and after some asking around its a month (from corprate). However my concern is ill be back to ground 0 again starting fresh in seniority...ill still have 2+ years but in P&D ill be new. Also they said they will not be calling me I would have to call them and keep on them.

Go to corporate Monday morning,find out whats happening.Get them to tell you what your status is,tell them everything you have been told at the terminal and WHO told you.This is not good and fair treatment,maybe the right man doesn't know what's going on.

Well hart and I might have a new position...well he already does and I might if they can get it lined up.
However I asked my big boss (former) for a letter on company letterhead saying just why I was let go so future employes could see fast and from OD that my leaving was not my fault. I was told it was not company policy to do that but to put him down as a refrence.

the MAN

Well hart and I might have a new position...well he already does and I might if they can get it lined up.
However I asked my big boss (former) for a letter on company letterhead saying just why I was let go so future employes could see fast and from OD that my leaving was not my fault. I was told it was not company policy to do that but to put him down as a refrence.

You going to moan or are you going to do something.Move up the tree son.You're messing around with the B.S.ers at ground level.Like I said the right man probably doesn't know how this is being handled.The company's public image is very important to him.I will say no more.

Follow Jim Bob's advice and seek other good advice. Do your best to gather information and have facts but keep out of the terminal level politics. Always remember the open door policy but go in the door prepared.