ODFL | The No Drama Carrier ?

DayliteDean

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
While making my sixth turn this week(hope you're as busy as we are!)I've been racking my brain to try and come up with a topic that we have'nt already flogged to death.After a lot of (futile)thought It dawned on me that I might work for the carrier with the least controversy hanging over it,no dramatic changes in leadership,no pay or benefit reductions,modern equipment,new facilities,constantly upgraded technologies, continued profitability,and the stock is fetching a pretty good price.All said not a bad place to be,just wanted to take a moment to reflect on how fortunate I think we are here at ODFL,but be assured I'm still burning brain cells trying to come up with something,everyone take care out there! :thumbsup:

New to the Board and Trucking. With 15 years of Warehouse work was hired as a Linehaul Drive in Albany N.Y. School starts 3 Week in June, what should I expect? All Feedback Welcome. Thanks.

First of all WELCOME!!!!to both the forum and ODFL,glad you're joing the team!Are you going to do your classwork at HAR?(Harrisburg PA?we tend to use the terminals alpha codes when refering to terminal locations)first you'll do your class room work with the regional safety manager with a lot of emphasis placed on company proceedures,getting you ready to aquire driving permit,fuel management,defensive driving,etc.Later you'll be paired with a line-haul and a city P/D trainer for the next month,three weeks with the trainer doing the job (line in your case)that you'll be doing,and one week cross training with the other skill(just in case!) then comes certification with safety manager,then they work you in to the rotation,than its off to the races!!

From what ive been told its a Night Run Monday-Friday home every Morning. How long before you Cap on pay and how many hoour do you need to work before Overtime kicks in?

Three years,to top pay rate.Line-haul strictly milage pay(no OT)for city OT after 60 hrs.(I belive)

Top out was moved to 3 years last year if you were hired before they changed the policy then you top out at 2 years. Since you've just been hired your top out will be 3 years but well worth waiting for. If O.D. had done like so many others losttrkdriver you would still be waiting 6 more months to get your top out pay. Another sign of a good company to work for and as usuall pay attention in those meetings so we get the correct info out there. :biglaugh:

[quote author=dmtorl link=topic=79354.msg823604#msg823604 date=1271896490]
I would not call it a dream job but i would say it is what you make it.
[/quote]

Compared to a company such as Fedex Freight where they have turned many of the Line Drivers into Forklift drivers with a CDL......this is a "dream job". Good luck finding a driver over there who will say they love their job anymore.

How about looking at it this way, it could be a hell of alot worse and it can't get much better. Last time i checked i haven't had to give up pay, benefits or vacation time. Dream job consists of lots of money a beach and doing whatever i want.

I've been saying this same thing on the "good ol" CB radio for awhile now. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you could find something to whine about, but why look?

I worked for several OTR companies where I had to sit at a dock all day and wait to be loaded or unloaded just to drive 400 miles at 32 cpm. To say that I am happy that I have this job is an understatement, I am just looking forward to the day that I will be able to get a schedule run and be home everyday. Until then I will be content run my 500-600 miles everyday.

[quote author=BillyLo link=topic=79354.msg823659#msg823659 date=1271902255]
I agree with dmtorl. It's a decent paycheck.
[/quote]

For now ive been hired Part time with is Great Becouse I already have a $22.00 Job working 36 Hours in 3 Days (Sat-Mon). They Started me at Great Pay and I work Wed-Fri. All the Hours I want at Night. Its been a little over 5 weeks now and I couldn't be happier !! In theses tough times not many People can say they have 2 jobs that pay over $20. and hour. O.D. has been great to me. For that im Thankfull !!

Its great that some terminals are being allowed to hire again. Most terminals that i have been to(wild for years) seem like good places to work but it is a very individual experience based on the terminal manager and supervisors. managers have a lot of freedom which makes for an interesting time at some places.
Od is a good to great place to work 95% of the time (much better then most places in or out of trucking) but that last 5% is in no way a no drama job. LOL That is where the management freedom bites us. Even with the 5% this is still the best driving job i have had in almost 20 years of driving.
Now on the "we haven't had to give up anything" just realize that it is after all their losses the the other drivers are down to our level of compensation. This is why we are still making a profit. It always seems we start hearing that from management again just b4 the "sorry (insert item) not going to happen" but be glad (see quote above).

What does OD top out at? just curious because you are right, here at Reddaway we were at 56.7 per mile and now because of YRC we are down to 47.6 PM and $19.80 per hour. Be happy with your company I used to feel that way about Reddaway till YRC (yellow ruins companies) bought us and our city drivers brought in the union. Good luck to all of you it is a nice thing to go to a thread and hear GOOD things about an employer

[quote author=ICE RIDER link=topic=79354.msg838563#msg838563 date=1276894967]
What does OD top out at? just curious because you are right, here at Reddaway we were at 56.7 per mile and now because of YRC we are down to 47.6 PM and $19.80 per hour. Be happy with your company I used to feel that way about Reddaway till YRC (yellow ruins companies) bought us and our city drivers brought in the union. Good luck to all of you it is a nice thing to go to a thread and hear GOOD things about an employer
[/quote]50cpm/22.95 hourly

Thanks, that is great pay even better because of the job security do you pay a lot for health insurance for a family?