SAIA | The Noose Tightens... Saia continues to lead via threats rather than incentives.

Bogie

TB Lurker
Credits
It's a shame Saia doesn't seem to have much knowledge in "People Management". You can achieve better behavior results thru incentives rather than threats & force.
Rp7ucUr.jpg

With 1 second it’s obvious that the driver is intentionally tailgating because he was cut off. I see OTR carriers do it all the time. They run right up on their ass trying to scare them. They deserve to be terminated for aggressive driving. There is no excuse for it. If I was there boss I would give them one warning and that’s it. The next time your gone. 1 second ??? Come on, just think about that.

I think you're missing my main point. Saia management has used nothing but disciplinary action as a means to enforce their desired driving behavior. They have chosen to use nothing but negative reinforcement. They have offered not a single positive enticement or incentive to encourage their desired driving behavior (no reward, only risk). And this approach to changing driver behavior is why there is a huge negative reaction from those effected. How long does it take for a driver to change driving behavior to the point it becomes ingrained and natural? 3 months? Imagine if Saia offered a $100 bonus per week to every driver that got no violation vids and that bonus period lasted for 3 months. Rather than feeling forced to change behavior over the threat of employment (a negative reinforcement), most drivers would be encouraged to willingly change behavior to receive the incentive (a positive reinforcement). The former method leads to anger and loss of motivation, the latter method leads to willing adoption of change. This is a basic principle of People Management, but I don't think anyone in management knows anything about effective people management.

I think you're missing my main point. Saia management has used nothing but disciplinary action as a means to enforce their desired driving behavior. They have chosen to use nothing but negative reinforcement. They have offered not a single positive enticement or incentive to encourage their desired driving behavior (no reward, only risk). And this approach to changing driver behavior is why there is a huge negative reaction from those effected. How long does it take for a driver to change driving behavior to the point it becomes ingrained and natural? 3 months? Imagine if Saia offered a $100 bonus per week to every driver that got no violation vids and that bonus period lasted for 3 months. Rather than feeling forced to change behavior over the threat of employment (a negative reinforcement), most drivers would be encouraged to willingly change behavior to receive the incentive (a positive reinforcement). The former method leads to anger and loss of motivation, the latter method leads to willing adoption of change. This is a basic principle of People Management, but I don't think anyone in management knows anything about effective people management.
You miss my point. 1 second or less???? That’s unacceptable period. 3 or 4 is understandable but not 1. That is aggressive driving deliberately trying to intimidate. Common sense dictates you don’t drive that aggressive. That type of driving behavior should get you terminated.

Last edited:
Can you picture going down the highway at 65 with a 1 second or less following distance. If you have to be taught that is a bad driving behavior then you shouldn’t even have a CDL.

Can you picture going down the highway at 65 with a 1 second or less following distance. If you have to be taught that is a bad driving behavior then you shouldn’t even have a CDL.
I understand what you are saying and do not approve of this kind of driving .... but have you already forgot about YOUR STOP SIGN incident?

I understand what you are saying and do not approve .... but have you already forgot about YOUR STOP SIGN incident?
I have not forgot. The only thing I can do is learn and move forward. My main bitch was that I wasn’t warned and just got suspended. That’s not the case here. You are now getting warned. Things are getting better. There is no conceivable reason I can think of for a 1 second or less following distance except pure stupidity.

Since this seems to be an issue I take it you guys don’t have the adaptive cruise control and on guard system in your trucks. If you did, the truck wouldn’t let you get that close. The truck would be slamming the brakes on for you.

Honestly, I think they should flat out fire you for that close of following distance.

It's a shame Saia doesn't seem to have much knowledge in "People Management". You can achieve better behavior results thru incentives rather than threats & force.
Rp7ucUr.jpg
I will have to say this is actually the first time i have seen anything in writing as far as a specific policy on the cameras go.

So what are they suppose to do...if your running that close to somebodys bumper...give ya a high five and say good job
You guys keep missing the whole point of my post. It's not about this or any specific violation, but rather the whole approach Saia has used to implement this camera program. Their whole approach has been based on negative reinforcement, (ie. comply or there will be negative consequences) without any positive reinforcement linked directly to compliance to balance (ie. if you comply you will be rewarded). The result is far less effective implementation and severe morale issues. If you can't grasp that concept then just never mind.

You guys keep missing the whole point of my post. It's not about this or any specific violation, but rather the whole approach Saia has used to implement this camera program. Their whole approach has been based on negative reinforcement, (ie. comply or there will be negative consequences) without any positive reinforcement linked directly to compliance to balance (ie. if you comply you will be rewarded). The result is far less effective implementation and severe morale issues. If you can't grasp that concept then just never mind.
I do see what u are saying, they only pointing out negative stuff the camera catch, the police only pull u over when u break the rule they dont pull u over and say u was doing the speed limit good job.