SAIA | The Noose Tightens... Saia continues to lead via threats rather than incentives.

Change employers. problem solved.
Ask yourself this. If you knew SAIA treated their drivers like they do today when you interviewed with them, would you be working there? Like I said, the grass has got to be greener on the other side. Find a better employer.von.
I’m months away from retirement. That would be stupid for me. I don’t look back these days. I can’t really say what I would have done. I will say that SAIA has treated me well in the overall big picture. I have no regrets.

I’m months away from retirement. That would be stupid for me. I don’t look back these days. I can’t really say what I would have done. I will say that SAIA has treated me well in the overall big picture. I have no regrets.

Train, after talking with BillyLo, he said if you don't blow anymore stop signs, he will put you to work mowing grass after retirement.
Ump said he has no openings for a goat herder at this time, but just stay in touch.

Von, every one can't work for Coop Dispatch, consider yourself lucky, you know how picky Dave can be!
I am very lucky. In the fall of 1998 I wanted a Union truck driving job. I was working @ the time & I went shopping. CF & ABF called first. The ABF TM promised me a 30 day probation letter the day I went to work. 18 years vested ALL with ABF. I went out on a medical (not job related). No disability retirement, just a regular retirement thru Central States. I get 2040.00 per month for 18 years vested. I am very lucky & blessed for being in the right place, right time, with a good work & safety record. I know my Pension will be cut some. But I still can't think of any other outfit union or non union that would pay that kind of money after 18 years. I did see an opportunity back in 1998 & made the most of it. But I do wish the best to anyone in this industry or entering it. It is not easy. It takes a toll on you health after many years. But, if you like to drive & want to see the country (which I did @ 21) this is the job for you. If you have a family with kids & just starting in the work force or changing careers, flee this business. Too many nights away, too many divorces. Be safe. von

Train, after talking with BillyLo, he said if you don't blow anymore stop signs, he will put you to work mowing grass after retirement.
Ump said he has no openings for a goat herder at this time, but just stay in touch.
I would love to hire Train for the Gray Hotel. Yep, three on a team, 8 hours each...that's all I can expect.

I would love to hire Train for the Gray Hotel. Yep, three on a team, 8 hours each...that's all I can expect.

Ain't ridin with people that blows stop signs and can't talk on the CB, no eating, drinking no cell and besides 3 splitting a 75mi. turn I won't be getting enough recliner time.

I am very lucky. In the fall of 1998 I wanted a Union truck driving job. I was working @ the time & I went shopping. CF & ABF called first. The ABF TM promised me a 30 day probation letter the day I went to work. 18 years vested ALL with ABF. I went out on a medical (not job related). No disability retirement, just a regular retirement thru Central States. I get 2040.00 per month for 18 years vested. I am very lucky & blessed for being in the right place, right time, with a good work & safety record. I know my Pension will be cut some. But I still can't think of any other outfit union or non union that would pay that kind of money after 18 years. I did see an opportunity back in 1998 & made the most of it. But I do wish the best to anyone in this industry or entering it. It is not easy. It takes a toll on you health after many years. But, if you like to drive & want to see the country (which I did @ 21) this is the job for you. If you have a family with kids & just starting in the work force or changing careers, flee this business. Too many nights away, too many divorces. Be safe. von

I was also lucky, been drawing from CS since 1990, it was rare at RTL and PIE, we were gone more than 24hrs.
When I ran the Carolina Board (turns only) home every 10hrs or less.
I tried to be good to my kids and grandkids, so if they cut my check maybe they'll take care of me.
My job with Coop don't hurt either, As you know (big bucks)

I was also lucky, been drawing from CS since 1990, it was rare at RTL and PIE, we were gone more than 24hrs.
When I ran the Carolina Board (turns only) home every 10hrs or less.
I tried to be good to my kids and grandkids, so if they cut my check maybe they'll take care of me.
My job with Coop don't hurt either, As you know (big bucks)
He has passed away, but we used to have a day shift driver that was an ABF employee when the Carolina boys dove tailed in. He lost a few choice bids because of seniority. His way of getting even was to take all the Carolina boys time cards put them in the other rack & turn them facing inward. Ironic he was fired from ABF due to his drinking problem. He drove on a suspended CDL license for 4 months before ABF found out. If he had owned up to it right away, they would have worked him on the dock until the license was resolved. But, not to be. He had a mouth but he was an ok kind of guy. von.

Maybe Buck you can ask the manager that you would like to be the driver advocate fot your terminal.Not kidding,the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

I am no longer employed with Saia. But I spent enough time there and have since gained a fresh perspective now that I have my own outfit. And the suggestion for "driver advocate"...will never happen at Saia, IMO. If you have the title of "TM" at Saia, the last thing you want is to hear about drivers. I know...it makes no sense, but that is the culture that they have cultivated and maintain. I have sat and listened to these managers praise drivers during National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, only to continue those meetings with a tirade about stops per hour, productivity, blah blah blah. Frankly, I got tired of sipping the company kool-aid and moved onto bigger and better things. LTL is a people business, and if you treat your customers, the general public, and employees with respect, you will be paid back in spades. That is the biggest obstacle that Saia has, is that it has not established an equal, fair, and healthy work environment for all.

I am no longer employed with Saia. But I spent enough time there and have since gained a fresh perspective now that I have my own outfit. And the suggestion for "driver advocate"...will never happen at Saia, IMO. If you have the title of "TM" at Saia, the last thing you want is to hear about drivers. I know...it makes no sense, but that is the culture that they have cultivated and maintain. I have sat and listened to these managers praise drivers during National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, only to continue those meetings with a tirade about stops per hour, productivity, blah blah blah. Frankly, I got tired of sipping the company kool-aid and moved onto bigger and better things. LTL is a people business, and if you treat your customers, the general public, and employees with respect, you will be paid back in spades. That is the biggest obstacle that Saia has, is that it has not established an equal, fair, and healthy work environment for all.
That's why we have Labor Unions.:bowdown::clap:

That's why we have Labor Unions.:bowdown::clap:
Tell that to the guys that took a 15% pay cut and got screwed on their pensions. Tell them about how stewards play favorites and sacrifice some while fighting for others. Labor unions do have a purpose but the Teamsters shouldn’t even fall into that category. They have turned into something that “Senior” would be ashamed of. A bunch of corrupt gutless individuals that have forgotten what it means to take a stand. When they presented that last contract they sold the brotherhood out. They bought the companies BS and the members bought it when they signed it. The Teamsters are worthless in 2018 and have been worthless for a very long time. Let’s see what 2019 brings. My guess would be more of the same.

Last edited:
Tell that to the guys that took a 15% pay cut and got screwed on their pensions. Tell them about how stewards play favorites and sacrifice some while fighting for others. Labor unions do have a purpose but the Teamsters shouldn’t even fall into that category. They have turned into something that “Senior” would be ashamed of. A bunch of corrupt gutless individuals that have forgotten what it means to take a stand. When they presented that last contract they sold the brotherhood out. They bought the companies BS and the members bought it when they signed it. The Teamsters are worthless in 2018 and have been worthless for a very long time. Let’s see what 2019 brings. My guess would be more of the same.
Let us not forget,You were a stupavisor,weren't you.I guess it's not green grass and high times forever on the other side of the fence.For you at least.

I just can't understand why some people can not work under a structured environment.Obey the rules and follow accordingly.Especially stop signs.really.

Let us not forget,You were a stupavisor,weren't you.I guess it's not green grass and high times forever on the other side of the fence.For you at least.
I was a dispatcher and I don’t consider that management. I was just another number.