The OHFL Propaganda Machine Is Cranking Away

Shifterknob

The Last Wordslinger
Credits
Ah, I hear Ed and Dave are wandering around the system telling us how they really, really appreciate us employees, but the bottom line of the company is being hurt because we are overpaid and our bennies are too expensive.

Let's ignore all of the money that is flushed down the drain daily because of poor management decisions, but we can't deal with that, can we? No, that would require actually making some real hard, smart decisions, instead of supplying Band-Aid solutions and ignoring the real underlying issues and problems.

Dave had a meeting with us in Portland the other morning, and proceeded to tell us that because we are having a harder time attracting younger people into the fold, so to speak, we need to consider creative ways of reaching out to them. He suggest we look at an option where those that want more in wages can get the money up front, and those who want the bennies would receive less in wages but have benefits.

Wow. How's that for generosity, huh?

Two little issues here. One is... why is the employer engaging in direct bargaining with it's employees in violation of federal labor law, and why do they not understand that our pension and health and welfare trusts simply don't work like an ala carte buffet line?

Or perhaps they do understand all of this, and simply feel they are above the law, and trying to play divide and conquer with their employees, trying to pit the younger guys who want the money up front against the older guys who understand just how valuable that fully-paid H&W and pension is.

At any rate, they are not getting a very receptive audience, and if they keep crossing certain lines, they may be facing NLRB charges, because we as employees are not going to brook with them trying to sideskirt the union.

Not going to happen...:chairshot:

I know I was speechless during the meeting.
Their just trying to see who will buy into their usual diatribe.They are definitly not hurting finacially,It's their poor management from the ground up.You can only pass out so many clipboards and radios to kids who don't know the difference between Con-way and a Con-gear.But they'll keep complaing about it for sure.I wonder if the same is happening at the non-union terminals? Sounds like their gonna have to get a paycut this time around.I had to call the trust the other day for some info to update and started talking to the gal about the costs and etc.There has'nt been an increase at all! So why would the company try to pull out of something that was'nt broken? I feel it's just their plain hatred for organized labor,Henry sure never acted that way.I'm definitely concerned about the future.

Hey Shifter,
What happened to Chris the other line steward? I heard he left? My schedule
is opposite of his so I never see him.That's too bad, he's a good guy.

Oh, well... they're gonna try and get away with whatever they can, but I think they are going to run into a great deal of opposition with their silly schemes.

I would much rather see them put their time and energy into actually running this company properly, because the amount of money which is flushed down the toilet around this company on a daily basis would more than amply put our numbers into the stratosphere were it going to our bottom line instead.

I mean, if you can actually trust the numbers they put out are accurate, since the last time I looked there is no legal requirement to post factual numbers for privately-held corporations, especially to the employees.

No Securities and Exchange Commission looking over their shoulders, in other words. We know a great deal of money goes from one pocket into the other around this company, anyhow. Vehicle leasing, terminal and other property leasing... it's all a shell game where the pieces are all under family control. Anytime the numbers start looking too good, they just go buy a bunch of trailers full of tires, or some new equipment, or whatever they can to skew the numbers back lower. Heaven forbid they should have to pay us that profit-sharing, huh? LOL!

Are we employees deeply cynical?

Bet your butt we are...:butt kiss:

Our steward Chris is resigning because of the direction this company is heading, plain and simple. Nor is he alone. Boise has lost several good long-term employees, Auburn, Eugene... there are many employees looking elsewhere because many have lost confidance in our leadership and our direction. It is sad. Chris did a great job as steward, and he will be missed, but we all wish him much luck at his new job, and I'm sure it was the right choice for him.

I just hope management wakes up and smells the proverbial coffee soon, before it's too late...

He suggest we look at an option where those that want more in wages can get the money up front, and those who want the bennies would receive less in wages but have benefits.
So nice of them to look out for their younger employees like that, what a compassionate and caring thing to do. "These evil Teamsters don't want you to have your money... But we do, just sign here"...:deal:

Sad thing is when I was 18 and starting at OHFL I would have loved to get my pension in cash and take a buyout instead of health and dental. I would have told myself that I would save it, invest it; use it to pay for school ECT. But in reality I probably would have spent it on cars and in the clubs:beerchug: trying to pick up hotties.

Then one day I would have a ten years in and I would start thinking about when and if I ever could retire:boat: at which point my mind would race back to this day and realize what a dirty betrayal the owners of this company had dealt me . They know it, and we know it.

They would love you to think they are just some good ol' chuch goin' country bumpkin' family run freight business:redneck: . Reality is far different, they are well educated, shrewd businessmen, and their bottom line is their house of worship.

Ah, I hear Ed and Dave are wandering around the system telling us how they really, really appreciate us employees, but the bottom line of the company is being hurt because we are overpaid and our bennies are too expensive.

Let's ignore all of the money that is flushed down the drain daily because of poor management decisions, but we can't deal with that, can we? No, that would require actually making some real hard, smart decisions, instead of supplying Band-Aid solutions and ignoring the real underlying issues and problems.

Dave had a meeting with us in Portland the other morning, and proceeded to tell us that because we are having a harder time attracting younger people into the fold, so to speak, we need to consider creative ways of reaching out to them. He suggest we look at an option where those that want more in wages can get the money up front, and those who want the bennies would receive less in wages but have benefits.

Two little issues here. One is... why is the employer engaging in direct bargaining with it's employees in violation of federal labor law, and why do they not understand that our pension and health and welfare trusts simply don't work like an ala carte buffet line?

Or perhaps they do understand all of this, and simply feel they are above the law, and trying to play divide and conquer with their employees, trying to pit the younger guys who want the money up front against the older guys who understand just how valuable that fully-paid H&W and pension is.

At any rate, they are not getting a very receptive audience, and if they keep crossing certain lines, they may be facing NLRB charges, because we as employees are not going to brook with them trying to sideskirt the union.

YOu nevefr what tomorrow will bring...lets just try to get a long guys:chairshot:

Ummm... we're not the ones who fired the first shots across the bow here. They are the ones trying to negotiate directly with their employees in violation of federal labor law, they are the ones who are whining about how they got screwed on the last contract, and they are the ones who have failed to set negotiating dates with the union.

Why don't you send an e-mail to that great communications tool they provide at [email protected] and tell them to try and get along?:biglaugh:

Ummm... we're not the ones who fired the first shots across the bow here. They are the ones trying to negotiate directly with their employees in violation of federal labor law, they are the ones who are whining about how they got screwed on the last contract, and they are the ones who have failed to set negotiating dates with the union.

Why don't you send an e-mail to that great communications tool they provide at [email protected] and tell them to try and get along?:biglaugh:

You could do that yourself. I heard Ed our boss has a million dollar home on some golf course and a million dollar Yacht...belongs to a pvt yacht club...belongs to a golf and pvt country club. heard it around the terminal.

You could do that yourself. I heard Ed our boss has a million dollar home on some golf course and a million dollar Yacht...belongs to a pvt yacht club...belongs to a golf and pvt country club. heard it around the terminal.

Are you really surprised...? They have made so much money its not even funny. since they are a privately held company the actual dollar amounts are not available. But thats what we keep talking about they come to the table with this "poor us" attitude asking for givebacks and compromises when all we really should be talking about is cost of living wage increases and pension increases.

Are you really surprised...? They have made so much money its not even funny. since they are a privately held company the actual dollar amounts are not available. But thats what we keep talking about they come to the table with this "poor us" attitude asking for givebacks and compromises when all we really should be talking about is cost of living wage increases and pension increases.
How true,You forgot how much they gave to the church and their local Republican National Comittee task force:toxic: I'm all for Capitalism but when it
affects the working class I get my fur up.

Shifterknob,

Have you every utilized the communications tool you refer to [email protected] ? And if so, what kind of a response did you get?

Fair&Balanced

I can answer that one for you as every Oak driver says the same thing. Management says you don't see the big picture!!! Or standard answer number two is (We need to cut cost so we cant give employees under a union contract stability or benefits ,even though they pay full M.OB for non -union employees ,equal or higher wages and contribute a higher dollar amount to there retirement plan!!) All the while telling the union employees were going broke and expanding at the same time and buying extra equipment . Did you know that most of the Oak system is leased to oak by Vander pol enterprises? Did you know all the equipment is leased to Oak by Vander Pol enterprises ? Did you know Oak is one of the top 10 profitable companies in the states? Did you know that its Henry's dreams that got Oak to where its at Not Davids Or Eds?
Pissed I would say from a outsiders point of view the employees view is just that!!!:butt kiss:

"...Shifterknob,

Have you every utilized the communications tool you refer to [email protected] ? And if so, what kind of a response did you get?

Fair&Balanced..."

The answer is yes. And the answer I got was not satisfacory either in content or tone. This is also true of several other people I know who have utilized this "communication tool".

Does it really matter whether you have a face to face with Dave or Ed or Roadway Ronnie, or whether you converse via e-mail? The answers are usually couched in condescending language and are the epitomy of political non-answers.

Communication is all well and fine... actually hearing and understanding and implementing employee feedback is another thing entirely...

try this

I wasn't surprised to see that you were from pdx. Nobody has the cojones in Aub to either write a letter about your experience or even make a peep around the ol' aub terminal. And as for the younger guys not being attracted to ohfl as an employee. Dear Glass Palace, The young bucks have figured it out that you guys are pompass. They know that you are all full of hot air. There are plentiful union jobs available, without the horse crap. I sure hope aub employees can turn this around and build a little unity. I would love no better than to show up on the strike line and toss some King Salmon on the bbq. Take care, DSFU member.:1036316054: Dinosaur Killer

I was hoping that you were in Aub. Im not surprised this has come from PDX. If they could stick together in aub a bit then the entire co. would be run differently. Management walks all over there employees and they love it. As for the younger guys not being attracted to ohfl. Well, here it is. The younger guys you have working for you now, relay the message to their generation that there job sucks. And management continues to divide employees. I would love no more than to throw some King Salmon fillets on the strike line bbq. I hope you guys can turn this thing around. DSFU member. Sincerely, Dinosaurs worst nightmare.

I'd say there is a bit more backbone in Auburn these days, but only because they've been getting the pointy edge of the stick lately, especially linehaul. But only time will tell if everyone is willing to take a stand for what they believe in.

I can guarantee you that the family is banking on a lot of the union employees caving in when things start getting hot and sticky, especially in the eastside terminals, who have traditionally proven they would rather roll over and play dead than take any kind of a stand on anything important.

I hope for all of our sakes that we as a group will stand together for once instead of playing into the company's well-worn gambit of divide and conquer...