ABF | The Sign said

Did it say anything about long haired freaky people??…
I think the words go..oh man..good music..considered Hard Rock back in the day...

"Long haired freaky people need not apply, but I tucked my hair up under my hat (cowboy, of course) and went in to ask him why?"

Now, they'd hire you with a "do-rag" and count their blessings that they found someone !
Bikers have to work also. Those Harley's ain't cheap & neither are the women on the back. :1036316054::438:

Last edited:
Signs all over the Bulletin Board at My Terminal, Ask all Employee"s to work Smart! If you tell management that the way they are doing something is'nt very Smart, Then all of a sudden your a Trouble maker
They just fired the #2 guy at our place, he buried his father & father in law the same week, he was on fmla. Came back to work went on a run & called in saying he did not sleep at all the night before and was fatigued, came back TM told him if he don't go back out he would be terminated (he was also advised by the labor man) & that is what happened. Im not going to go any further into this because of legal action that may or may not take place....

They just fired the #2 guy at our place, he buried his father & father in law the same week, he was on fmla. Came back to work went on a run & called in saying he did not sleep at all the night before and was fatigued, came back TM told him if he don't go back out he would be terminated (he was also advised by the labor man) & that is what happened. Im not going to go any further into this because of legal action that may or may not take place....
Wow is an understatement.... My old TM punched (and broke) a window and wasn't terminated (and the company was informed) and tried covering it up by purchasing and installing a new window himself....we had a driver walk out when he had to take a run he didn't want, he said he was tired, threw his paperwork (which hit our salesperson) and walked out....didn't get fired.....same region, same labor man....

The FMCSA. and the 49CFR directly address that. The Driver is required to self report any illness or fatigue that may result in unsafe operation.. Any coercion or retaliation is a violation and is taken seriously. Best of luck....

The FMCSA. and the 49CFR directly address that. The Driver is required to self report any illness or fatigue that may result in unsafe operation.. Any coercion or retaliation is a violation and is taken seriously. Best of luck....
The saftey videos & the sheets we have to sign are a joke. Basically forced a new hire out with a bad registration 3rd day on the job. I put a stop to that with one call to safety, like I said in a previous post they were a pleasure to deal with. The last video we watched was about depression & schizophrenia & that we should report it, we’ll it was reported & he was fired for it….

Last edited:
People drive drunk and cannot do it.

I drove a 18 wheeler in situations of extreme fatique for years. It was no problem getting in 10 days and nights worth of work straight through before sleeping a couple of days next week and do it again for another 10 days.

If you told anyone no that truck aint moving because You were tired, they fired you for cause. Leave it to you to fight it out with the FMCSA and DOT etc all of whom back then cannot be bothered to give a damn.

Thats one reason dispatch does not get to call me at home ever. You give me 15 days off after 4 months out straight, I'll see you sometime about the 18th day ready to run. I hope you can keep up.

Until then no phone calls or showing up on my porch. I have no time for you or anyone when I am off. In fact its very likely I am not even in the same state anymore I might be several states away enjoying the local scene and decompressing. Ive been known to go sailing a few times on the sea. God only knows where that boat or ship has gone. But I know that my ass aint at home sitting quietly on time off ready to grab the phone for dear leader... er dispatcher.

What part of I am off do you not understand?

Fast forward to today, I smile when bad weather etc shows up and the poor schmucks have to fight through the nigh to be on the east coast for early pre sunrise delivery etc. Aint my problem no more.

Driving tired is a greater offense than driving drunk. If you are some kind of Suited Poobah in charge of a Trucking Company full of tired, overworked lazy sumbums why have you not scrapped the whole fleet and bought into robot tractors up to your eyeballs? And then fired the whole lot of them.

Part two.

I remember a load in the Meijers in Detriot. It was a floor driver unload. To small wood. Inventoried and built each of them according to their specs. In other words doing the work for free so that the poor slobs just pull up with a forklift and transfer it to a store trailer straight through.

I pulled in at 2 am after a over day run and half the night to get there from Carolinas. Sit waiting until sunrise to get past the gaurds and get a dock. Ordered to get to work. Be fast. (Meh...)

That was day one. The sun went down, through the night and came back up the day two morning. Three whole shifts came and gone and returned to work and I am still plugging away in there. Maybe 5 pallets left in the nose. Full of little ::shit::.

A suit stood on my tail gate and questioned why am I not yet done? I threw the spreadsheets at him, flipped a pallet down by his squeaky shoes and told him you want it done? Go to it.

Bobtaled out for breakfast and a sleep at the detriotor.

I was told to wait over the satellite. On the third day a message came from dispatch saying I have been specifically banned from that facility and I am in a alot of trouble with the company and are now on probation.

I told them, thats awesome I never have to worry about them ever again in my life. They blew up and became enraged.

20 some years later I am going back into Meijers with a hot special load going around to one of the back docks where a crew was waiting to strip our load off that trailer.

Getting past the gaurds took a hour as a bunch of phone calls were made. They needed that load. Either at the dock or at the bullpen and walk back and forth I dont give a damn.

They had me empty in 10 minutes and kicked out in 20. The whole place was filled with human ants all over my load. If they only did that the first time back in the 80's....

Unless there have been changes I'm not aware of, refusal of work assignment is not one of the contractually enumerated reasons for immediate discharge. Don't know how this can possibly be upheld.

I have been carted by ambulance several times.

I was in the Grand Union Distribution in Albany delivering Eggs from Northern Central Maryland there. While tugging a pallet of eggs higher than I am I hit a patch of water that was not cleaned up that early in the morning on that floor. Rammed the knee into the jack.

They shipped me to Troy NY for Trauma eval and luckly it was not busted. It should have been. Grand Union sent me 250 dollars flat as a settlement so I dont sue the bejesus out of them later. The medical bills of the ER that day was a total of 140 ambulance was another 30. So I came out ahead. They unloaded the rest of the eggs and I was back on the road a few hours later running for Akzo Salt in Seneca Lakes for Baltimore next morning. To this day that knee acts up in storm conditions as the arthritis sets in.

Even at percentage the load only paid me about 60 dollars for my trouble with the damn thing for two days worth of work involved in getting the load off the farm up there and then unloaded. Its not worth it. Not then not now. The salt load paid about 60 more by the end of the third day. Always chasing the ******* dollar. Never enough of it.

As far as being in Troy in the ER they had a woman complain incessantly that she was bleeding. The whole dept got tired of it. Finally the nurse yelled at her. Bleed all you damn well please lady, we have more blood right here.

Peace and quiet. No more of that bleeding howling.