TForce | The TForce to-do list: 12 things TFI wants to fix about UPS Freight

Dockworker

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Parcel is and has been UPS' priority. So, some freight-division expenses — a few of which Bedard noted are "not normal" — went unaddressed.

"We're going to spend a lot of time and energy working with the team there to make things happen, as fast as we can," Bedard said……..
A little summary for the newer and current members that might not want to dig around.

I know we haven’t hit the bottom yet, my barn is scrambling to make things work by bringing in new drivers and try to retain them with no equipment to use, while at the same time laying off some. what play book was that from?
Production and Operating ratios starting to rise even with a decrease in freight volumes. Starting local P&D runs later so they can stuff it with late incoming inbound to eliminate service failures.
Than expecting the overloaded driver to make pick ups and meet early close times.
On top of that, they are asking drivers to volunteer to get off the clock and go home, while customers are calling in and asking “where’s the driver?, Are you picking us up? we’ve been waiting an hour past close time , where’s my switch?, you missed us three days in a row!’ (Which is why we lost good customers)
It’s literally a poop show.
They have now resorted back to an even harder yet comical UPS mentality to help right their sinking ship. It’s probably a last ditch effort before the TForce axe swings at the local management team. We as drivers have tried to help and give advice but they dismiss us.
Some drivers have bounced out and quit or retired, they don’t want to deal with the growing pains.

The TForce to-do list: 12 things TFI wants to fix about UPS Freight

All I know is alot of drivers are fed up and finding jobs elsewhere. The new dock workers are poorly trained on how to load and secure freight. The shops SUCK. Management is wearing out their arms patting themselves on the back. And don't even get me started on central dispatch.

1) i don't understand this one.

2) i think part of the problem is residentials: We aren't given the right tools to do the job: How do you deliver sunsetter? What about Rogue fitness? Can you move this with a pallet jack?

Can we maybe get with the shippers and suggest maybe better ways to package the freight? For example use a smaller pallet or break it into two or more pallets with Rogue.

3) Why not just get rid of all the appointment freight altogether? i've noticed much more appointment freight compared to years before.

4) The problem is not 68. The problem is following to close, being in a rush. Falling asleep. WE had a bad one in birmingham last year. 68 had nothing to do with it.

5) self-explanatory.

6) Can't comment on this.

7) i agree with this one. This cuts down on environmental risk which is very costly. Since, we, specifically, at my terminal only fuel like once a week, it doesn't cost us that much time.

8) It's because we don't give a F; We only care about numbers. i don't see this ever changing.

9) If we own the doors, why is this a problem? i say the more doors the better for most terminals. If you've ever been to York, then maybe that is one terminal that doesn't need that many doors. But, in general, i think most terminals need as many doors as possible. This does not seem to me to be a big issue that we need to address right now.

10) i agree with this one, but it ties in with #9 above; If you combine terminals, now you need more doors.

11) can't really comment on this one.

12) i somewhat agree with this one. i don't see why anyone does or needs to do COD nowadays?

This is a moving target, so it isn't gonna be fixed anytime soon. No one from UPS style of management is ever gonna fixed this place, EVER!
They don't think outside the box, can't think outside the box, and won't think outside the box. UPS management mentality is the square peg will go into the round hole because we are UPS.

This is a moving target, so it isn't gonna be fixed anytime soon. No one from UPS style of management is ever gonna fixed this place, EVER!
They don't think outside the box, can't think outside the box, and won't think outside the box. UPS management mentality is the square peg will go into the round hole because we are UPS.

The consolation to this is: It's still an above average gig overall----despite the room for improvement in the organizational side of things.....

i mean, let's be real....

In the past if a employee were to leave they would have to take a 10+dollar an hour pay cut, which would cover the cost of the harassment. Most jobs now are at or above our current pay scale. If they keep up these stupid rules or harassment you will see more people leave.
I hit 25 years beginning of next year. I was told the other day I'm getting out and looking the wrong way. I'm supposed to walk around the truck clockwise not counter clockwise. So now I spend my breaks and lunch looking for better employment opportunities. They bring it upon themselves.

In the past if a employee were to leave they would have to take a 10+dollar an hour pay cut, which would cover the cost of the harassment. Most jobs now are at or above our current pay scale. If they keep up these stupid rules or harassment you will see more people leave.
I hit 25 years beginning of next year. I was told the other day I'm getting out and looking the wrong way. I'm supposed to walk around the truck clockwise not counter clockwise. So now I spend my breaks and lunch looking for better employment opportunities. They bring it upon themselves.
UPS management mentality. It's hopeless for them. They can't change, because they aren't equipped to change, trained to change, or encourage to change.

I understand a Regional V P is retiring soon. This will be Bedard's chance to show what he has got. Will it be a UPGF retread? Or are they serious about moving forward..
We are watching.....

A senior V P is also leaving soon..
Interested to see where that goes...
Same ol' same ol', or new direction?????

the on
1) i don't understand this one.

2) i think part of the problem is residentials: We aren't given the right tools to do the job: How do you deliver sunsetter? What about Rogue fitness? Can you move this with a pallet jack?

Can we maybe get with the shippers and suggest maybe better ways to package the freight? For example use a smaller pallet or break it into two or more pallets with Rogue.

3) Why not just get rid of all the appointment freight altogether? i've noticed much more appointment freight compared to years before.

4) The problem is not 68. The problem is following to close, being in a rush. Falling asleep. WE had a bad one in birmingham last year. 68 had nothing to do with it.

5) self-explanatory.

6) Can't comment on this.

7) i agree with this one. This cuts down on environmental risk which is very costly. Since, we, specifically, at my terminal only fuel like once a week, it doesn't cost us that much time.

8) It's because we don't give a F; We only care about numbers. i don't see this ever changing.

9) If we own the doors, why is this a problem? i say the more doors the better for most terminals. If you've ever been to York, then maybe that is one terminal that doesn't need that many doors. But, in general, i think most terminals need as many doors as possible. This does not seem to me to be a big issue that we need to address right now.

10) i agree with this one, but it ties in with #9 above; If you combine terminals, now you need more doors.

11) can't really comment on this one.

12) i somewhat agree with this one. i don't see why anyone does or needs to do COD nowadays?
residential deliveries are by far the fastest growing segment of LTL. You back out of handling that sector and your bill count will only decline. There is no bad freight, just poorly priced freight. Residential is difficult but with the right equipment and profit margin it can and should be part of the pie.

the on

residential deliveries are by far the fastest growing segment of LTL. You back out of handling that sector and your bill count will only decline. There is no bad freight, just poorly priced freight. Residential is difficult but with the right equipment and profit margin it can and should be part of the pie.
The vast majority of all injuries are happening on residential deliveries. The equipment is a pallet jack, dolly and a lift gate.