Reddaway | The truth why we went union sac.ca.

The Filp flop story continues, If you ask one guy you get one answer and another guy a totally different answer, How's that for together brotherhood? It's just selfish non hard workers looking to get by with doing less work! I mean come on putting in grivences for "PAPER TOWELS" in one terminal? That was good use of company production time!! DO YOUR JOB GOOD AND WE WILL PROSPER!!!!!!

chris, it's hard to tell if your from sac or not, but if you're non union, and you doubled your production, do you think the company would raise your pay based on a good work ethic?

chris, it's hard to tell if your from sac or not, but if you're non union, and you doubled your production, do you think the company would raise your pay based on a good work ethic?
I have been reading some of this from a far. The recent threads have been pretty good. Look at some of the others and you will find the union is not all warm and fuzzy. It can be good and bad. I think it depends if you can take care of yourself or need someone to do it for you. Kind of like owning a car but not knowing how to work on it.
Let me ask you this usf, did you start the company with any your personal money? As an employee are you getting paid the same amount as your brother that does not have same union mentality...yes. The problem is if you have a piece crap or a guy that tears is up they get paid the same? What about going to YOUR UNION and say let's add piece work mentality into the contract so if I want to work hard and make more I can?
That will never fly, you'll flush out the slugs. Slugs pay dues and that's what it's all about!
If you want the big bucks, work for yourself and become self employed! Take your own risks with your own money rather than asking for more than what you voted for.
Remember your gave away power of attorney. You voted for the union scale and not a penny more, so why should you get it?
Your attitude is why jobs are leaving USA. You want to hide behind the contract and get something for nothing. HMM, work hard, make money, company makes money, I did not input a dime, but I should be paid over scale because I work hard? WOW.
If you were running your own business and your employee asked you the question above what would you say? Be a teamster, they have "respect"? Would you say F you, I'm paying you scale?
Or would you consider paying by the piece, paid for what you do, similar to what the non union contractors do?
You wanted the contract, you got a contract. Don't be a little ***** after the fact and ask for more....not in the contract.....

Rainman,

I think you are missing the point of why workers want the union. It has alot more to do with security,healthcare, and pension than it has to do with money.

Security- can't get fired just because some jerk decides they don't like you or someone decides they want their relative working instead of you. Don't say it doesn't happen either. We both know when you work at an at-will job you can be fired for nothing. They do not have to give a reason. It happens all the time.

Healthcare- The company can decide to stop healthcare at any time. They can raise co-pays and monthly payments at any time. They are under no obligation what-so-ever to have healthcare. Don't say that never happens either. Every year reddaway drivers got a raise the co-pay for healthcare went up. Not much of a raise if you ask me.

Pension-This one should be self explanatory but I'll explain anyway. 401k were and are not meant to be a sole retirement. The company can stop contributions anytime they want. They stop the plan any time they want. In the case of Reddaway how long do you think the company would continue their match operating at 101. Not very long and you can bet the match would have ended next year. teamsters has a 401k. So tell me who in their right mind would not want both. Any investment manager would tell you both is the way to go.

So please tell me again why anyone in their right mind would not want to go union.

And believe ma the union and union attitudes is not why companies are leaving the US. Its the bullsh*t taxes and fees that kill most businesses. The ones that survive that only leave because they want cheap labor. So where would you stand on that one. Do you not want to get paid what your worth? Of course you do and while you sit around and knock the union there will be plenty of illegals after at-will job. They will get it too. Not because they are better but because they are cheaper. So don't blame the union for things that happen because of spineless workers that don't stand up for themselves and aren't willing to fight for what they deserve.

As far as slugs go. I don't care where you work there will be lazy people. I tend to see more of them in at-will jobs than anywhere else.

On closing I think its high time people take responsibility for themselves and while doing that look out for your fellow worker. There is no reason what-so-ever for anyone to be rude, condescending, and plain mean. That my fellow worker is whats wrong with most places. Not the union.

Rainman pretty well said

just look at the problems the auto industries in.Thats why WE pay $25,000 for a car nowadays.The non union Japanies auto manufactures are prospering here in the great U S of A

Rainman,

I think you are missing the point of why workers want the union. It has alot more to do with security,healthcare, and pension than it has to do with money.

Security- can't get fired just because some jerk decides they don't like you or someone decides they want their relative working instead of you. Don't say it doesn't happen either. We both know when you work at an at-will job you can be fired for nothing. They do not have to give a reason. It happens all the time.

Healthcare- The company can decide to stop healthcare at any time. They can raise co-pays and monthly payments at any time. They are under no obligation what-so-ever to have healthcare. Don't say that never happens either. Every year reddaway drivers got a raise the co-pay for healthcare went up. Not much of a raise if you ask me.

Pension-This one should be self explanatory but I'll explain anyway. 401k were and are not meant to be a sole retirement. The company can stop contributions anytime they want. They stop the plan any time they want. In the case of Reddaway how long do you think the company would continue their match operating at 101. Not very long and you can bet the match would have ended next year. teamsters has a 401k. So tell me who in their right mind would not want both. Any investment manager would tell you both is the way to go.

So please tell me again why anyone in their right mind would not want to go union.

And believe ma the union and union attitudes is not why companies are leaving the US. Its the bullsh*t taxes and fees that kill most businesses. The ones that survive that only leave because they want cheap labor. So where would you stand on that one. Do you not want to get paid what your worth? Of course you do and while you sit around and knock the union there will be plenty of illegals after at-will job. They will get it too. Not because they are better but because they are cheaper. So don't blame the union for things that happen because of spineless workers that don't stand up for themselves and aren't willing to fight for what they deserve.

As far as slugs go. I don't care where you work there will be lazy people. I tend to see more of them in at-will jobs than anywhere else.

On closing I think its high time people take responsibility for themselves and while doing that look out for your fellow worker. There is no reason what-so-ever for anyone to be rude, condescending, and plain mean. That my fellow worker is whats wrong with most places. Not the union.
I LOVE YOU MAN

I LOVE YOU MAN
Dude, I can understand some of your points. The co-pay you mention was minimal and did tarnish the pay increase when you consider the increase in the 401k cont. I'm talking about voting for representation, giving power of attorney and then come back cry about wanting more for work hard and not being a slug! Screw yourself and honor...honor...honor what "you" agreed to and cut the soap box crap. Jerry Magguire does not work for the IBT. It's only in movies.

The thing is I don't whine, I don't screw myself, and I rarely jump up my soap box. Only do that when its needed. I am perfectly happy. No complaining here. Its actually a very simple concept. Go to work do your job and go home. The not so simple part is when the company and its wonderful management decides they want to mess with you or anyone else. Or they decide they to cut benefits, raise health care costs, and take away anything else of any value. Thats why workers organize and thats why its needed. If it was a different time and place and all was happy happy then it wouldn't be needed. But we all know that is definitely not the case when it comes to big money and big corporations. Its all about the bottom line and mighty dollar not about work habits or work ethics. Those days are long gone I'm sorry to say.

Bottom line is, these corporations don't give a crap about you or any other at will employee. All this talk that T.J. gives about "valuing our employee's" is just a dog and pony show (which is sad considering where he stared out). If it were too come down to it, the company wouldn't think twice about taking away our pay, bene's, etc. while guys like T.J., Bob, Gary, and all the other upper management keep their top pay, bonuses, company vehicles, company credit cards, food expenses and what ever else it is that our upper management has in their "CONTRACT". Notice the key word anyone??? Representation to fight to keep. That's what it's all about. Now there are guys that take advantage. But on the same hand, I work out of a non-union terminal and we have a couple of guys that aren't worth a damn but the company holds on to them for some reason. I guess they don't need the union to protect their jobs now do they? Peons... That's all we are and our management loves to take advantage and remind us of that each chance they get. The barbeque's they have for us every 6 months is just to string us along...

I better shut up before I get told, "Quit if you don't like your job." That seems to be the most common Non-Union Fraze so far.

Bottom line is, these corporations don't give a crap about you or any other at will employee. All this talk that T.J. gives about "valuing our employee's" is just a dog and pony show (which is sad considering where he stared out). If it were too come down to it, the company wouldn't think twice about taking away our pay, bene's, etc. while guys like T.J., Bob, Gary, and all the other upper management keep their top pay, bonuses, company vehicles, company credit cards, food expenses and what ever else it is that our upper management has in their "CONTRACT". Notice the key word anyone??? Representation to fight to keep. That's what it's all about. Now there are guys that take advantage. But on the same hand, I work out of a non-union terminal and we have a couple of guys that aren't worth a damn but the company holds on to them for some reason. I guess they don't need the union to protect their jobs now do they? Peons... That's all we are and our management loves to take advantage and remind us of that each chance they get. The barbeque's they have for us every 6 months is just to string us along...

I better shut up before I get told, "Quit if you don't like your job." That seems to be the most common Non-Union Fraze so far.

Well said and very true. And your right the favorite phrase is quit if you don't like it. Well I could say the same to those at Sac who didn't want to go union. Don't like it go find an at will job and enjoy yourself. They would never do it though because they know they are better off now. They just would never admit it.

GREAT POST Turtle:1036316054:

I have been reading some of this from a far. The recent threads have been pretty good. Look at some of the others and you will find the union is not all warm and fuzzy. It can be good and bad. I think it depends if you can take care of yourself or need someone to do it for you. Kind of like owning a car but not knowing how to work on it.
Let me ask you this usf, did you start the company with any your personal money? As an employee are you getting paid the same amount as your brother that does not have same union mentality...yes. The problem is if you have a piece crap or a guy that tears is up they get paid the same? What about going to YOUR UNION and say let's add piece work mentality into the contract so if I want to work hard and make more I can?
That will never fly, you'll flush out the slugs. Slugs pay dues and that's what it's all about!
If you want the big bucks, work for yourself and become self employed! Take your own risks with your own money rather than asking for more than what you voted for.
Remember your gave away power of attorney. You voted for the union scale and not a penny more, so why should you get it?
Your attitude is why jobs are leaving USA. You want to hide behind the contract and get something for nothing. HMM, work hard, make money, company makes money, I did not input a dime, but I should be paid over scale because I work hard? WOW.
If you were running your own business and your employee asked you the question above what would you say? Be a teamster, they have "respect"? Would you say F you, I'm paying you scale?
Or would you consider paying by the piece, paid for what you do, similar to what the non union contractors do?
You wanted the contract, you got a contract. Don't be a little ***** after the fact and ask for more....not in the contract.....

I really really tried to stay away from responding to your personal attacks, which I thought were not allowed on truckingboards, but it seems the wolves are getting thick around here.
I don't have any idea how or why you can call a little "whatever" and that I'm coming back asking for more. I have not posted anything that resembles that. No sir, I will not call you a name back. I will let YOUR reputation speak for itself. That would be all 11 posts, and all negative 35 points. I didn't know that one could accelerate a downward spiral like that, but it seems as though you and management have proven that it is quite possible.

I guess what I'm trying to express to chris is a very sad fact, that companies no longer see employees as an asset nowadays; they see them as a liability.And the companies set themselves up to turn on an employee and relieve themselves from that liability. Take for instance the IIPP program that was instituted a few years ago. We can now be disciplined for being injured on the job. No matter how safe you are working, it will always be your fault. This concept is not harsh on me; being a driver, I have accepted and become numb over the years to the fact that "everything" is the driver's fault. After all I'm the captain of my ship. And don't act like I'm oblivious to the concept of "piecework", all my hooks and drops are based on piecework. I get paid by the mile, when the truck stops rolling, the bucks stop flowing. See how fun piecework is when you have to build a train out of three other trains in the pouring down rain.

I have never gone back to ask for more after I voted on a contract, I have no idea what you mean. And how did I give away the power of attorney? What in the hell does that mean?

My attitude is not why jobs are leaving the USA. Jobs are leaving the USA because the greedy executives want to squeeze more pennies out of labor and into their own over-inflated salaries, and ridiculous bonuses. Don't get me started on bonuses, cause the last time we were offered performance bonuses, we exceeded expectations, only to have management renig on the deal. We ended up going to court over that one(and won)

I'm tired of beating my head against a wall, I'm gone:1036316054::chairshot::funky::butt kiss:

I really really tried to stay away from responding to your personal attacks, which I thought were not allowed on truckingboards, but it seems the wolves are getting thick around here.
I don't have any idea how or why you can call a little "whatever" and that I'm coming back asking for more. I have not posted anything that resembles that. No sir, I will not call you a name back. I will let YOUR reputation speak for itself. That would be all 11 posts, and all negative 35 points. I didn't know that one could accelerate a downward spiral like that, but it seems as though you and management have proven that it is quite possible.

I guess what I'm trying to express to chris is a very sad fact, that companies no longer see employees as an asset nowadays; they see them as a liability.And the companies set themselves up to turn on an employee and relieve themselves from that liability. Take for instance the IIPP program that was instituted a few years ago. We can now be disciplined for being injured on the job. No matter how safe you are working, it will always be your fault. This concept is not harsh on me; being a driver, I have accepted and become numb over the years to the fact that "everything" is the driver's fault. After all I'm the captain of my ship. And don't act like I'm oblivious to the concept of "piecework", all my hooks and drops are based on piecework. I get paid by the mile, when the truck stops rolling, the bucks stop flowing. See how fun piecework is when you have to build a train out of three other trains in the pouring down rain.

I have never gone back to ask for more after I voted on a contract, I have no idea what you mean. And how did I give away the power of attorney? What in the hell does that mean?

My attitude is not why jobs are leaving the USA. Jobs are leaving the USA because the greedy executives want to squeeze more pennies out of labor and into their own over-inflated salaries, and ridiculous bonuses. Don't get me started on bonuses, cause the last time we were offered performance bonuses, we exceeded expectations, only to have management renig on the deal. We ended up going to court over that one(and won)

I'm tired of beating my head against a wall, I'm gone:1036316054::chairshot::funky::butt kiss:

Good post,stop beating your head against a wall,none of RAINMANS posts make any since! His mom should take his laptop away,and make him pay rent!