TForce | The Unanswerable Question:

Then the whole forum is pointless and it’s obvious that no one on corporate level cares but the point of the forum is to have open discussions about various topics and ideas wether it makes any difference or not.

I was with Overnite when they started the Niteliner program,
That was the beginning of most of the headaches involved in line-haul. Up to then they cut-off at 8 pm and if it wasn't loaded it didn't go.
The city side dispatched at 8:30 am, if it wasn't loaded it waited till tomorrow.
The hubs had cut times for all dispatches and it was rare to wait too long for a hook. Not a lot of wait 4 hours because this shipment is "due". We also had to give them 2 hours till we got paid for waiting, but that was just the way it was. They also had fuel jockeys and yardmen who would, more often than not have your set hooked by then.
The shippers got accustomed to next day and demanded faster and faster and farther and farther and the salesmen sold it. Paper logs and no telematics, except for the old Sangamo Tachograph that was easily fooled. We could make up time on occasion despite the 250 h p Macks we were proud to drive.
Times they be a changin'.....

Last edited:
I was with Overnite when they started the Niteliner program,
That was the beginning of most of the headaches involved in line-haul. Up to then they cut-off at 8 pm and if it wasn't loaded it didn't go.
The city side dispatched at 8:30 am, if it wasn't loaded it waited till tomorrow.
The hubs had cut times for all dispatches and it was rare to wait too long for a hook. Not a lot of wait 4 hours because this shipment is "due". We also had to give them 2 hours till we got paid for waiting, but that was just the way it was. They also had fuel jockeys and yardmen who would, more often than not have your set hooked by then.
The shippers got accustomed to next day and demanded faster and faster and farther and farther and the salesmen sold it. Paper logs and no telematics, except for the old Sangamo Tachograph that was easily fooled. We could make up time on occasion despite the 250 h p Macks we were proud to drive.
Times they be a changin'.....
I ran 2 nights a week with an Overnite driver from Char to Jax, along with a Carolina, and Big R who ran Valdosta.
We left Char at midnight and kept the airways filled with hate and discontent each night on the CB.
I'd tell them they were poor because I was off on Sat & Sun.
He gave up his Fla bid for a Nashville because that truck ran 65 mph.
Had a lot of fun and good times.

I ran 2 nights a week with an Overnite driver from Char to Jax, along with a Carolina, and Big R who ran Valdosta.
We left Char at midnight and kept the airways filled with hate and discontent each night on the CB.
I'd tell them they were poor because I was off on Sat & Sun.
He gave up his Fla bid for a Nashville because that truck ran 65 mph.
Had a lot of fun and good times.
I remember those days, courtesy, good CB friendships, we all ate together when we stopped. If you were broke down somebody would stop and take the little card to a pay phone with your location on. Those days are gone.. Sad..
I don't miss the smoke belching, cab shakin', oven in the summer, freezer in the winter, back crushin' ride of the old Macks.
I used to wear 4 way flashers out pulling the hills on I-81, either 75 mph down or 30 mph up. Skakin', vibratin', rattlin', sweatin', cursin', but I wasn't alone that's just how it was. Whites Truck Stop was a welcome sight. How long would the new generation of drivers last in that equipment?
People would ask what kind of truck I drove, I would tell them a Rolls Canardly, rolls good downhill, canardly go up....

I remember those days, courtesy, good CB friendships, we all ate together when we stopped. If you were broke down somebody would stop and take the little card to a pay phone with your location on. Those days are gone.. Sad..
I don't miss the smoke belching, cab shakin', oven in the summer, freezer in the winter, back crushin' ride of the old Macks.
I used to wear 4 way flashers out pulling the hills on I-81, either 75 mph down or 30 mph up. Skakin', vibratin', rattlin', sweatin', cursin', but I wasn't alone that's just how it was. Whites Truck Stop was a welcome sight. How long would the new generation of drivers last in that equipment?
People would ask what kind of truck I drove, I would tell them a Rolls Canardly, rolls good downhill, canardly go up....
Went by the old Whites a couple of weeks ago, no longer Whites.
Hard to believe the traffic on 81 compared to past years.
Do you remember a rock fell off the mountain on I-40 years ago and hurt one of your Charl drivers?
He was in the hospital for months, a good friend of mine.
his name was Starnes.
I should have better than ask you that, I'm making you older than dirt, it happened years ago.

Last edited:
Do you remember a rock fell off the mountain on I-40 years ago and hurt one of your Charl drivers?
his name was Starnes.
I should have better than ask you that, I'm making you older than dirt, it happened years ago.
Vaguely remember that, in the Gorge if I recall. Didn't know the man. Word travelled slowly back then.
Been in this business over 40 years.
8 months to go....

his name was Starnes.
And adjacent to White's was Yellow's beautiful Raphine relay location.

his name was Starnes.
Wasn't that Scatter Gun, out of CLT, that got hit by the falling rock. He never came back to work.

Wasn't that Scatter Gun, out of CLT, that got hit by the falling rock. He never came back to work.
Can't recall his handle, his first name was Billy, he passed a few years ago.
One of his brothers drove for Overland Transportation, 3 more had their own trucks.

In a normal situation you are correct Razorblade. But the original poster clearly stated that he only went to one hub and directly back to his hub nightly.
Because you're not the only one working. Another driver may need a set of pups. If they only bought and used trailers to suit you, the other drivers would not be happy. Go with the flow and take it slow. Pups are the "bigger picture".