1. All employers have a social media policy, Your identity is UNKNOWN on Truckingboards unless you reveal it somehow yourself. When you post to Facebook Trucking Groups, everybody knows your name. Think about it.

The what am I doing or did today thread part 2

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by Airbrakes, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Well-Known Member

Driver Since:
    That wasn't very exciting yet made it safely home both days so No Worries Mate.
    CHEERS!!

2. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    So this morning I went to a Driver Temp Service Client and was to hook a trailer to a rental Volvo when the trailer was not on the yard, but the paperwork was.
    A company driver of whom I would have NEVER figured could so egregiously screw up, did, as he had MY load on its' way to the wrong customer. He was stopped about 2 hours from Columbia, SC and turned around when "he realized by actually looking at the trailer", he had the wrong load.
    --Just another "driver doing a P.T.I. and matching load to bills" from the tractor--

I was told to "bill 8 hours" and we'll go from here, so I called the service and informed them of availability for Wednesday, as far as I know.
    I'm still pursuing the Lazer Spot gig and have a appt. with my contact at 11 a.m.

Remember:
    There's NO LOAD so hot it has to cool off on fire or in a ditch or in a river or greasy side up and your "dispatcher" isn't driving your truck.
    CHEERS!!

3. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    UPDATE:

Customer called me and asked "would you like to make a short day into a long one"?
    3 stops in So. Car.
    I unfortunately said yes and it went downhill.
    Truck had little power up hills and often on flat surfaces.
    Truck initiated regen numerous times while driving, so those were causing problems.
    First and second stops were fun. (I failed to shut off truck) which "might" have been the reason for continued "performance".
    3rd was fun until I started truck and discovered it derated the engine to 5 m.p.h.
    THAT caused a service tech to appear (about 2030) and engage a 1 hour 20 minute regen to discover again.
    Couple more calls and a replacement truck arrived from Charlotte, nc., around 03:00 on a hook from Kernersville, nc.
    Tow guy was summoned from Kernersville to Charlotte to get unit to Hartsville, sc.
    I got back to origin by 0600 & was done at 06:15.
    It'll take a bit of sleep to create 2 comic book pages that appear legit since I was "on duty" till about 11 p.m. and first started at 07:00 then 10 a.m., so it'll be fun.

I start the new gig at Laser Spot on Thursday.
    CHEERS!!

4. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Living from direct deposit to direct deposit.

Driver Since:
    Are you SURE you wouldn't rather drive that concrete Truck? Lololol.

Cerberus_Kelpie likes this.
  5. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    Comic Pages denote 10 hour sleeper from 22:00-08:00, THEN switching vehicles and getting back to GSO and done by noon-15.
    No Barrel (Goo) Trucks in my future yet Thanks B-2-U You othertrucker2001!
    - - - -
    Started Lazer (NOT Lazy) Spot yesterday.
    It's NOT a Coca-Cola (Red Classic) site, yet such site is next door.

It's WAYFAIR with 26 dock doors. It gets very exciting from 1400 to 1600.
    6 wheel switcher trucks as loads are not heavy.

While I agreed to 2nd shift, for now (and a little while[?]) I'll be covering some of First and Second.
    Today I'll be shuttling loaded trailers to a local yard, BT back to Hook Up.
    Penske 10 wheel Freightshaker 12 speed auto-shift, no big deal. 5 mile turns.

After Memorial Day, we'll all be rolling M-F 10 hour days (Noon to 22:30) with some random Saturday hours.
    O.T. after 50 hours.
    It's finally again ONE PLACE.

CHEERS!!

6. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member

Driver Since:
    Good luck on your new job, hope you can handle those long turns.
    Order yourself a "My Pillow" for your steering wheel breaks.

7. othertrucker2001

Driver Since:
    Don't forget the second one for free....just pay extra charges.

seabreeze and pro1driver like this.
  8. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    Thanks to ALL!

Here's where the weirdness begins:

Company Motto:
    http://www.lazerspot.com/equipment/

Apparently DOT COMPLIANT isn't a core value regardless of claiming such a few times on their website OR Corporate is unaware of sites with UNSAFE Equipment.
    The 2 Owners, http://www.lazerspot.com/history-and-values/ started the Company with a Crap Unit so they should be fully Compliant with ALL operational Sites.
    https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.a...napshot&query_param=USDOT&query_string=850629
    SMS RESULTS

Company has (as claimed in their Employee Literature) requirements when moving Trailers:
    Use Service(Blue), Electric(Green), Emergency(Red) for ALL Trailer moves!
    Would be nice as that's MY motto yet Electric Relay is corrupted. Either BAD Pigtail or Electrical system corrupted.

I drove a unit yesterday (second day on job) and of course it was during a brief 30 minutes+ torrential rain, and discovered that Unit has severe SAFETY problems:

1) ALL BRAKE shoes are Good, just all Brakes were extremely Out Of Adjustment to effectively resemble Coaster Brakes. Stopping with just Unit: scary. With a empty Trailer: scarier. With a Loaded Trailer: start Braking WAY before You need to and hopefully Air Tanks not drained before stop.
    2) Tall Mirror Sight Side: While attached properly, adjustment is secured by 2 cardboard toilet paper tubes or whatever works (1 top, 1 bottom) and main Body frame attachment is LOOSE, so whole assembly adjusts itself.
    3) Cab Sliding Door: NO Locking Mechanism so door simply slides closed and open. NO Internal Handle. External Handle used to "Tie door Open" with whatever securing device is available. Zip Ties seem to work.
    4) Lights: NONE on Dash. Headlights work: Low. Marker Lights: Front Left works but no Blink. Front Right Light non existent.
    Rear Left and Right, operational yet not in 4 way mode. Brake Lights? Unknown. Turn Signals: NO. Top of Cab Marker Lights: I didn't notice if operational and care not considering all other PROBLEMS of unit.
    5) Dash Panel: All Gauges appear functional yet questionable.
    6) Engine idle: Excessively HIGH due to, most likely, lack of service intervals.
    7) Service Schedule: Not at all. Serviced seems random-haphazard. Just 2 Spotter units, so when one breaks down, there is NO backup.
    8) Defroster/Blower to clear fog on Interior front glass: Only functional somewhat on HIGH as long as other ventilation provided otherwise utilize roll of Heavy Duty (Blue) Paper Towels conveniently attached at top of front glass. Blower Switch turned through use of Pliers or in my case, heavy duty scissors.
    9) Horn: NON functional on "steering" wheel. Separate Push Button switch attached to dash panel for horn also NON functional.
    10) Back Up Alarm: FUNCTIONAL and VERY LOUD!
    11) Air Lines from Tractor: Emergency Line was Loose which accelerated Air Loss with Foot Brake applied. Hold Foot Brake for 30+ seconds and both valves pop up. Emergency Air Line simply slid OUT of attachment with little resistance after I shut off engine.
    12) Beacon Light Top Of Cab: NON functional.
    13) Added Spotlights (4): Right side top of cab rear facing: works. Left side top: NO work. Left side behind cab rear facing: NO work and Bracket can easily offer wounding of Operator when using entry/exit stairs. Right Side: works yet bracket same as Left Side and Light direction non adjustable.
    14) Steering: Surprisingly GOOD.
    15) Overall Appearance: LOOKS GOOD from 40+ Feet (Like some Cars and People). Up Close: BAD. Recommendation: AVOID USE OF THIS UNIT!
    PROOF considering Faulty Maintenance mainly in Georgia (their H. Q.)

Their Spotter trucks remind me of Harris-Teeter yet H.T. HAS a on site (Band-Aid) Maintenance Garage.

3rd day will be Monday.
    I agreed to a SECOND shift when Hired yet was asked to show up Monday at 06:00 - 14:30.
    One thing I'll make perfectly CLEAR Monday is "I'll NOT use that defective Spotter Truck because it is entirely against SAFETY and Company Policy"!!

What do Y'all Think eh?? Gimme the GOOD, BAD and UGLY.
    CHEERS!!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Big Dave likes this.
  9. Big Dave

Big Dave My Hat is my sunvisor

Driver Since:
    [​IMG]
    Tell them you'd rather drive this...

10. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member

Driver Since:
    This is the BAD and UGLY, How about the GOOD?

11. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    EXCELLENT Big Dave!!
    I've NEVER seen anything like that "yard truck".
    I dig the "One Eye"!
    When was that: 40's, 50's??

12. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode AD-FREE USER

Driver Since:
    Looks like you don't even need mirrors, just go by the feel as it brushes your back.

Cerberus_Kelpie and Big Dave like this.
  13. Big Dave

Big Dave My Hat is my sunvisor

Driver Since:
    Bet he's got a neat grease stripe on the back of his shirt...:17142:

kboomarang likes this.
  14. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    Well laser spot is no longer a concern.
    Had a brief chat with the "manager" and quickly discovered that he gives no care for SAFE EQUIPMENT or PERSONAL SAFETY, as he simply said to "write up the equipment defects and we'll get to them as we can", so I said "I'm not waiting on a maybe" or "sometime" and walked away. Shift was done. NO profanity or insults either way, just "thanks".
    I'll start looking after this next hoilday weekend.
    Call on some Bucket (Dump) truck companies as well local Barrel (Cement) truck companies.
    There are still Driving as well NON driving options.
    CHEERS!!

15. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
  16. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    Awaiting the Friend/New Owner of our ChevEl Camino.
    CHEERS!!

17. othertrucker2001

Driver Since:
    OR!!! TRY some of the auto parts stores. The ones around here are using retired guys for deliveries. (no more night driving)

pro1driver and Cerberus_Kelpie like this.
  18. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    RECOVERING FROM A TORMENTING 2 DAYS.....AGAIN.

My 4 day work week and has D.O.T. "violations" (but I so care not):

Tuesday :10 hours, NO d.o.t. break on Log Page. 05:00 - 15:00
    Wednesday :10 hours, NO d.o.t. break on Log Page. 04:30 - 14:30
    Thursday :15.5 hours, NO d.o.t. break on Log Page. 04:00 - 19:30
    Friday :14.5 hours, D.O.T. Break on Log Page. 06:00 - 21:00--:cool new::poster oops:--WORST DAY EVER with a 48' or 53' Spread Axle trailer that constantly leaked Air (O. O. S. criteria) whether or not Engine running or Brakes set.

Since E-Logs are REQUIRED for Companies except, somehow, Agriculture (and some other divisions like Oil and Gas), WE are allowed to use Paper Logs up to a whopping 8 days a Month if no E-Log system available. I have 7 days remaining this Month at that customer/client.

IF I choose to go back or they choose to allow me, ANY TRAILER WITH DEFECTS (Mud Flaps Missing (like the last one at Left Front), Brakes needing Replacement/Adjusting, Air Leaks, Bad Tires) DURING PRE-TRIP WILL NOT BE PULLED THAT DAY!!
    It's bad enough driving a Rental ([DIS]Advantage Truck Leasing) 10 wheel Volvo AUTOSHIFT 12 speed because of all the Trucking sissies that can't fathom the simplicity of a Reverse 9, Regular 10, Super 10 and Standard 13, 15, 18, 21 shift Transmission.
    LTL, Cement and Bucket Trucks, I understand Autoshift, but Road Trucks.

REMEMBER IT'S D. O. T. BLITZ WEEK FROM 6/03 THROUGH 6/07.
    BE SURE TO HAVE EXTRA DOUGHNUTS AND ENERGY DRINKS FOR THOSE WONDERFUL MEN AND WOMEN HANDING OUT
    O. O. S. VIOLATIONS (Safety Awards)!!

CHEERS!!

19. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    Messing around in Politics.

20. Cerberus_Kelpie

Driver Since:
    Just a friendly reminder that the next "BLITZ" is September. Make sure your Brake Parts and the rest of your Machinery is up to CODE.
    - - -
    Took a couple of weeks off work at the Temp Service to go to California.
    Will be working on getting the new Home set up for a few more weeks yet eh PLUS is the QUIET NEIGHBORHOOD & no "common walls" like of Condos which are simply Apartment complexes.
    - - -
    Started back to work last Wednesday and was at 3 companies, 2 which I'll attend again.
    Yesterday was with a division of First Fleet having a location on Indiana Ave. in Winston-Salem, NC with WESTROCK.
    First Problem was NO CODE to get in Pedestrian Gate, so I called a genius. Second Problem was NO CODE to get through Truck Gate for entrance to Yard after a short delivery to drop a trailer, so I AGAIN called the genius. Another "normal" company not beforehand providing NEEDED USEFUL information.
    Penske Manual shift 10 wheel rental day cab truck and a 53' Spring Ride Dry Van to Spartanburg, SC.
    Left Winston by Noon, returned by 21:30. Thanks go to NC for their inefficiently extended Construction project on I-85, China Grove and South. I-77 is NO SOLUTION as it's also a disaster.
    - - -
    Went on a interview at a Customer of Salem National Lease, on Thursday morning to discover the "SWITCHER" position requires one to use a DAY CAB (and sometimes a SLEEPER) to move/shuttle (hook, roll up gear, close doors, roll gear down, pull pin, on to next move) MANY trailers (sometimes Blindside with Tight Lanes) during a intense 12 hour shift (at 5 days) with a 30-45 minute Lunch as the only seemingly available break. The 2 OTTOWA Switcher Trucks on site are BROKEN DOWN, so I declined the offer mainly because of TOO MUCH ADDITIONAL UNEEDED WORK.
    - - -
    Temp Service has me "on call" for another company all next week.
    The UPSIDE is that IF they do not call during the "on call" period (and the past verifies they may well not) (05:00 - 10:00) then it's a paid 8 hours (and it "could" be another 40 hour week of easily waiting a few hours however I am not required to wake up at 5 a.m.).
    If they do call (through the service) during that waiting time, it's time and 1/2 for that day. If they call AFTER the waiting time it's regular pay, which isn't exciting plus it's almost 1 hour away.
    Problem with that company is USUALLY the equipment like trailers needing Brakes or Mud Flaps or Lights or Tires.
    Other problem is the Tractors (which have a blistering top end of 62 m.p.h. [except for rental trucks]) yet are manual, for what it's worth.
    Routes seem to be around 10-12 hours.
    I've been there 3 times and EVERY TIME a Equipment problem was offered.
    I EXPECT a SAFETY ISSUE the next time which is sad for a near 100 year old Company.
    - - -
    CHEERS!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018