ABF | they arent completely broke.....

abfer99

TB Lurker
Credits
Everyone seems to forget about the $30 million tax return the company is set to receive in july. Also they have enough money to buy prime tome commercials on HGTV for a new little purchase they have made called moving solutions. These commercials have been seen at least four times the last few nights between 6 and 7. That probably wasnt cheap. And where do you think the profits are going to be funnelled to keep us below the 97% oper. ratio., and moving solutions is also non union. Also you should check out the Arkansas Best Performing Arts Center ( on the web) and figure out how much you think that building cost just to maintain. So I dont think they are in as bad a shape as they would lead you to believe,

Ok, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm really not.... but if you think that they are going to separate the MoveBuilder revenue, wouldn't it stand to reason that they would have to spend that same money on advertising, etc.? All I'm saying is, this little black helicopter conspiricy theory stuff gets in the way of the actual pros and cons of the decisions that have to be made, IMHO.

Josh

as an abf driver i feel the need to voice my opinion after 32 years as a union driver no give back chairman makes 600thousand ceo 400thousand and driver 45thousand maybe 70thousand with ot who will this hurt more i will try to feed my kids less turn off the lights and heat and for vacation maybe we can fly on the ABF LEAR JET TO THE ABF HUNTING LODGE

I dunno, I think it's pointless to worry about what the execs make... suffice it to say they make significantly less than their counterparts at other companies, and I think I can respect that. Look at the salaries of execs at YRCW or pretty much any other billion dollar company in the world.

I was reading the details of "The Plan"... if you can get over the conspiracy theories that say that ABF will do whatever it can to avoid a sub-100 OR, it's not a bad plan. Any profits would be given back to the employees as part of the "Earnings Plus Plan" portion of the "The Plan"... other snap-backs related to a sub-98.5 OR... I just think it's not intelligent to think that they'd manipulate the OR to avoid these things as executive bonuses are by-and-large determined by the OR (as or pretty much every employee bonus given to the Go employees). 98.5 is NOT within the paying bonus range. The companies purpose is to profit, it's the only way people make more than their base salary (again, other than top execs, of which there are few, I'm thinking about the masses in general).

Like the guy above, I'm not trying to pick a fight... but I have to say ABF didn't get us in this boat. The boat was created by all the other carriers who lowered wages (union and non-union) to get an advantage. It's not realistic to expect a trucking company with significantly higher salary expense (it was already higher, not it's WAY higher) to compete IN THIS MARKET. Big losses in 09 would maybe be smaller losses in 10... but it'll still be losses, they just have to discount too much to keep business. The market basically just lowered the base-pay level for the trucking industry. Any company that refuses to try to conform will die out.

Hopefully the government will do something about the pension issue and if so, we'd quickly swing to a good profit and the "Earnings Plus Plan" would start paying out , or the snap-back would hit if it's enough to get below 98.5 OR.

No, I'm not management, and YES, I'm affected by all of this just like you are (up to this point, more so). There could be worse plans and yes it sucks to give anything up that you've earned, but I'd rather do it now and get it back later than wait till we're on the brink of failing to "negotiate" about it then.

[quote author=ScifiFri link=topic=79432.msg823480#msg823480 date=1271864093]
I dunno, I think it's pointless to worry about what the execs make... suffice it to say they make significantly less than their counterparts at other companies, and I think I can respect that. Look at the salaries of execs at YRCW or pretty much any other billion dollar company in the world.

I was reading the details of "The Plan"... if you can get over the conspiracy theories that say that ABF will do whatever it can to avoid a sub-100 OR, it's not a bad plan. Any profits would be given back to the employees as part of the "Earnings Plus Plan" portion of the "The Plan"... other snap-backs related to a sub-98.5 OR... I just think it's not intelligent to think that they'd manipulate the OR to avoid these things as executive bonuses are by-and-large determined by the OR (as or pretty much every employee bonus given to the Go employees). 98.5 is NOT within the paying bonus range. The companies purpose is to profit, it's the only way people make more than their base salary (again, other than top execs, of which there are few, I'm thinking about the masses in general).

Like the guy above, I'm not trying to pick a fight... but I have to say ABF didn't get us in this boat. The boat was created by all the other carriers who lowered wages (union and non-union) to get an advantage. It's not realistic to expect a trucking company with significantly higher salary expense (it was already higher, not it's WAY higher) to compete IN THIS MARKET. Big losses in 09 would maybe be smaller losses in 10... but it'll still be losses, they just have to discount too much to keep business. The market basically just lowered the base-pay level for the trucking industry. Any company that refuses to try to conform will die out.

Hopefully the government will do something about the pension issue and if so, we'd quickly swing to a good profit and the "Earnings Plus Plan" would start paying out , or the snap-back would hit if it's enough to get below 98.5 OR.

No, I'm not management, and YES, I'm affected by all of this just like you are (up to this point, more so). There could be worse plans and yes it sucks to give anything up that you've earned, but I'd rather do it now and get it back later than wait till we're on the brink of failing to "negotiate" about it then.
[/quote]

People never cease to amaze me. I guess that's why there are so many scam artists out there that make a good living.
Let's see you try to make this out to be a great thing for us:
In the event the Employer’s publicly disclosed operating ratio is below 97.00 for any calendar year during the life of this Plan, or, alternatively, in the event the Employer’s EBITDA exceeds $99.5 million for any calendar year during the life of this Plan, the wage reduction in effect on April 1 of the following year will be reduced by 5% on that date.

By the way...you sure sound like management!

[quote author=joshracing11 link=topic=79432.msg823465#msg823465 date=1271860559]
Ok, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm really not.... but if you think that they are going to separate the MoveBuilder revenue, wouldn't it stand to reason that they would have to spend that same money on advertising, etc.? All I'm saying is, this little black helicopter conspiricy theory stuff gets in the way of the actual pros and cons of the decisions that have to be made, IMHO.

Josh
[/quote]

Evidentially, you haven't heard of the paper that the locals will have to sign. It states that ABF UPack PROFITS will show up on Moving Solutions Inc.It don't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. I'll sell you that black helicopter if you would like for 1 billion. It was only used once by a little old lady.

[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=79432.msg823484#msg823484 date=1271865189]
People never cease to amaze me. I guess that's why there are so many scam artists out there that make a good living.
In the event the Employer’s publicly disclosed operating ratio is below 97.00 for any calendar year during the life of this Plan, or, alternatively, in the event the Employer’s EBITDA exceeds $99.5 million for any calendar year during the life of this Plan, the wage reduction in effect on April 1 of the following year will be reduced by 5% on that date.

[/quote]

I never said it was a great thing for anyone... it's just not as bad as I expected it would be. Not sure where I got the 98.5% # from... so replace 98.5% in my statement with 97%, otherwise, everything else is the same.

"You sure sound like management" just means "we don't agree" and I'll agree with that, but I'm not management, but I'm affected by this just as much as you or anyone else is. Like I said, I've already made sacrifices so I'm affected by it more. All I'm saying is that the plan could have been worse.

[quote author=ScifiFri link=topic=79432.msg823491#msg823491 date=1271866484]
[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=79432.msg823484#msg823484 date=1271865189]

[/quote]

I never said it was a great thing for anyone... it's just not as bad as I expected it would be. Not sure where I got the 98.5% # from... so replace 98.5% in my statement with 97%, otherwise, everything else is the same.

"You sure sound like management" just means "we don't agree" and I'll agree with that, but I'm not management, but I'm affected by this just as much as you or anyone else is. Like I said, I've already made sacrifices so I'm affected by it more. All I'm saying is that the plan could have been worse.
[/quote]

I never said that you said it was a great thing. But, by the way that are presenting it, you obviously will accept it.Which, that is absolutely your right.Can't beat around the bush here...lol. Show people where you stand on the matter. I'm a strong no on this and I don't care who knows it and you should do the same. Just my opinion.

haha if I had a choice in the matter (I'm non-contractual), I would be against it... but since I don't... I have to look for the positive side of it or I'll go crazy!

I know what you mean, I think that this is driving us all crazy. As for not to have any say so ,for me, all I can say to that is for someone to call the men in the white coats to come and haul me away...lol