FedEx Freight | Things may get spicy this peak season.

In the late 60's (1960s, not 1860.s), our terminal had a driver sales lead contest.. for each lead submitted on IB or OB shipments moving via competitors the driver got green stamps.
Worked well

Dispatch was asking everyone last night if they would be interested in a ground run bid for peak season. Saturday and Sunday’s would be required. NO thanks. I’m sure if they don’t get volunteers the bottom guys will get placed on a bid.

Dispatch was asking everyone last night if they would be interested in a ground run bid for peak season. Saturday and Sunday’s would be required. NO thanks. I’m sure if they don’t get volunteers the bottom guys will get placed on a bid.
Yep if they want to work. Just the way it goes

Those that decided to stay in the pension are smiling at least.

Wouldn't have benefited me at all. The 401k contribution comes out to a lot more. I think I had 900 in the pension plan when I switched. That 900 today is with 143.27

I might be interested. I didn't mind ground that much. Lots of delay pay and I ran how I wanted.

No way I was switching to something they were pushing…

And this year it’s the HSA.
They can stick that ear deep up their a$$.
The damn Visa card with $800 on it was PITA enough.

"Use it for Copays, RXs, Band-Aid, whatever!.....

.....then, 7mo later we'll send you a letter threatening to turn you over to the IRS if you don't send us a receipt for a co-pay you used the card for."

Would take it in a heartbeat over a shuttle.

No dock time, Delay pay, Usually make the same as a 290+mile run and some of them run as grounds extra board so you don't have to hit the same place every single day.

Oh and if ground cancels you, you get paid 8 hours. (If you can't report in time for Freight extra board due to timing)

And not to mention their equipment is pretty nice compared to ours (handles nicer too). Granted all they maintain is the dollies and trailers but since the mechanics are paid per job they tend to go out in search of ::shit:: wrong and fix it on the spot.

Last edited:
Yea I used to run ground out of another center but it was m-f. I’ll work a Saturday if I have Sunday and Monday off. Definitely not working Sunday’s. If I wanted to work weekends I would of gone to ABF a while ago. But I agree the equipment is well maintained. Some of the ground dollies I used even had air ride and a light on the fifth wheel to check your hooks.

Would take it in a heartbeat over a shuttle.

No dock time, Delay pay, Usually make the same as a 290+mile run and some of them run as grounds extra board so you don't have to hit the same place every single day.

Oh and if ground cancels you, you get paid 8 hours. (If you can't report in time for Freight extra board due to timing)

And not to mention their equipment is pretty nice compared to ours (handles nicer too). Granted all they maintain is the dollies and trailers but since the mechanics are paid per job they tend to go out in search of **** wrong and fix it on the spot.
You sure Freight wouldn’t try to stick you in the hostler or dock?

You sure Freight wouldn’t try to stick you in the hostler or dock?

Ground doesn't have a dock. You jump in the trailer and throw boxes on the belt. I'm positive freight won't have us do that. As for the hostler, they hire people to do that.. We're not even allowed in the building. Our hostler certification means nothing to them. Also, no way to click in. Our badges don't work there.

These are 2 separate companies under the same umbrella. We're just there to drive and collect delay pay.

Ground doesn't have a dock. You jump in the trailer and throw boxes on the belt. I'm positive freight won't have us do that. As for the hostler, they hire people to do that.. We're not even allowed in the building. Our hostler certification means nothing to them. Also, no way to click in. Our badges don't work there.

These are 2 separate companies under the same umbrella. We're just there to drive and collect delay pay.
Does your barn have guys pick up /drop off cans for ground at the railyard? Or is it strictly running ground to ground facilities?

Does your barn have guys pick up /drop off cans for ground at the railyard? Or is it strictly running ground to ground facilities?

We're not doing any ground yet, but I hear it's coming.

In the past, we didn't do rails for them. We did swaps and center to center.

We have double turn runs/triple turns at mine. But that sometimes changes up if they don't have the freight to move in the lanes we've been given.

I understand everything you stated. I was just trying to make it simple and say you get to Ground and no work then you just return to Freight and work dock or switch at freight. I know we are all 3 different companies

I understand everything you stated. I was just trying to make it simple and say you get to Ground and no work then you just return to Freight and work dock or switch at freight. I know we are all 3 different companies

Ahhh gotcha. My mistake. No work on my dock. I don't think I'd be welcomed there. I'd probably just take the mileage and throw in some delay pay. It'd come out to about the same as an 8 hour dock day.