Think about your family

Sorry air, please read the context in which "maroon" is used..
The OP clearly intended to say "moron".
Moot point, but if we're going to get petty, might as well throw my two cents in.
Posts like yours happen because some people just like to hit the "reply" button and start flaming the users they don't agree with. Try to reply to the post, not some straw man you pulled out of thin air.

Moot point, but if we're going to get petty, might as well throw my two cents in.
Posts like yours happen because some people just like to hit the "reply" button and start flaming the users they don't agree with. Try to reply to the post, not some straw man you pulled out of thin air.

Three Stooges. Heard of them?? Nope, not you and 2 friends... LOL....They were a comedy team that did some movies mid 20th century. Great stuff. They often used the word maroon for the word moron. Everybody, including you, new exactly what he meant. We weren't talking about Gilligan being marooned on an uncharted Island. Although Gilligan was a marooned moron....Thats enough rambling. You got the picture..... Later, Bam

Just to be clear regarding my family i thought i had it good
initially:
they did not want teamster pension-
don't know why they wanted out of this
they did not want teamster medical-
I can only speculate, they wanted control over the plan so they could make changes as they see fit, to increase my personal contribution, so what good would the slight increase in wages been?
Sick pay- This one hits me hard
SO EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS!!!
THE ONLY REASON THEY WANTED TO ELIMINATE SICK PAY WAS SO THEY DID NOT HAVE TO PAY IT WHEN YOU TAKE OREGON FAMILY LEAVE FOR THE BIRTH OF A BABY, ADOPTION, OR PLACEMENT OF A FOSTER CHILD. PERIOD.

It pissed me off when they denied it to me so i could be at home after our child was born 8 years ago. THE OREGON LAW SAYS you are entitled to your sick pay benefit when you take family leave!
So if this company cared about me and my family why did they force me to return to work 4 days after major c-section surgery? I had no paid time coming but I was entitled to my sick pay. so as a result I had no choice financially but to return to work while my wife struggled to take care of our children 4 days after surgery. Would that be acceptable to you?
Retirement health care-because of my loyalty to this company I planned on having this benefit in the future.

So if thinking about my family means fighting to keep those benefits that kept me here for so long than so be it.
When all is said and done if we go back union thats the best possible outcome, if they close their doors second best, if they end up non union I will probably not return two reasons i cost them alot of money regarding the paid family leave issue or I could not see me working for a company who treats their employees like dirt.

ALLTHE MORE REASON TO A TEAMSTER

Well, I would say you have formed a strong opinion and have put your foot down and taken your last, best and fianal stance to the street just as the teamsters did. I hope you have read it and understand it. I have. I made my choice and I am very thankful for choices.

Well, I would say you have formed a strong opinion and have put your foot down and taken your last, best and fianal stance to the street just as the teamsters did. I hope you have read it and understand it. I have. I made my choice and I am very thankful for choices.

What you don't seem to understand is that it wasn't ever about choices for YOU. It was all the choices the Vander Pol's now have on what they can and will do with your pay and benefits. It won't happen overnight but if they prevail it won't take long for you to see that it is spiraling downhill.

Then it because simple. As I have always been responsible for everything in my life, I will continue to be. When I no longer feel that I can accept the way I am treated, I will move on. However, I will do it at my discretion and I will make the ultimate decision. No one will make that for me. And if you have made that decision, then move on. To try and destroy jobs that other people do enjoy is simply unacceptable and malicous. But what do you expect from the Teamsters. Somethings have never changed. Real up and up organization aren't they. You all know as well as I do.

Just to be clear regarding my family i thought i had it good
initially:
they did not want teamster pension-
don't know why they wanted out of this
they did not want teamster medical-
I can only speculate, they wanted control over the plan so they could make changes as they see fit, to increase my personal contribution, so what good would the slight increase in wages been?
Sick pay- This one hits me hard
SO EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS!!!
THE ONLY REASON THEY WANTED TO ELIMINATE SICK PAY WAS SO THEY DID NOT HAVE TO PAY IT WHEN YOU TAKE OREGON FAMILY LEAVE FOR THE BIRTH OF A BABY, ADOPTION, OR PLACEMENT OF A FOSTER CHILD. PERIOD.

It pissed me off when they denied it to me so i could be at home after our child was born 8 years ago. THE OREGON LAW SAYS you are entitled to your sick pay benefit when you take family leave!
So if this company cared about me and my family why did they force me to return to work 4 days after major c-section surgery? I had no paid time coming but I was entitled to my sick pay. so as a result I had no choice financially but to return to work while my wife struggled to take care of our children 4 days after surgery. Would that be acceptable to you?
Retirement health care-because of my loyalty to this company I planned on having this benefit in the future.

So if thinking about my family means fighting to keep those benefits that kept me here for so long than so be it.
When all is said and done if we go back union thats the best possible outcome, if they close their doors second best, if they end up non union I will probably not return two reasons i cost them alot of money regarding the paid family leave issue or I could not see me working for a company who treats their employees like dirt.

ALLTHE MORE REASON TO A TEAMSTER

The company wanted out of the pension because of the cliff vesting five year rule. If the funds deposited for union employees that quit prior to five years were returned, or even followed the employee to their next union position, they might have looked at it differently.

The question of health benefits is one of economics as well. If all of the employees of the company were on the company health plan, the company would have greater buying power, which would bring the cost for per employee down.

I can't speak to the sick pay issue. I don't really see both sides too well. Some companies have paid sick leave, some do not. The management of those that do probably spend a lot of time lamenting the fact that it can be misused, and it can be very difficult to police. In most instances, it isn't the weeklong illnesses that create issues for companies, because most require a doctor's note for three days or more. No, it is the day here, day there, always for a three day weekend occurances that make everyone else suffer. As with anything else, you deal with those individuals as individuals, rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I want to understand the issue regarding Oregon law. I know that the FMLA allows a company to have employees burn all of their available paid time off before taking FMLA. Are you saying that Oregon Law requires it? Also, is there a distinction between your own illness vs. that of a family member or the birth of a child relating to taking paid sick time? I would think that you are not eligible to take paid sick time unless you are actually sick. Taking it for the birth of a child would not be covered. I might be wrong there, please correct me if I am.

The retiree health benefits are tricky. Most drivers don't stay in the field until they are 65 and eligible for Medicare. After 20 years plus in the job, many can't continue because of the physical nature of the work. There has to be some bridge until age 65. Again, I see both sides of this, but my thought is that if the company was serious about negotiating, then there should have, at the least, been a clause for grandfathering in those already retired. Perhaps it wouldn't have flown, but it would have been a step to the middle.

I know that most on this board don't believe a word that the company has said in the last two years. This lack of trust, and it cuts both ways, is what will eventually bring this company down, if it happens. Not mismanagement, not the union demands, not the competition, but rather no mutual trust and lousy communication. It is very sad to see.

The company wanted out of the pension because of the cliff vesting five year rule. If the funds deposited for union employees that quit prior to five years were returned, or even followed the employee to their next union position, they might have looked at it differently.
WCWT pension contributions do go with the employee to the next union employer, regardless of vesting status.

The question of health benefits is one of economics as well. If all of the employees of the company were on the company health plan, the company would have greater buying power, which would bring the cost for per employee down.
That's exactly what the Teamster plans do only with more participants, it's strictly a quality of care issue. It is my fear that if the VP's were to control the medical for their employees they would sacrifice care to save money.

I can't speak to the sick pay issue. I don't really see both sides too well. Some companies have paid sick leave, some do not. The management of those that do probably spend a lot of time lamenting the fact that it can be misused, and it can be very difficult to police. In most instances, it isn't the weeklong illnesses that create issues for companies, because most require a doctor's note for three days or more. No, it is the day here, day there, always for a three day weekend occurances that make everyone else suffer. As with anything else, you deal with those individuals as individuals, rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Well you can't really speak to anything well, but the sick pay issue is simple, if a member has access to sick pay, he should be able to use it for any reason at anytime without being treated like a freeloader, its his money negotiated for him in a contract that the company agreed to. Maybe it's a "mental" health day we all need those once in a while. OHFL has been merciless in applying attendance policies, they have shown no respect for their people. FMLA is a blessing for people working for companies like this. Working nights and weekends in poor conditions is the norm, in this industry attendance should be relaxed and fair. I also think they should be paid on the first day out.

I know that most on this board don't believe a word that the company has said in the last two years. This lack of trust, and it cuts both ways, is what will eventually bring this company down, if it happens. Not mismanagement, not the union demands, not the competition, but rather no mutual trust and lousy communication. It is very sad to see.

Union busting will be what brings this company down, and it is too bad for all the good, hard-working Teamsters that did nothing but the best they could so this company would thrive. Greed is a nasty thing.

OK to be clear-pay attention
state said it does not matter what you call it, aka “time loss benefit” if that is the benefit I receive when I am sick, that’s what I am entitled to!
That is why they do not want sick pay PERIOD!!!!!!!!
Bureau of Labor and Industries_839_009
BUREAU OF LABOR AND INDUSTRIES
DIVISION 9
OREGON FAMILY LEAVE ACT
839-009-0200
Purpose and Scope
(1) The Civil Rights Division of the Bureau of Labor and Industries enforces the Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA), ORS 659A.150 to 659A.186, which provides for OFLA leave and prohibits discrimination against employees using OFLA leave. These rules implement and interpret the Oregon Family Leave Act.
839-009-0230
Purposes for Taking OFLA Leave
Eligible employees may take OFLA leave for the purposes commonly referred to as parental leave, serious health condition leave, pregnancy disability leave and sick child leave.
(1) Parental leave is leave taken to care for the employee's newborn, newly adopted or newly placed foster child under 18 years of age or for a newly adopted or newly placed foster child 18 years of age or older who is incapable of self care because of a physical or mental impairment. It includes leave time to effectuate the legal process required for placement of a foster child or the adoption of a child.
839-009-0280
Use of Paid Leave
(1) Except as provided in this rule or the terms of a collective bargaining agreement, an agreement between the eligible employee and the covered employer, or an employer policy, OFLA leave is not required to be granted with pay.
(2) An employee eligible to take OFLA leave is entitled to use accrued paid sick leave, personal leave, vacation leave or any other paid leave that is offered in lieu of vacation leave, during the period of OFLA leave. As used in this rule, accrued paid sick leave does not include disability insurance or disability benefits.

Sorry the link I put on there did not come through all the way
Still kinda new at this

Ohfl tried to give me a letter for my mother-in-law who lives with me when she had a stroke on my living room floor. We were in emergency until about 4am and when I called in they treated me like I was lying.

Then it because simple. As I have always been responsible for everything in my life, I will continue to be. When I no longer feel that I can accept the way I am treated, I will move on. However, I will do it at my discretion and I will make the ultimate decision. No one will make that for me. And if you have made that decision, then move on. To try and destroy jobs that other people do enjoy is simply unacceptable and malicous. But what do you expect from the Teamsters. Somethings have never changed. Real up and up organization aren't they. You all know as well as I do.

day tripper is trippin typicle manager though blame the union for the destruction of jobs corporate greed is at fault here most of us prior to the strike would have been ok working under the same contract but after seeing how much this company is willing to spend to break the union i feel we wouldve been taking a major paycut we are already below industry standards regarding pay but that wasnt enough for the vp bros they wanted more and really who is enjoying the job now spending all day wonderin about the next paycut or round of layoffs truth is all of the remaining employees are working under fear wake up why just move on when you can stand up and fight for a fair shake were tired of just movin on oh and eventually in the ltl market you'll end up running out of places to move on to matt

zbak you are sorry :duh:maybe he meant to say macaroon do you want a cookie :loser:

Ohfl tried to give me a letter for my mother-in-law who lives with me when she had a stroke on my living room floor. We were in emergency until about 4am and when I called in they treated me like I was lying.

They treat people like s. what kind of supposed family company would treat someone like that?

From whitehouse.gov;

Extend Paid Sick Days to All Workers: Half of all private sector workers have no paid sick days and the problem is worse for employees in low-paying jobs, where less than a quarter receive any paid sick days. Barack Obama and Joe Biden will require that employers provide seven paid sick days per year.

Use of Paid Leave
(1) Except as provided in this rule or the terms of a collective bargaining agreement, an agreement between the eligible employee and the covered employer, or an employer policy, OFLA leave is not required to be granted with pay.
(2) An employee eligible to take OFLA leave is entitled to use accrued paid sick leave, personal leave, vacation leave or any other paid leave that is offered in lieu of vacation leave, during the period of OFLA leave. As used in this rule, accrued paid sick leave does not include disability insurance or disability benefits.[/QUOTE]

These two statements seem to contradict each other. In the first, it states that leaves are not required to be granted with pay. In the second, the employee is entitled to use paid leave. Why the difference?

Use of Paid Leave
(2) An employee eligible to take OFLA leave is entitled to use accrued paid sick leave, personal leave, vacation leave or any other paid leave that is offered in lieu of vacation leave, during the period of OFLA leave. As used in this rule, accrued paid sick leave does not include disability insurance or disability benefits

These two statements seem to contradict each other. In the first, it states that leaves are not required to be granted with pay. In the second, the employee is entitled to use paid leave. Why the difference?

The key is you are entitled to use accrued (earned) leave whether it be vacation or sick leave. If your company or contract does not provide sick leave they don't have to pay you anything. The only thing you are entitled to is the time off and any accrued (earned) sick, vacation or personal leave time you have on the books at the time of the leave.

Bureau of Labor and Industries_839_009

I hope the link goes through.
Read it for yourself- just remember that with any long winded explanation of rules governing legal issues they tend to repeat and contradict themselves quite a bit.
Basically you are guaranteed to have the time off without pay by Federal rules but you are entitled to use any accrued paid leave if you choose to according to Oregon rules. When they say not required, they mean that the employer does not have to pay you for the time you do not work. I mean you cannot take 6 weeks off and expect the employer to continue paying your salary as if you were working. You have to have some kind of accrued paid time off!