FedEx Freight | This Company Has So Over Hired...

Thom-8-Toes

TB Lurker
Credits
FXF has so over hired it's beyond ridiculous....we have atleast 2 dozen city drivers and 8 to 10 line drivers too many at this location..every day they are looking for a handful of volunteers to take off on top of the 10 that are out for planned outs and call outs....
I don't know what the thinking was....were the genius' at H.Q.s or on a regional level planning for freight increases because they thought a carrier was going to fold...?
well NEMF did fold.....and we still have 25 and 10 too many.......
Did they hire all these drivers because of government tax credits to get people off public dole...?
I just cant figure it........

FXF has so over hired it's beyond ridiculous....we have atleast 2 dozen city drivers and 8 to 10 line drivers too many at this location..every day they are looking for a handful of volunteers to take off on top of the 10 that are out for planned outs and call outs....
I don't know what the thinking was....were the genius' at H.Q.s or on a regional level planning for freight increases because they thought a carrier was going to fold...?
Did they hire all these drivers because of government tax credits to get people off public dole...?
Personally, and this is pure speculation

But, I think something is about to happen, that caused them to staff up. What, I don't know.
Fx has NEVER, EVER overhired and I don't think they randomly did.

From what I can tell, they're planning to do away with the full-time dock position. At our center full-time dock workers are getting let go for various reasons, most of which wouldn't have been an offense worth termination some time ago. Those full-time dock workers have been replaced by driver apprentices. In the past, part timers would get promoted to full time but it's not happening anymore.

My guess is the only full-time employees they want are drivers and office staff.

Disclaimer:

This is an assumption based on my observations. I didn't get official word from anybody and nobody wearing a purple shirt has said this to me.

From what I can tell, they're planning to do away with the full-time dock position. At our center full-time dock workers are getting let go for various reasons, most of which wouldn't have been an offense worth termination some time ago. Those full-time dock workers have been replaced by driver apprentices. In the past, part timers would get promoted to full time but it's not happening anymore.

My guess is the only full-time employees they want are drivers and office staff.

Disclaimer:

This is an assumption based on my observations. I didn't get official word from anybody and nobody wearing a purple shirt has said this to me.
That's also a good thought, especially when a topped out, full time dock worker only makes about $1.50hr less than a driver. Given their limited abilities, dock workers don't offer much for what they make.

Drivers can always do dock work, but not the reverse.

Also a huge case could be made that either FT dock workers are overpaid (Which I don't believe) or, hourly drivers are underpaid.
For just an extra $1.50hr, FedEx gets a class A Driver with HazMat, Tripples, Tanker, ect.

same at our place. freight for all freight lines has been slow for the past several months. not in every corner of the country though. the biggest reason at our place is because we have to let the early A.M. guy's go home after they work the dock in the morning. these guy's are all on 4 ten hour shifts. if they have to work more than 3 and a half days in a week they throw a fit. our manager folds to their demands and we then have to hire more guy's to makeup for the shortfall. hence we basically have two guy's doing the job of one. company loves it! no overtime what so ever. only problem is that when the A.M. guy's decide to stay for the day,bad weather, holidays over or light peddle run ect. they then have to keep their low seniority guy's at home or just work outbound dock. pissed off younger guy's who can't get 40. simple solution.....make A.M. guy's fulfill their shift.

Personally, and this is pure speculation

But, I think something is about to happen, that caused them to staff up. What, I don't know.
Fx has NEVER, EVER overhired and I don't think they randomly did.
I couldn't agree with that more. At our center we've been talking about the same thing.

Disclaimer:

It’s been said that CLT has more full time dock employees than any other center in the system yet we continue to add more so I’m gonna say your theory may be off just a little.

It’s also a regional problem, while some centers have 30 drivers sitting at home daily other centers are using everyone they have available. Not trying to add insult to injury but CLT is in a good place right now...everyone is working and we can still get a day off when we want/need it.

I think we have at least 15 drivers at POS on unassigned bid (12pm start) working on the dock everyday. Some of them get called in to the city to cover swaps and pick ups or do a road run when need it, but they usually just work on the dock. Few of them told me that they don't plan on staying here for very long. Some of these drivers haven't seen a tractor in months....

My hub is slowly becoming CDL training school... Come here as a driver apprentice to get your CDL, stay for 1 year till the contract is over and then bounce.

That's also a good thought, especially when a topped out, full time dock worker only makes about $1.50hr less than a driver. Given their limited abilities, dock workers don't offer much for what they make.

Drivers can always do dock work, but not the reverse.

Also a huge case could be made that either FT dock workers are overpaid (Which I don't believe) or, hourly drivers are underpaid.
For just an extra $1.50hr, FedEx gets a class A Driver with HazMat, Tripples, Tanker, ect.
I do agree with the cdl part but, an a seasoned dock person can save the company big bucks on claims....

Personally I believe it had to do with the anticipation of two things drivers quitting due too disappointment with the raise and spousal fine and the company predicting freight levels increasing. Its no secret that freight levels dropped with all ltl companies. Our company thought they could suppress wages and stay fully staffed even if they lost some employees. Due too no decent paying driving jobs available right now everyone has dug in and fought for hours including myself. So its easier to layoff pt dock workers without it getting reported in the media. By the way I would rather have my P&D route loaded by pt dock than the am city drivers we have at my center. Just my opinion.

:2437:
Personally I believe it had to do with the anticipation of two things drivers quitting due too disappointment with the raise and spousal fine and the company predicting freight levels increasing. Its no secret that freight levels dropped with all ltl companies. Our company thought they could suppress wages and stay fully staffed even if they lost some employees. Due too no decent paying driving jobs available right now everyone has dug in and fought for hours including myself. So its easier to layoff pt dock workers without it getting reported in the media. By the way I would rather have my P&D route loaded by pt dock than the am city drivers we have at my center. Just my opinion.

Nothing better than getting hit in the ole poop hole by someone who absolutely positively knows better than to stack up and load sideways a stop without a dock, they have been to a hundred plus times.

This is a small sample.........
dyKTVpE.jpg

What does Amazon have to do with FedEx over hiring?

Lots of companies have their own trailers and move their own freight, it's called a supply chain. What's the issue?

What does Amazon have to do with FedEx over hiring?

Lots of companies have their own trailers and move their own freight, it's called a supply chain. What's the issue?
O.K. .... I'm wrong then .....Amazon has nothing to do with it.....and wont ever have anything to do with it.......

O.K. .... I'm wrong then .....Amazon has nothing to do with it.....and wont ever have anything to do with it.......

It's a legitimate question.

As far as I know, there has always been an Amazon. At one point it was Woolworths, then it was Sears and then Wal-Mart.

If you don't have an answer, that's fine but don't make blanket statements with no evidence to support it.

Why would the company lay off anyone?

More expensive to lay off than reduce hours and employees leave themselves.

Perhaps people are not finding similar jobs before quitting since all LTL carriers are slow.
So some folks hang on for the benefits.