FedEx Freight | This Company Has So Over Hired...

This is the cycle I have seen since I started working here, but this time was the worst. I am one trainers at my yard. I asked why we were hiring so much the last 2 years? Was told one of the new higher ups that came from Express said we were not staffed for the future surge in freight levels. That higher up resigned last year. We hired 12 over the last 2 years, no increase in runs, and 5 of them are left, still scratching and clawing for every mile and hour they can get.

It's a legitimate question.

As far as I know, there has always been an Amazon. At one point it was Woolworths, then it was Sears and then Wal-Mart.

If you don't have an answer, that's fine but don't make blanket statements with no evidence to support it.
Yes your question is a legitimate question.....but this is all opinions....I'm not going toe to toe with you over opinion.....

But Amazon is about supply chain....albeit not about supply chain of 55 gal drums of chemical....or skids of k.d.boxes.....etc......

but people buying everything from Amazon....socks ...toasters...light bulbs..and a million other things surely does effect supply chain....and ltl common carriers....

Bezos' rate is equivalent to $149,353 a minute.....

That's also a good thought, especially when a topped out, full time dock worker only makes about $1.50hr less than a driver. Given their limited abilities, dock workers don't offer much for what they make.

Drivers can always do dock work, but not the reverse.

Also a huge case could be made that either FT dock workers are overpaid (Which I don't believe) or, hourly drivers are underpaid.
For just an extra $1.50hr, FedEx gets a class A Driver with HazMat, Tripples, Tanker, ect.

This has also crossed my mind, but I don't think they'll ever do away with the full time dock position across the board. I know some EOL centers don't have them because they never really string together eight hours of continuous work on the dock, but it's a necessity at the larger hubs.

Which reminds me: five or six years ago I heard from a manager that the plan was to reduce dependence on part time dock workers at larger centers because we were basically losing money on too many of them. This was due to high turnover from workers with no prior experience. Obviously everyone has to start somewhere, but if you get too much of it all the time there gets to be a lot of wasted training hours, chem spills every day, misloads, crushed freight, etc. For a while on the outbound shift my center had about 30 college aged part timers and five or six full timers. BPH was through the roof but so were damages. Not worth it. Now we have more FTs than PTs and we go days at a time without any LTCs even though we move 1000+ bills per day on that shift.

I also agree that a solid full time dock employee who knows the freight and doesn't have the worry about pulling doubles is more likely to get positive results. That being said, when I worked overnights the drivers from our nearby EOL centers were among the best on the dock, even though they probably hated being out there. Some drivers with longer runs who didn't work the dock would also check the load quality of their trailers because they didn't want to risk losing valuable accounts. In a remote area with few businesses that can affect a lot of people. I always respected that.

My final thought on this is that until they require all full time dock workers to get hostler certified I wouldn't even have the CDL requirement on my radar.

Yes your question is a legitimate question.....but this is all opinions....I'm not going toe to toe with you over opinion.....

But Amazon is about supply chain....albeit not about supply chain of 55 gal drums of chemical....or skids of k.d.boxes.....etc......

but people buying everything from Amazon....socks ...toasters...light bulbs..and a million other things surely does effect supply chain....and ltl common carriers....

Bezos' rate is equivalent to $149,353 a minute.....

What does Bezos' worth have to do with anything?

Yes, people buy lots of stuff from Amazon but FedEx never had anything to do with that, and LTL much less. How much freight have you seen move across the dock or delivered that came from Amazon?

The issues FedEx are having are because of FedEx. Saying we over hired or freight levels are low because of another company is weak.

Amazon buying some trailers or getting some independent contractors to move their freight has nothing to do with us.

What does Bezos' worth have to do with anything?

Yes, people buy lots of stuff from Amazon but FedEx never had anything to do with that, and LTL much less. How much freight have you seen move across the dock or delivered that came from Amazon?

The issues FedEx are having are because of FedEx. Saying we over hired or freight levels are low because of another company is weak.

Amazon buying some trailers or getting some independent contractors to move their freight has nothing to do with us.
That’s not just their freight in those trailers. Amazon is looking to take over the long haul brokering business.

That’s not just their freight in those trailers. Amazon is looking to take over the long haul brokering business.

I'm aware of that, but that also doesn't affect us.

I don't think they'll be successful with that either, at least not at the rates they've promoted. Those o/o will be working to break even, if they're lucky. Something will have to give. Amazon will either up their rates putting them line with everybody else or they'll back out of it completely.

...and if were lucky we'll be gobbled up by C H.Robinson....
That’ll be the day that I resign. I can’t stand picking up their trash on an occasional basis. They are bottom feeding parasites that broker the garbage no one else wants to pickup. I won’t work for them. I’ll flip burgers first.

who's freight would it be? and who's business are they delivering it to? Do you have any link in regards to the idea that they are looking to take over long haul brokering business?

FXF has so over hired it's beyond ridiculous....we have atleast 2 dozen city drivers and 8 to 10 line drivers too many at this location..every day they are looking for a handful of volunteers to take off on top of the 10 that are out for planned outs and call outs....
I don't know what the thinking was....were the genius' at H.Q.s or on a regional level planning for freight increases because they thought a carrier was going to fold...?
well NEMF did fold.....and we still have 25 and 10 too many.......
Did they hire all these drivers because of government tax credits to get people off public dole...?
I just cant figure it........
Seems like we were sounding the alarm last year hopefully Fedex will furlough the golfers and race car driver also. It’s sad that the covid 19 virus will affect many lives well into the future but Fedex cannot blame everything on the virus. Stock prices were already dropping morale was down at least at my center and freight 2020 seams to be a failure at this point. I personally believe the freight levels will come back but not enough to support the staffing levels of 2019.