This is Just Unbelievable...Well Maybe Not

Who Cares

TB Lurker
Credits
Some background first. Oregon and Washington had what is being called the worst wind storm in ten years come through Thursday night. There is still areas without power.

Portland had a line driver that was written up for no show because he had to get a tree off his house and get the house some what secure against the weather.

Let's see if I have this right. He works 13 hour run, returns home to find this fine mess, works all day to get it taken care of and Brad, our operation manager pulls this crap. Then threatens him with more write ups if he needs to take more time for this. What was he suppose to do? Come to work exhausted and drive? Call a tree service, roofers and a carpenter to repair the damage while he goes to bed? Ever tried to get either of these after a major storm?

Maybe Truckenjo (who I suspect is our TM) will take care of this Or maybe the owners who tell us all about "family values." But somehow I doubt either will.

And the company wonders why they have disgruntled employees who want and need a Union.

When your faced with this kind of serious problem all you can think about is getting it fixed to protect your home and contents, and the last thing to be thought about is work.

I am just trying to be a devils advocate here and not blame the man in any way but wouldnt a call to work telling the problem have saved to grief later??
That way they could have lined up another man for the shift.............

just a thought.

I am just trying to be a devils advocate here and not blame the man in any way but wouldnt a call to work telling the problem have saved to grief later??
That way they could have lined up another man for the shift.............

just a thought.

I had a bad choice of words. He did call in. My guess is an unexcused absence.

You would think that the company could find a little compassion for a hardship like that, but than again I drive for UPS, so it should come as no surprise to me that a company wouldnt put their employees emergencies first!:duh:

I think if one is expected to adhere to such severe attendance policies, they should probably expect to get paid more. If you are forced to put your work before your family and home, as a condition of employment, I would expect to get paid considerably more than someone who works for a company that is willing to work with their employees in times of crisis.

That’s cold... like Wal Mart cold. Speaking of Wal-Mart what kind of gift cards did they give you guys this year?

I think if one is expected to adhere to such severe attendance policies, they should probably expect to get paid more. If you are forced to put your work before your family and home, as a condition of employment, I would expect to get paid considerably more than someone who works for a company that is willing to work with their employees in times of crisis.
The sad thing is that their attendance policy changes on a whim or who it is that they are whipping, or the weather, or if the boss had a fight with the wife...You get the idea.

That’s cold... like Wal Mart cold. Speaking of Wal-Mart what kind of gift cards did they give you guys this year?
It isn't official yet but I hear it if from GAP.

I asked the payroll clerk today at the Portland Terminal about occurances for last week during the storm.

She told me that they already made a decision earlier this week to excuse anyone that was tardy or absent late last week following Thursday nights storm.

I asked her specifically if there had been a line driver that called in saying that a tree had fallen on his house. She said yes and that it was Friday night. I asked her if that person got an occurance. She said no and again repeated that no one got an occurance for either being late or absent on Friday. She went on to say that there were other issues with a few other employees as well.

I would suggest anyone that does not believe this to inquire themselves.

As far as the gift cards go. I think that anyone that does not appreciate a free gift card should just give it back.

Thanks F&B. It's nice to see someone actually find out the FACTS, and not just shoot off their mouth about something they heard in the breakroom. I assume that is what this was, I cannot imagine anyone intentionally trying to make the company look bad.:mfight:

Is this true? RRR can you confirm this? I am glad to hear they did the right thing, but I doubt it is out of compassion for employees, more like pre-contract anxiety. When those Portland guys voted it down with such overwhelming #'s last time you can bet they don't want to offend the 1 guy that did vote for it. Kind of funny these guys both post in the same hour both joined TB in APR 06 and have about the same amount of posts. You all know that senior members have full administration rights on this site, and can see you IP address, in turn can pinpoint your login location. Just thought you should know, in case you think you are fooling anyone.

OHFL is all about numbers,numbers,and more numbers
and that's all it will be.They front by throwing
parties and giving out gift cards but never seem to rectify any problems?I usually shove my gift card into truck mail and maybe some lucky stiff will find it.They say they listen but nothing ever changes.It's like a poorly greased square wheel.OK I guess I should quit and find other work then because i'm the only one who feels this way.

You are abusolutly right, freightpunk its all talk and no action. They don't want to better your life, or improve your retirement, they want to pay you as little as possible and generate the maximum profit so they can carry all their incompetent church buddie's, and family members as managers.
I hear they opened another Terminal, I thought the VP said something about no more new terminals during the last round of contract talks? Your contract is short this time around, aim high and walk out on these guys if you have too. Start saving now!

I am suprised at the responses I am seeing. I thought you would all be excited to hear what I found out.

So if you do not have something negative to say, do not say anything at all?

Is this true? RRR can you confirm this?

I asked the driver and he said no one has told him otherwise. I am sure that management just hasn't "got around to" telling him yet. :biglaugh: But my question is why was he given the occurrence in the first place?

Fair&Balanced; said:
I asked her specifically if there had been a line driver that called in saying that a tree had fallen on his house. She said yes and that it was Friday night. I asked her if that person got an occurrence. She said no and again repeated that no one got an occurrence for either being late or absent on Friday

Seems to me that she is opening her mouth giving information when she shouldn't be. But then again I don't kiss up to the office people.

Fair&Balanced; said:
She went on to say that there were other issues with a few other employees as well.

I am sure there is and are deserved.

Fair&Balanced; said:
As far as the gift cards go. I think that anyone that does not appreciate a free gift card should just give it back.
Agreed

Dipstick; said:
...and not just shoot off their mouth about something they heard in the breakroom. I assume that is what this was...

I DID hear it in the breakroom, from the Driver. Seems as though you assumed wrong.

RedRollingRock,

Keep spinning it if you like. It does not change the fact that you got this one wrong.

Fact:

The driver "never got an occurance in the first place".

The supervisor who is alleged in telling him he would was in the wrong.

Fair&Balanced