Yellow | This is the problem

TheNewGuy

TB Lurker
Credits
First let me start off by saying that this is the best company that I’ve ever worked for. I came from a warehouse, worked the dock, got my cdls…and I’m now reaping the benefits! We got it so good, but let the old farts tell it, it’s the worst job/company to work for.

I realize y’all got ****ed over with the pay cut, and the whole mess with the pension(that I still don’t fully understand). But damn, you coulda been out of a job, or went somewhere else and started over.

The morale of the company is trash. For the most part, it’s black against white, young vs old, and Walmart vest wearers against all of us. I’m proud to say imma 3rd generation teamster, that ::shit:: means something to me. I’m black, so going by seniority, and bylaws keeps me from getting ****ed by nepotism and ball rubbers.

But I say all of that to say, some of us really like the company. Quit bad mouthing and doing the corny jokes, “ohh he’s going 15 mph less” “blah blah blah mirrors”. Just retire and free up the board if you’re not happy. Oh you can’t, because you just bought that brand new GMC Denali! Man, the money is good right? It could be better but I guarantee no one is missing a meal!

Ok rant over, but stfu, and start giving the youngins knowledge. We are you, 30 years ago, just cooler and better looking.

First let me start off by saying that this is the best company that I’ve ever worked for. I came from a warehouse, worked the dock, got my cdls…and I’m now reaping the benefits! We got it so good, but let the old farts tell it, it’s the worst job/company to work for.

I realize y’all got ****ed over with the pay cut, and the whole mess with the pension(that I still don’t fully understand). But damn, you coulda been out of a job, or went somewhere else and started over.

The morale of the company is trash. For the most part, it’s black against white, young vs old, and Walmart vest wearers against all of us. I’m proud to say imma 3rd generation teamster, that **** means something to me. I’m black, so going by seniority, and bylaws keeps me from getting ****ed by nepotism and ball rubbers.

But I say all of that to say, some of us really like the company. Quit bad mouthing and doing the corny jokes, “ohh he’s going 15 mph less” “blah blah blah mirrors”. Just retire and free up the board if you’re not happy. Oh you can’t, because you just bought that brand new GMC Denali! Man, the money is good right? It could be better but I guarantee no one is missing a meal!

Ok rant over, but stfu, and start giving the youngins knowledge. We are you, 30 years ago, just cooler and better looking.
Yep. Sounds like another MESTER Teamster! I’ll bet your proud to be a DUMBOCRAT too! If you want to learn something then shut your trap and listen! Watch instead of talking! And your in a union now so give up on your ⓇⒶⒸⒾⓈⓉ crap too!

The jokes I am capable of telling are not the kind that can be shared with some of the younger drivers. they are too easily prone to ranting when offended.

I remember when I was just a pup and knew nothing. I also remember when those who know nothing are now running round with flip flops unable to back into spaces made for them without breaking stuff.

I also knew when to get the hell out of this overregulated industry. Just like my uncles did when deregulation came along to cut their wages quite a bit and introduced new problems.

I dont mind younger people too much. Its good that they are younger like we are all once at least in our lifetime. Its the experience that brings out the treachery that can be quite useful. Paid for in blood, sweat and tears. Sometimes in a few burials along the way.

The morale of the company is trash. For the most part, it’s black against white, young vs old, and Walmart vest wearers against all of us. I’m proud to say imma 3rd generation teamster, that **** means something to me. I’m black, so going by seniority, and bylaws keeps me from getting ****ed by nepotism and ball rubbers.

Ok rant over, but stfu, and start giving the youngins knowledge. We are you, 30 years ago, just cooler and better looking.Wow you said a mouthful there dude.
Let’s start off with the old farts, or how ever you refer to us, we worked the long hours and cold docks and fought the cold and bad road conditions and took care of the customers and got the job done, no cell phones, no GPS, paper maps, trucks with no A/C and most no power steering, no cruise and no trailers with lift gates.
Seniority meant everything, no matter what color or gender, you worked for it and excersised it.
We watch a great company ran it to the ground by poor decisions and lack of leadership. Some if us even walked picket lines to fight for what we got. We watched a company get greedy and buy other companies, with end result being large debt and little hope for employees to get back what they sacrificed to keep company alive, several were told leave if you don’t like it by management, with management job.

Yep. Sounds like another MESTER Teamster! I’ll bet your proud to be a DUMBOCRAT too! If you want to learn something then shut your trap and listen! Watch instead of talking! And your in a union now so give up on your ⓇⒶⒸⒾⓈⓉ crap too!
Not a MESTER at all, you missed my whole point. I was really just trying to say that the seniors should set a better example sometimes. Because we follow your lead.

And I get paid good money to lose those mirrors, and drive 46mph.
What does race have to do with anything?
Or age or vest wearing?
Race shouldn't play a role in the workplace, but its a cold truth that it does! Maybe you haven't experienced blatant racism, but I sure have. I say all of that to say thats one of the benefits of joining a union, no biases, no bullshit.

Age= Wisdom amd a lack of patience lol

The Vests= supervisors

The jokes I am capable of telling are not the kind that can be shared with some of the younger drivers. they are too easily prone to ranting when offended.

I remember when I was just a pup and knew nothing. I also remember when those who know nothing are now running round with flip flops unable to back into spaces made for them without breaking stuff.

I also knew when to get the hell out of this overregulated industry. Just like my uncles did when deregulation came along to cut their wages quite a bit and introduced new problems.

I dont mind younger people too much. Its good that they are younger like we are all once at least in our lifetime. Its the experience that brings out the treachery that can be quite useful. Paid for in blood, sweat and tears. Sometimes in a few burials along the way.
Wow, I hear that LOUD and CLEAR! I always take the advice of those who have more experience than me, I definitely want to go home the same way that I left. BUT, just for ***** n giggles, I want to point out the flip flops lol. See? That's the whole vibe that the seniors give off, lol, it's cool and it's funny, but Im going to be honest. I'm only wearing boots if its snowing or raining, why not wear comfortable tennis shoes? Technology has changed, shoes have air bubbles, aerodynamics, etc lol

But you defintely made a good point, about listening and not knowing it ALL, but dammit I know something lmao.

Let’s start off with the old farts, or how ever you refer to us, we worked the long hours and cold docks and fought the cold and bad road conditions and took care of the customers and got the job done, no cell phones, no GPS, paper maps, trucks with no A/C and most no power steering, no cruise and no trailers with lift gates.
Seniority meant everything, no matter what color or gender, you worked for it and excersised it.
We watch a great company ran it to the ground by poor decisions and lack of leadership. Some if us even walked picket lines to fight for what we got. We watched a company get greedy and buy other companies, with end result being large debt and little hope for employees to get back what they sacrificed to keep company alive, several were told leave if you don’t like it by management, with management job.
Hey, it's nothing but respect for those who paved the way for us. But I mean damn look at it like this. Business was BOOMING, cash was flowing so they invested in other companies trying to corner the market. Nobody seen the recession coming, but it did and some people lost a helluva lot more!

New Guy you need a 15% bigger Fun size Snickers bar !!
d0c2aaf6dadac2148be7857e15fb2fcb.jpg
p.s. Us so called old guys have gave back more money & work rules & pension money than you'll ever earn !

Hey, it's nothing but respect for those who paved the way for us. But I mean damn look at it like this. Business was BOOMING, cash was flowing so they invested in other companies trying to corner the market. Nobody seen the recession coming, but it did and some people lost a helluva lot more!
YRC bought Holland, who at the time was king in next day freight, good OR, low damage and excellent service. Shortly after that YRC decided to try its hand in next day freight as Yellow separate from Holland. Why would you buy a company that is king in the market, then try and do the same thing and compete against yourself? Just one of many examples of wasted money and resources.

A word of advice from a retiree to a young man. Enjoy your time working, guys you think you don't like, give them a chance. Too soon it's over and you'll be wishing you could go back and do it over again. Work is a big part of life, make it as pleasurable as possible.

YRC bought Holland, who at the time was king in next day freight, good OR, low damage and excellent service. Shortly after that YRC decided to try its hand in next day freight as Yellow separate from Holland. Why would you buy a company that is king in the market, then try and do the same thing and compete against yourself? Just one of many examples of wasted money and resources.
Same thing in the northeast with New Penn....I worked for Roadway I would be at a stop and there would be a Yellow truck and a New Penn there....

Wow, the company is good but your brothers and sisters leave something to be desired ? I understand. I've long maintained that the best thing about my job was my coworkers, and the second worst thing about my job was my coworkers. You are absolutely right about old timers not talking to youth, but at least we have youth telling old timers how to do it. Pay close attention when you go to a foreign terminal, in the future you may have an opportunity to move to a better barn where people are more hospitable. If you have the chance to sit down and break bread with a brother take it. Not very many old timers stop anymore and even fewer new hands. The conversation is usually a lot different than what you get around the terminal. Be safe and prosper.

A word of advice from a retiree to a young man. Enjoy your time working, guys you think you don't like, give them a chance. Too soon it's over and you'll be wishing you could go back and do it over again. Work is a big part of life, make it as pleasurable as possible.
But were you wearing flip flops, air bubble tennis shoes, or those aerodynamic foot wear, since technology has changed, and you retired?

I’m Latino. I didn’t know the whites and blacks were beefing lolol. Have fun.