This is why I can't have a Cadillac DeVille

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
For sometime, now I have wanted to buy a Cadillac DeVille.
Well, because of my job I can't have one. I want either a white or a black one like this:

However today not far from where I live one of the companies trucks broke down and the driver was stalled out at a gas station for 2 hours almost more on Friday afternoon. So my self and another driver, who lives near by to where the truck broke down, both went out there and took a couple of stops off this poor guys plate. I felt, really bad for him, when you break down it's just awful. Where I work it's pretty much get it done, even if it's 10:00pm at night and the places are all closed. Any how, I ran and helped this guy 2 stops doesn't sound like a lot, but every delivery counts and it does help.

See I take my two wheeler home with me, so A I always know where it, is and also in case something like this happens. I also carry my ramps with me in the bed of my pick up truck, so say a company truck breaks down and I can help like today. I run out there and load the product into the back of my pick up truck, with the ramps it is possible for me to wheel kegs in and out of the back of my truck without any trouble. However, because of the fact that things like this are a possibility and I like to be useful, I have to equip my self with the tools to do my job, especially with this kind of thing. The driver I was helping was like , "You carry loading ramps?" I said "Oh yeah, I like to be prepared." I'm better prepared then management probably ever thought I was especially for stuff like this.

However because situations like this can arise from time to time, I have to have a truck or cargo van. Like when I decide it's time to go over to food, I should probably get like a Ford E-250 Extended Cargo Van, now see where I work things are taken care of very haphazardly, Sysco, GFS, US, Curtze they probably go about things in a much more regimented manor. However say a truck breaks down and the driver has a two or three pallet stop. Well I know if we work really hard, we could cram 3 pallets into a Extended Cargo Van it would fill it to the brim, but it probably could be done. Where there's a will there's a way.

Actually if I had a food service company or beverage distribution business I would have what's called the auxiliary break down truck. It would be a 16 foot box truck and I would equip it with a lift gate, and a power pallet jack as well as a power stand behind fork lift truck.

That way say a truck breaks down, we can use the lift gate to lower the power fork lift and take a couple skids off of the broken truck and get some deliveries done. While the broken truck is sitting dead in the water.

Honestly, I think that anyone who carries ramps around "just in case" wouldn't be too happy with a Cadillac long term. You're a pickup truck guy, if you feel like you need to spend money you can't go wrong with bigger, louder, taller.

Isn't that taking a terribly large liability risk using your personal vehicle for company business? Are you on the clock?

Please tell me that beer in your pickup was for personal use.

Well I am all for helping out one of my buddies make a delivery, but I couldn't help it that one case fell off the truck! Into my fridge.

Ahh to be young again.

On the food side, at least at GFS, they bring you another truck pretty quick, even if they have to rent one. We also have take-along vans with refer units on them. You can fit about 100 cases on them.

Guardrail

Isn't that taking a terribly large liability risk using your personal vehicle for company business? Are you on the clock?

Please tell me that beer in your pickup was for personal use.

Double R said I can take a case of Great Lakes to him. I didn't have to go very far and only had 2 small stops. Someone else was also out there helping this poor fellow same as I was. The guy who broke down said "Thanks I owe you one, if you ever get in a situation like this, I'll be there for you." Actually that's what the company wanted me to do. Go and take something off this guys plate on the clock.

Ahh to be young again.

On the food side, at least at GFS, they bring you another truck pretty quick, even if they have to rent one. We also have take-along vans with refer units on them. You can fit about 100 cases on them.

Guardrail

I've seen cargo vans for GFS running around, with the refer units on the roof. Sysco Cleveland has a couple of those guys to and this smaller little Freightliner M2 12foot box truck that I see running around all the time. We have a couple of cargo vans where I work, but my company has stopped doing hot shots completely. It's pretty much if your out of something you don't get it until your next delivery. Unless it's a real big customer like a grocery store, then they load there order into the 26foot box truck and bring it to them that way. 100 cases isn't too, too bad that's about a stop. I know Budweiser around here has some cargo vans that run auxiliary. Where I work when it's real heavy and we have over flow they usually rent a couple 28 foot box trucks from Pensky. Our trucks are all leased from Pensky and AIM so the company has to wait for those companies to tow out a good unit and pull the bad unit away.