Averitt | This weeks SNOW and ICE Event In The South

jeepman

Truckload Mercenary
Credits
As usual anything that happens in Atlanta screws up the whole system.
BIG TIME KUDO'S to the LEADERSHIP at BHM for not having their heads buried in the sand, and getting the word out of the weather and highway issues there, and getting the message out to avoid the area:clapping:
Of course what the LEADERSHIP at Ful and NOR were doing is only any ones guess:coffee1:
Many of us pulled up at TIF, to see what was going on, and to get guidance of CKV. Sleeper shuttle was held up at TIF, nothing going north, west, east, only south...of course with no LTL coming in everyone just camped out.
THANK YOU GS for spending the money to UP GRADE the TIF serctr, the new parking lot and drivers break room did the trick for this event. I pulled out Wednesday morning to go to Opelika with a WalMart sugar load, took 5 hrs to go 159 miles. got there the place was closed, (drop&hook), Got things swapped out and then went to OPK serctr (CLOSED) to campout.
From what I understand...there were fleet managers that were supposedly unaware of the closed highways and cities due to the storm....DUH?
Of course the SAME issue as before...AVRT will close LTL P&D and cancel all shuttle runs, in and out of the affected areas, but NOTHING is said to TRUCKLOAD or DEDICATED drivers, just goes to show where we stand.

Jeepman I'm not sure what you expected? Was it that you wanted AE to make a command decision and halt all traffic? I'm not being critical but not sure what your point is. I imagine the decision making started with local svs ctr management telling ckv what their intentions are with LTL/city operations, Cookeville didnt make those decisions. Anywhere north of ATL and this would not have happened, unless the state or local authorities close down the roads most service centers will operate with the guys that can make it to work.

The fleet mgrs not knowing road conditions doesnt surprise me but personally when I was in t/l I wouldnt want them micro managing and telling me if I can or can not make it somewhere, I like being the "captain of the ship", but keep in mind the load planners will usually know more than the flt mgrs because they are directly dealing with those customers in the affected areas. Expect minimum info and help from a fleet mgr and you will be better off. He's dealing with guys in every state, guys that are late, having accidents, troubles with customers, breakdowns, guys with emergencies at home, guys with personal issues affecting their jobs so the road conditions may not have been at the top of their list of priorities.

What happens in city, supply chain, ltl, and t/l will always differ because each decision is made by different management on different levels but you wont hear of supply chain or t/l being stopped unless there is a state of emergency halting all traffic in the area. This was a fluke of nature, most every svs ctr had drivers affected due to the lack of freight movement, many service ctrs operated with minimum manpower leaving shuttle and city drivers at home for 2 days.

I agree RNSGN, the LTL side doesn't have choice to work
when they feel it is unsafe, it is made for us. TL driver's on the other hand must make their own decisions on what is safe or not, and to decide what area to avoid. Our safety department will stand behind us and for us if we park it because of road conditions.

Just guidance that's all, if CKV decides it's unsafe for LTL to operate in a certain area due to road conditions, it should be the same for everyone. That's All..... nothing more or less. Micro Managing would not have been a issue in this case. I made the decision to press on, after considering all the factors, if I would have wrecked I'm sure CKV would have backed me up.

I agree RNSGN, the LTL side doesn't have choice to work
when they feel it is unsafe, it is made for us. TL driver's on the other hand must make their own decisions on what is safe or not, and to decide what area to avoid. Our safety department will stand behind us and for us if we park it because of road conditions.

I chose to stay home and I made the choice even though our beloved clueless leaders said we were running. I make the choice when it comes to weather, not Averitt. If you go out because the tards say "business as usual" and you have an accident, they WILL NOT stand behind you, period.

I made the decision to press on, after considering all the factors, if I would have wrecked I'm sure CKV would have backed me up.
I hope you are right, when it comes to points the accident panel often lacks consistency in both directions, some get off lighter than expected, while others get it a little harder than expected.

Accident Panel......Who EXACTLY is on this Accident Panel....a inquiring mind would love to know?

Don't get me started on this accident review panel. Zero damage to any equipment or object cost me 4 points from this dog and pony show aka accident review board. I protested and still got screwed with points. This would be akin to losing points for getting a rock ding in the windshield. But, then again, I would expect no less from a bunch of untrained accident investigators with ZERO leniency.

Sorry CM...though I have had the opportunity many times to be a part of this group I have respectfully declined.

jeep, it's made up of mostly city drivers with negligible experience. Most of the larger terminals have them and they review accident from areas other than their own....ie, Dallas would review accidents in GBO and FUL would review accidents from SAT. I just think that when they hold their super secret meetings that it is not a very "serious" discussion...more like let's hurry up and get through this because I have 15 stops on my trailer today. That's about it in a nutshell.

article-2556725-1B5BA5F300000578-742_634x479.jpg

Look at the very bottom of this photo of several weeks ago in Atlanta. Raise your hand if this was you.

That's not my day cab.but I was out in that mess. I left bhm at 10:00 that morning and arrived in nor at 7:30 that evening. I was very lucky to make it back in at all. I'm getting cabin fever waiting on this crazy snowstorm to end. They closed us down today and tomorrow at nor. Back on the road Friday ,hopefully.

I picked up a beer load for Tn Monday, got way laid by a trl tire blow out. Then had to hustle to get around Atlanta before the weather set in, rain from the 109 on I75 to the 281 north of Atlanta, then ICE onwards. Everybody SLOWED down, cars and trucks were sliding all over, at the 315 some MORON Avrt T/L in a Cascadia came blowing on by like the roads were dry. I stopped at the 326 to take a power nap at 0545, this is what I woke up to...Conway was having a bad day 3 trucks either off to the side or jack knifed, UPS jack knifed or stuck on a hill, along with many others. Took me 4.5 hrs from Dalton GA to LaVergne TN:
16ljw1v.jpg
2zs47rq.jpg

2yvw49e.jpg

2rhrbl1.jpg

Thurday Morning In CHA and around Atlanta

I received a load Tues to pick up in Murray Ky and Deliver at 0600 Thursday in Buford Ga. I sent them a message asking if they had ANY idea what was happening and is going to happen in the Atlanta area.....No Respnse..I told them that I'd pickup the load and stop at CHA to check things out before even thinking of going farther. CHA closed up Wednesday, got in that afternoon about 1700, trucks were starting to pull in, it was starting to sleet. At least they kept the breakroom open...some heat would have been NICE...Everyone was watching the WEATHER CHANNEL. This what we woke up to Thursday morning 6" of snow, on top of ice. Pulled out at 0930.
hskk6d.jpg

mtmdfk.jpg

2a94fo1.jpg

2ry5ama.jpg

I75 SB,I285 and I985 Thursday...The Adventure continues

Check out the Fine work of the GA DOT
8vwvi1.jpg

rm5w8l.jpg

29krt3b.jpg

w7ctqp.jpg

This was all going to refreeze Thursday Nite and Friday morning

They did a good job for a state that don't have to deal with that very often, I think the state of OK and our turnpike authority need to come to GA for a lesson in clearing roads, they try but soon as it over whelms them they just throw their hands up and call it a night.