FedEx Freight | Thoughts On A City Driver Advisor Like The Road Advisor

If you think we're not skilled, try hiring someone qualified AND able.

All skilled tasks "seem" easy, when you know how. That is why most companies are training drivers. So they will be skilled.
The problem is most companies have hire un-skilled drivers and they are just steering wheel holders. Even after their training.

Still against 75K + goof that drove straight
truck and knew nothing being in charge because
the rest of were smarter than thy liked , giggle...

The problem is most companies have hire un-skilled drivers and they are just steering wheel holders. Even after their training.
Yeah, but I wasn't talking about the old school, Swift, Maverick, Schneider, school grad style training. I'm talking about the completely unlicensed, true beginner training being offered by a lot of (LTL) Companies, including FXFE.

I do wonder: How significant are the Gov. incentives likely to be driving the offerings (in part)? There are likely multiple benefits to doing so.

Yeah, but I wasn't talking about the old school, Swift, Maverick, Schneider, school grad style training. I'm talking about the completely unlicensed, true beginner training being offered by a lot of (LTL) Companies, including FXFE.

I do wonder: How significant are the Gov. incentives likely to be driving the offerings (in part)? There are likely multiple benefits to doing so.
I like the program at FXF. I do think it is lacking is some places.

You’re just now getting butt hurt over something I wrote 2 1/2 months ago? Most everyone else has healed up. A little advice for you, it’s not the ache that’s so bad as much as it’s the lingering itch that’s going to make your fingernails smell bad for a while.

Tell you what, Susan. Today is end of month and a Friday. Ask your SCM if you can do a city route today, especially if you live on a metro area, then come back and tell us how hard that road run is.
I gave you a like cuz apparently you need a pat on the back. Good job picking up all that freight. It took so long to reply because I hadn't been on this dead/desolate forum for awhile. I will say I never understood the chip that some city drivers carried on their shoulders to road drivers. I always thought it was the money thing. Maybe it is that along with the my job is so much harder complex. Well man if you want to do less for more I am pretty sure change is allowed. Come on over to the dark side.

If you think we're not skilled, try hiring someone qualified AND able.

All skilled tasks "seem" easy, when you know how. That is why most companies are training drivers. So they will be skilled.
If you have been in the trucking industry more than a day you know that there are way too many dumbasses in it to consider any part of it skilled labor...lol

If you have been in the trucking industry more than a day you know that there are way too many dumbasses in it to consider any part of it skilled labor...lol

Yes lots of dumbasses that aren't qualified to drive, sometimes I think they sale cdl's at truck stops.

We'll, if you were to spend more than a few minutes watching people who DON'T have the SKILLS, struggle with the task of backing, you could not say that with a straight face.

Everyone can NOT do it. That is why it's called a skill.

We'll, if you were to spend more than a few minutes watching people who DON'T have the SKILLS, struggle with the task of backing, you could not say that with a straight face.

Everyone can NOT do it. That is why it's called a skill.
Big difference between a skill and "skilled labor" I literally laugh when I hear the arguement of truck driving should be classified as a skilled labor trade on podcasts and radio shows.

I recently got accepted to the driver apprentice program. In what areas is it lacking? I'm not sure what to expect. I'm currently in the queue working the dock.
I went through the DDC, the program is pretty thorough and comprehensive, at least at my center. If I could add anything to the curriculum I would add a day of night driving on streets as well as drive time on streets with a 53 for a day at least.

I recently got accepted to the driver apprentice program. In what areas is it lacking? I'm not sure what to expect. I'm currently in the queue working the dock.
I wish they would put the road coach program back in place. Lots of time being on the bottom of the city board at a center you will have to run road runs. Now with the city having different handhelds it would help.

I wish they would put the road coach program back in place. Lots of time being on the bottom of the city board at a center you will have to run road runs. Now with the city having different handhelds it would help.
New DDC grads that are going to city do a week of road with a driver at my center. They stopped doing this for a while but recently started pairing up new city guys up again with road drivers. If my center didn't do this already I would ask the SCM if i could go with a road driver for a week.