FedEx Freight | Thoughts On A City Driver Advisor Like The Road Advisor

I went through the DDC, the program is pretty thorough and comprehensive, at least at my center. If I could add anything to the curriculum I would add a day of night driving on streets as well as drive time on streets with a 53 for a day at least.
It's my understanding that you SHOULD have gotten some street time with a 53', regardless of city or road. Really kind of important, as it is a completely different animal, requiring different methods.

New DDC grads that are going to city do a week of road with a driver at my center. They stopped doing this for a while but recently started pairing up new city guys up again with road drivers. If my center didn't do this already I would ask the SCM if i could go with a road driver for a week.

I would think a day (night) or two with a road coach would benefit a new city driver, because they will likely cover some road runs. A whole week seems unnecessary. There is supposed to be a simulated road run, for all (preferably to a HUB), but that doesn't cover the operational side. Just the physical drop/hook/dispatch check in. New road drivers obviously do get a full week exposure to the operational side, with a coach.

I would think a day (night) or two with a road coach would benefit a new city driver, because they will likely cover some road runs. A whole week seems unnecessary. There is supposed to be a simulated road run, for all (preferably to a HUB), but that doesn't cover the operational side. Just the physical drop/hook/dispatch check in. New road drivers obviously do get a full week exposure to the operational side, with a coach.

I've already been told by some of the guys to expect those unwanted road runs because the city isn't that bad. The guys here also like the overtime which isn't an option for the road. The other night while I was waiting for my strip manifest i heard the supervisor asking drivers if they wanted to make a run to x-city. He stopped 3 forklifts and they all said no. I'm curious as to why they said no and I like that no is an option.

I've already been told by some of the guys to expect those unwanted road runs because the city isn't that bad. The guys here also like the overtime which isn't an option for the road. The other night while I was waiting for my strip manifest i heard the supervisor asking drivers if they wanted to make a run to x-city. He stopped 3 forklifts and they all said no. I'm curious as to why they said no and I like that no is an option.
A lot depends on location. At my location, the shortest (and typical) run is 80 miles each way (160 mi. turn.). Much preferred over dock work. Also, except for when they are actually slammed and/or shorthanded, OT on the dock is not usually an option.

The option to take the run is only an option, until it's NOT. When it gets down to the bottom driver(s), there is no choice.

News flash...your not exactly skilled trades labor either.
I’ll bear that in mind next time I see some linehaul drone shoehorning a 48 footer into places where they don’t belong like a car dealer to deliver that 500 lb V8 engine that’s too small for a pallet jack.

What would be the purpose?
Seems to me that should be to remind drivers, and consignees if necessary, that “inside delivery” doesn’t mean “white glove service”. But FedEx probably doesn’t want drivers to know which accounts get free fellatio.

Seems to me that should be to remind drivers, and consignees if necessary, that “inside delivery” doesn’t mean “white glove service”. But FedEx probably doesn’t want drivers to know which accounts get free fellatio.

That's office talk.