SAIA | Threatened one day suspension for cell phone use

linehauler1212

TB Lurker
Credits
Got Threatened today for a one-day suspension For being on my cell phone when clearly the phone was not in my hands and I had no Bluetooth in my ear all they caught was me talking to myself is there means to appeal this bullshit

Got Threatened today for a one-day suspension For being on my cell phone when clearly the phone was not in my hands and I had no Bluetooth in my ear all they caught was me talking to myself is there means to appeal this :horseshit:
Monday , Friday or Wednesdays are all good days for off. They are short handed the way it goes lol , let them shoot themselves in the foot , enjoy the day off and refuse to sign anything.

Make it a Friday and it’s a deal
I had a 1 day suspension. Had to serve it on a Wednesday. I marked off Thursday & Friday. I thanked them for the one day off. Said I feel well rested to return to work after a one day suspension. They really did not like me for a long time. Come to think of it, they still don't. von.

I had a 1 day suspension. Had to serve it on a Wednesday. I marked off Thursday & Friday. I thanked them for the one day off. Said I feel well rested to return to work after a one day suspension. They really did not like me for a long time. Come to think of it, they still don't. von.

Only have themselves to blame. You said yourself that you weren’t on the phone in the first place. So if they wrongly accused and punished you, then too bad for them.

I got a 3 day suspension for not returning calls back to dispatch soon enough. I reminded them we have a policy of 'hands free' only, (i have a flip phone) and it would not be prudent to hit the shoulder every time they call. I pay the phone bill, I answer or return calls at my convience. If they have problem with that, furnish me with a iPhone 10.

I got a 3 day suspension for not returning calls back to dispatch soon enough. I reminded them we have a policy of 'hands free' only, (i have a flip phone) and it would not be prudent to hit the shoulder every time they call. I pay the phone bill, I answer or return calls at my convience. If they have problem with that, furnish me with a iPhone 10.
I'd tell them to pound salt. Not your responsibility to answer your phone if their not paying the bill. When they make it into NY we'll see how many"Yankees" put up with that kind of treatment.

I hope you spent the 3 days applying for a new job. And showed the copies of the app. The look on their face would have been priceless. von.

Until they start paying your cell phone bill, and your tickets for pulling over when it’s not safe, then I would just keep on driving. Tell dispatch that you want clarification from safety if there is an issue. Then get HR involved. Those branches will spend weeks (or longer) in a corporate bureaucracy and then the issue will either go away or get resolved. Either way, you are covered. Also, at this point, it would be prudent to tell dispatch that they are no longer to contact you by any means other than company equipment. In other words, lose the cell phone number.

This can't be true,...... Train posted, Saia has stopped all this silly crap and everything is (hunky dory)

Until they start paying your cell phone bill, and your tickets for pulling over when it’s not safe, then I would just keep on driving. Tell dispatch that you want clarification from safety if there is an issue. Then get HR involved. Those branches will spend weeks (or longer) in a corporate bureaucracy and then the issue will either go away or get resolved. Either way, you are covered. Also, at this point, it would be prudent to tell dispatch that they are no longer to contact you by any means other than company equipment. In other words, lose the cell phone number.
I agree with big Buck's approach. Email a description of the situation to your safety guy and request a written response so that if others (HR) have to get involved, then there is no misunderstandings, as to what was said by who.

just clarify, I am not, or have been a Saia employee. The cell phone issue as gone all thru the corp structure of my employer, and the response from the owner was close to this; everyone now day's has unlimited plans, I see no reason this is an issue, we have customers that need service, you are paid by the hour, so answer your phone. Safety dept say's to park in a safe place, to call, we have customers that need service.

just clarify, I am not, or have been a Saia employee. The cell phone issue as gone all thru the corp structure of my employer, and the response from the owner was close to this; everyone now day's has unlimited plans, I see no reason this is an issue, we have customers that need service, you are paid by the hour, so answer your phone. Safety dept say's to park in a safe place, to call, we have customers that need service.
So is it ok to use your phone for company business, but not for personal use anytime while on the clock? Would you use your car to deliver small packages for your company for no compensation? Of course you wouldn't. So how is you phone ok to use with no pay, but your car is ok? von.

So is it ok to use your phone for company business, but not for personal use anytime while on the clock? Would you use your car to deliver small packages for your company for no compensation? Of course you wouldn't. So how is you phone ok to use with no pay, but your car is ok? von.
So if you have an issue with YOUR phone ( maybe it has a virus ) does your company make sure it gets repaired in order to communicate with the office? Can they use your hose for extra storage too? ( of course not )

Just because the company pays you doesn't give them a right to your personal items for company use. And they shouldn't be able to twist your arm to use YOUR phone for them.