SAIA | Threatened one day suspension for cell phone use

honestly I would leave the phone in the car and tell them I don't bring it to work anymore you'll have to contact me via handheld or Qualcomm and I will answer it when I find a safe place to pull over and check it
Would pay money to see their faces after that statement. Can't force you to go back to the car to get your phone. Next time they ask you why it took so long, try 'because that is how long it took'. Or, I got hung up @ a RR crossing on West bound I-??. They ask you why you are @ a stop so long, tell them you are @ a RR crossing. When asked how long is the dam train, tell them you don't know, it haven't arrived yet. von.

It may sound that way from what you read on here from the 1%ers. But this company is actually better than most other LTL carriers. Don’t believe everything you read. The compensation plan, especially the healthcare is very hard to beat.

Last edited:
Not one to bash other companies, but SAIA sounds like a crap gig

Not defending the company in any way but most of these violations are events that have been nit picked by terminal managers that are either on a power trip or just stressed out and up against the wall so much that they snap at the least little thing I’ve hardly heard a word about the cameras from the last two managers but the one before that was watching movies with someone every day go figure

Give them your wife’s number tell them that’s your home phone and your cell phone is for personal use only. To my knowledge we are not required to have a cell phone only a good home phone number. After they call her at 2:00 am a couple times and get cussed out they won’t call it anymore lol

Not defending the company in any way but most of these violations are events that have been nit picked by terminal managers that are either on a power trip or just stressed out and up against the wall so much that they snap at the least little thing I’ve hardly heard a word about the cameras from the last two managers but the one before that was watching movies with someone every day go figure
At the larger terminals like mine the TM rarely gets involved with camera infractions. It’s our safety man and he’s a former driver and he only messes with guys that continue to do the same ::shit:: over and over. A really nice guy named Troy, former line haul.

It may sound that way from what you read on here from the 1%ers. But this company is actually better than most other LTL carriers. Don’t believe everything you read. The compensation plan, especially the healthcare is very hard to beat.
I responded in the other thread?

At some point in your lives, money will not be your prime motivator. Your compensation package is decent at Saia, I’ll give you that. But, eventually other things will take priority. Quality of life, level of stress, personal freedom/options, etc...

Got Threatened today for a one-day suspension For being on my cell phone when clearly the phone was not in my hands and I had no Bluetooth in my ear all they caught was me talking to myself is there means to appeal this :horseshit:
I pass you guys every night and I see Saia drivers with headsets on. Sounds like the rules only apply to certain people over there. Also I've seen how some of the drivers block the camera lol

I agree with big Buck's approach. Email a description of the situation to your safety guy and request a written response so that if others (HR) have to get involved, then there is no misunderstandings, as to what was said by who.
Good advice. Do it in writing. Make them respond in writing. Communication by letter is a whole lot different from in person, he said, she said. von.

Some of us are just a lot better at not getting caught than others 10-4
When you have a tiny Bluetooth wireless ear bud in your left ear and you know your camera and truck you simply are overjoyed and often talk to yourself. I prefer iPhone Bluetooth wireless ear buds because they are almost invisible. Invisible is a good thing.

Last edited:
If you just use common sense you can still use your phone. Just never text while driving because that’s just plain idiotic and extremely dangerous. Taking a call on a Bluetooth is safe if you just use good judgment. The Bluetooths these days are basically invisible. The policy can’t be enforced if you’re smart. Just be smart and stay accident free and you don’t need to worry about a ****ing thing. Just watch those stop signs and red lights because they can bite you in the ass and leave you with a limp.

Last edited:
If you just use common sense you can still use your phone. Just never text while driving because that’s just plain idiotic and extremely dangerous. Taking a call on a Bluetooth is safe if you just use good judgment. The Bluetooths these days are basically invisible. The policy can’t be enforced if you’re smart. Just be smart and stay accident free and you don’t need to worry about a :censored: thing. Just watch those stop signs and red lights because they can bite you in the ass and leave you with a limp.
If you really want to prove that you were not on the phone get your phone records for that day and show them1 nothing more satisfying as proving Safety wrong.

If you really want to prove that you were not on the phone get your phone records for that day and show them1 nothing more satisfying as proving Safety wrong.
Get a phone ( Trac Phone or something similar for $10 ) activate the phone. Tell your dispatch or office this is your phone number. Have them call it and answer it in front of them.

Then toss it on the dispatcher's desk and leave. This will be a problem for them not you.