ABF | Three PT Runs Cancelled At 004

Steward of the Rock

TB Veteran
Credits
Thursday night here at the Rock, linehaul had to cancel three scheduled Purchase Transport runs because they failed to exhaust the road board down to the red-circle number. These three PT vans had to be unloaded and reloaded onto ABF trailers for our drivers to pull. For those of you that question the usefulness of a Union, this is a great example. Because of contract language, ABF was required to cancel outside vendors from doing this work for the sake of our own drivers. GO TEAMSTERS!!!

Thursday night here at the Rock, linehaul had to cancel three scheduled Purchase Transport runs because they failed to exhaust the road board down to the red-circle number. These three PT vans had to be unloaded and reloaded onto ABF trailers for our drivers to pull. For those of you that question the usefulness of a Union, this is a great example. Because of contract language, ABF was required to cancel outside vendors from doing this work for the sake of our own drivers. GO TEAMSTERS!!!
That's what I never understood about PIE, they would have put those 3 loads on the pig and paid the top 3 drivers on the board.
Our switchers recorded every trailer that left the yard for the pig.
They didn't get by with much.

Why not just pull their trailers?

Why not just pull their trailers?
According to one of our road stewards, it was most likely because of one of two reasons.
(1) The company being used for the Purchase Transport would not allow our drivers to pull their trailers on the road. We lease trailers regularly for our drivers to pull, but Purchase Transport is for the cost of the driver and in a lot of cases their trailers.
(2) If an ABF driver pulled the Purchase Transport trailer to it’s destination and it violated any other red-circle or bid drivers at destinations in between by doing so, then they would have a claim.

E92B19C2-0599-4CD3-9ACB-98E2B421DAD2.md.jpg ACD0ED0C-64F2-4CEF-9922-4DF036CDCEAB.md.jpg

I am glad to hear that. The company I drive for out of Dayton Ohio has outside carriers on bid runs every night so they have about 50 to 100 company drivers stay home with no pay.

I am glad to hear that. The company I drive for out of Dayton Ohio has outside carriers on bid runs every night so they have about 50 to 100 company drivers stay home with no pay.
That sucks. You would think with this driver shortage that there would be plenty of work for all drivers. If there is an ABF terminal around you, put in an application. CDL with doubles/triples, tanker, and hazmat required for full time driving. You won’t find a better pension or health insurance package than what ABF has and it is fully paid for by ABF per our Teamster contract. Good Luck!!!

That sucks. You would think with this driver shortage that there would be plenty of work for all drivers. If there is an ABF terminal around you, put in an application. CDL with doubles/triples, tanker, and hazmat required for full time driving. You won’t find a better pension or health insurance package than what ABF has and it is fully paid for by ABF per our Teamster contract. Good Luck!!!
ABF Freight
(937) 236-2210
8051 Center Point 70 Blvd, Dayton, OH 45424

Drivers that work out of this location say they still need road drivers. $10,000 hiring bonus still available from what I've been told.