Throwin Coke

How would you deal with the damaged product? When we damage a bottle of dressing for instance, its a process, it has to be written up on the customer invoice, ours, and in the computer, I'm guessing what was on your truck was what was ordered by the customer.

Some of the beer companies around here have temp controled trailers, its only the sidebays, the bulk guys that do the bigger c-stores they aren't temp controled.

I haven't seen any of the pop companies here, pepsi, coke, 7-up, none have reefers.

Always enjoyed going to a store after a guy who fronted up the shelves and had the back room looking like hell. You walk in and have one pissed off manager waiting for you and hours of bull work ahead. How many times I almost most just walked off, I couldn't tell ya!

As long as you kept the bottle tops and damaged cans, they would check you in without shortages. Sometimes we would forget to close one of our bay doors and lose stuff while turning a corner. The bees sure loved us.

Remember walking into a store on a Monday when your pop was in the ad and being told by the manager that you had to tear down some other display so you could put your up? Funny, the other guy always showed up after you were done.

Remember walking into a store on a Monday when your pop was in the ad and being told by the manager that you had to tear down some other display so you could put your up? Funny, the other guy always showed up after you were done.

I guess I wouldn't last in pop or beer, I never touch another companies product, I just pile mine behind it if they won't put it up, when I run out of freezer or cooler space it gets stacked outside, I just kick out of it and scram.

damaged goods said:

Remember tearing down end cap and building new one just to have the manager tell you he doesn't want it like that or its gotta be on skids before you leave.

One sale was like 10 4 10 on 12pks. The account manager for coke tells me he'll be there as soon as he can get there and I was to be there at noon. It was a mad house to say the least, people were taking skids of it. I called his pager I don't know how many times. Strange, he never got back to me or showed up. I just walked out after 5 or 6 hrs of it tired n pissed. I got punkd, they thought it was funny....

Almost all of the routes back then were commission. We got a base pay of $35 per day plus 19 cents a case. Since Coke sold so well, we could build a 1000 case display and make good money. If we pissed off the manager, he would put us on an end cap with 100 cases or so.That would mean we would have to babysit the store so they didn't run out. There were a lot of games played back then. Not sure if it has changed much, but the beer guys didn't seem to have it as bad. If I recall, the state law governing alcohol had something to do with it.

Ah yes, I do recall these wonderful times. How about being told you couldn't take a pallet jack on the floor because they just waxed it? There was a store called Alpha Beta that would not allow us on the floor due to the union contract. We loved those stores. Of course, they didn't last long. Smitty's and Frys were the absolute worst.

damaged goods said:
Ah yes, I do recall these wonderful times. How about being told you couldn't take a pallet jack on the floor because they just waxed it?

Brings back memories and sooo much anger... lol

Yes it does. My wife used to rib me because I would straighten and reface the product when we went grocery shopping for years after leaving the business.

Right after high school (2007) I worked at Pepsi loading the bulk trucks. I drove a tow motor around the warehouse and built the orders as I went. I was in great shape at the time because that job sure was physical. Nothing liquid loaded by hand is ever going to be light! I was making pretty good money for being 18 (think I made about $16.70/hr+overtime) but I didn't want to stay there forever.

There is a reason you don't see many overweight Pepsi/Coke route delivery drivers. Same with the UPS package delivery drivers.

Not like throwing chips around...

My grandpa worked for Pepsi for 47 years. The story is, in 1961 he was sitting with Grandma at the kitchen table and said "I'm gonna open this classifieds ad and point to a random job and whatever it is I'm gonna go and get that job" and it was Pepsi. His joke was always "Too bad it couldn't have been a potato chip company....Nothing heavy there!"

Of course, I'm sure the story is a little embellished but I still think it's funny.

I threw coke for 21 years. Back in those days, our area had Coke, Dr Pepper and all the secondary brands. Our market share was around 70% and during a holiday it was normal to build a 26 pallet can display and back that up with another 16 pallets of 2liter. I don't miss those days at all.