Thrown Under The Bus Again

Von, my understanding is if there is any combination of driving/dock that you are only allowed one day per week at 16 hours. And if I am not mistaken, that is supposed to be for emergency situation only. You still must have 10 hours off duty before driving again. And , the 60 in 7days or 70 in 8 days still applies if doing any driving. I may be wrong, but that is my understanding of the DOT Hours of service rules. But what do I know. I have been an old, dumb hostler for the last 10 or 12 years.
You are correct on all points But as I posted, working the type of hours Razor posted is not likely in a LTL operation especially a Union one. The language in the contract would prevent it. I had forgot about the 16 hour rule in a 7 day period. von.

Question. ABF bought the old Holland freight terminal across the fence from Indy (050). We ran UE out of there & stored trailers. To access it you had to drive about 80 feet on a public street to enter the other terminals gate. The yard guys did it all the time. Question. With the recorders in the tractors, how would recorder log the back & forth? All yard work? Does the recorder switch you to driving @ any time? At the new Indy terminal, if the yard horse needs fuel he drive 3 blocks to the Loves to fuel? How is that shown on the recorder. This is minor little BS but I am curious as to how this is shown. Thanks. von.

Last edited:
Question. ABF bought the old Holland freight terminal across the fence from Indy (050). We ran UE out of there & stored trailers. To access it you had to drive about 80 feet on a public street to enter the other terminals gate. The yard guys did it all the time. Question. With the recorders in the tractors, how would recorder log the back & forth? All yard work? Does the recorder switch you to driving @ any time? At the new Indy terminal, if the yard horse needs fuel he drive 3 blocks to the Loves to fuel? How is that shown on the recorder. This is minor little BS but I am curious as to how this is shown. Thanks. von.
That is a good question. Maybe one of the 050 guys can answer it.

Anytime you go over 5 mph the eld puts you on the driving line on a log...even when doing moves in the yard .....I doubt that a yard horse is equipped with an eld, I wouldn't know for sure though my end of line terminal has no yard horse...

Not 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. If it were dock only that would be true. Besides, you specifically said "sounds like a hog board linehaul driver" in post #53
You are correct in driving 8 hours FIRST then going to the dock for another 8 & no violation of the HOS. But, all those ours count, making you having to sit out your next start time. Working these hours are not practical to this industry. Yes 8 drive then 8 dock is not a violation. But why in hell would you do it. I doubt any manager would let hourly work like that. First thing they would ask is who would cover their start time? You need to post something that is practical, not irrelevant. Besides, that is considered 2 punches in a 24 hour period & it would not be long before the Local BA stopped by & had a conversation with you, provided the earlier talk with your steward went nowhere. von.
We must remember who we are talking about....rather than say yup you are right, he would rather deflect with a scenario that no union or non union company would do on anything other than an "emergency" basis....it must be tough to think you are so much smarter than all others to think that you can fool us into buying into an utterly ridiculous scenario.....BTW 16 hour rule only comes into play when you drive after your 14th hour...

Anytime you go over 5 mph the eld puts you on the driving line on a log...even when doing moves in the yard .....I doubt that a yard horse is equipped with an eld, I wouldn't know for sure though my end of line terminal has no yard horse...
I think you are right. A ELD in a yard horse would create more problems than without it. Now if you went from the yard to a warehouse 6 blocks down the street, then I think the ELD would be required. Just a guess. von.

I think you are right. A ELD in a yard horse would create more problems than without it. Now if you went from the yard to a warehouse 6 blocks down the street, then I think the ELD would be required. Just a guess. von.
I don't believe it would...to my knowledge you don't need an ELD when you are within a hundred miles of the terminal and you start and end your day in the same location...

I'll be 100 years old and still posting on Truckingboards that has now gone 363 months in a row.
A day at a time Mud… You know as well as us all that no one is guaranteed the next 30 seconds. But I must say I admire your optimistic approach to life. Perhaps I’m I bit too cynical. I love you old man.

True… but your body let’s you know.. at least from the physical side. Just in one decade… IN JUST 5 YEARS I FIND.. A world of difference. Even the RUNAWAYTRAIN can’t run fast enough to escape Father Time. SORRY!

Last edited:
Your post above bears no relationship to mine. You cannot find a single post where I blame employees for YRC's plight. I have said the only way to save YRC is to cut labor costs. As I have written many times, blame whomever you choose. It changes nothing. This is the situation now and today.
Actually, I think management decisions starting with the Preston Trucking purchase, the formation of Yellow Corp followed by The Roadway/Yellow merger and spiraling debt is what brought YRC to this point. The tipping point was reached years ago and, in my opinion, there is no saving YRC. The merging of all the companies into one Yellow is the last breath.
I believe it was and is intentional. That's what holding companies do. They bleed the companies held and if one goes bankrupt, it does not affect the others. The holding company can sell off the valuable ones, Saia, and skim cash flow from the other companies until they die. It's classic corporate raiding.
Yes, take it or leave it. If YRC really wants to survive, that is their only option.
No CEO or upper management is worth MILLIONS of dollars in compensation, I don't care what company you work for. Truck drivers have historically been under paid. The problem with YRC is they have invested a whole lot of money on worthless ideas. I liked the one we had at Holland a few years ago. They put permanent padlocks on all of our trailers, which was great and wonderful in the summer time. In the winter time we had to cut everyone of them of because of snow and ice. The dock computer thing that they hung from the ceiling of the dock never did work right. Some more wasted money. I could go on and on with stuff YRC forced onto Holland that cost a ton of money. When I started at HOLLAND in 1992, we never stacked and damaged freight on outbound trailers. Once Yellow got their claws into Holland and their new directives we constantly damaged freight by stacking. So YRC has brought ALL of their financial problems on themselves, not the employees which are underpaid. What happened to the 15% giveback we took in 2009? Where is all the pension money YRC has not paid for years? YRC is nothing but a bunch of liars and thieves.

I don't believe it would...to my knowledge you don't need an ELD when you are within a hundred miles of the terminal and you start and end your day in the same location...
A little like the no log, just have a time card rule when running local. If you went past the 100 air mile (110) ground, you were ok without a log as long as you could show start & end on a time card. I think. Any help here is appreciated. Thanks. von.

I'm thinking about going Team Razorblade....where else can I take a pay cut, pay for insurance, fund a pension I can't collect (while he collects his), get overtime after 60, be made to give thanks everyday to my CEO who supplied the job (forget that he needs the work done just as much as I need the job), and now work 16 hour days.....I'm telling you gentlemen this sounds like Utopia.....
Yea? And I got a bridge for sale. von.

You can work as many hours as you like. Hours of service is for driving. Drive 8 hours and then work the dock 8 hours, perfectly legal.
which do you prefer ... more for less or less for more ?
think about it ... where does HNRY stand ?
f@cking me-sters doing a f@cking travel program to benefit and helping the company

which do you prefer ... more for less or less for more ?
think about it ... where does HNRY stand ?
f@cking me-sters doing a f@cking travel program to benefit and helping the company
You're gonna love this:
What's good for employers is good for employees.
The us against them game is bad for everyone.

Blade, I see you are back making new friends with your sunny, bright, positive comments favoring the employer over the employee. I see that is working out well for you. LOL!!!
There you go again, "employer over employee". Us against them. A stable, profitable company IS good for employees. Stable, profitable companies are those with management and labor working together to reach the same goals of growth and prosperity for everyone. Newsflash! management personnel are also employees.