ABF | Time to pull out

I know a guy who refused to join. Then had an accident and was fired. Called the BA and demanded representation. The BA said he would put him on the schedule, might take 4-5 months. The fired guy asked- what if i join now? The BA said he was already headed to pick up the check and begin the defense.
thats when you contact the labor board

I know a guy who refused to join. Then had an accident and was fired. Called the BA and demanded representation. The BA said he would put him on the schedule, might take 4-5 months. The fired guy asked- what if i join now? The BA said he was already headed to pick up the check and begin the defense.

I had a friend who was the steward at a manufacturing plant years ago. She had helped put two women back to work who had been discharged. Both women refused to join the union as did several in the plant. She told the women they had to show up for work to avoid losing their jobs again.The women told her they knew the state laws & they did not have to pay dues or join. My friend told them she was not required by law to win at their next discharge hearing. The plant closed a few years later & the jobs were sent offshore but those who paid their dues did get a small pension.
People that have seen these things happen, just don't know.
If a company want's to get rid of you, they start building a case on trivial things.

I remember several who lost their jobs after more than one discharge. The local was successful in getting their jobs back. Two especially did not have time in their lives for their job. The local told both to show up for work & even though they won twice, the company only has to win once.

You sign a union card to join the union because the union negotiates your pay, benefits, and work rules. Our pay is good for what we do, our insurance is fully paid for by the company, our pension is fully paid for by the company, time-and-one-half pay for anything past eight hours a day or forty hours a week. We also get ten paid holiday's a year, five paid sick days a year, and double time pay for working holidays or your seventh day. We have a grievance process for when you feel you have been violated, and contract language that is very specific about what you can and cannot be disciplined or discharged for. We have a seniority system that for the most part prevents the biggest butt kisser from getting the best job. If we do get disciplined/discharged, we have a Business Agent to represent our case. We have all of this because of the union, not because of the kindness of the company. We get all of these benefits for the cost of roughly two-and-one-half hours of pay per month. That is why we pay our monthly dues. You won't find a better deal at any other company that is non-union. I too have had moments that I disagree with a union decision, but I have never once ever thought about getting out of the union. Without the union, this would be just another run-of-the-mill job. If you don't agree with the unions political stance, then by all means vote for the candidate of your choice. But don't blame the union for not making your own decision about who to vote for. This is a free country and you don't have to let anyone know how you vote.

You sign a union card to join the union because the union negotiates your pay, benefits, and work rules. Our pay is good for what we do, our insurance is fully paid for by the company, our pension is fully paid for by the company, time-and-one-half pay for anything past eight hours a day or forty hours a week. We also get ten paid holiday's a year, five paid sick days a year, and double time pay for working holidays or your seventh day. We have a grievance process for when you feel you have been violated, and contract language that is very specific about what you can and cannot be disciplined or discharged for. We have a seniority system that for the most part prevents the biggest butt kisser from getting the best job. If we do get disciplined/discharged, we have a Business Agent to represent our case. We have all of this because of the union, not because of the kindness of the company. We get all of these benefits for the cost of roughly two-and-one-half hours of pay per month. That is why we pay our monthly dues. You won't find a better deal at any other company that is non-union. I too have had moments that I disagree with a union decision, but I have never once ever thought about getting out of the union. Without the union, this would be just another run-of-the-mill job. If you don't agree with the unions political stance, then by all means vote for the candidate of your choice. But don't blame the union for not making your own decision about who to vote for. This is a free country and you don't have to let anyone know how you vote.
Well-said! If you’re not a ‘Steward’ you certainly should be! Everything you posted is true.

I second the idea that a trucking company accumulates a drivers sins in a folder under the desk.

I remember one in particular that DM Bowman in Frederick put on me. I get to yard at 2 am, paperwork, pretrip etc done by 240, rolled out by 3.

HARD APPT time 8 am sharp in Baltimore downtown. So... 5 hours to go 50 some odd miles. Pulled into Frederick 76 with waitress serving me a day's work worth of breakfast and coffee etc. All out and rolling onto the interstate at a little after 5 am, hours early. Some of that was work, CAT scaling the rig against the morning open scales in New Market. The last time prior to that crossing, they had trainees lining the bay window before sunrise. I wondered how many trainees for DOT/State Police will fit into the cab of a older R model dyno mack?

A dispatcher took note of my tractor number pulling out while going to work and reported me. Eventually that little note got to my folder and I was hauled in for a chewing out and threats of being dismissed etc.

Probably the one time I was put into trouble for being hours early on a delivery and doing what is routine with trucking and taking care of myself as well.

Every little tiny sin. When it gets heavy as a church in that folder, they let you go for cause.

Well if Biden and company do what they say there going to an make a law banning right to work you scum bags will have no choice but to pay.Never understood the whole thing anyway, you come to union companies for great benefits but don't want to pay for them to be bargained for. Where else can you get something for nothing, you go to BJ, Sams Club,Costco etc for the great deals you pay a membership fee right.

Well if Biden and company do what they say there going to an make a law banning right to work you scum bags will have no choice but to pay.Never understood the whole thing anyway, you come to union companies for great benefits but don't want to pay for them to be bargained for. Where else can you get something for nothing, you go to BJ, Sams Club,Costco etc for the great deals you pay a membership fee right.
My man, couldn’t of said it better myself

Thank you Trucker 206. I am a steward out of Local #878 in Little Rock, AR.
Good to see you again Steward. I haven't seen your posts much over the past many-many months. I thought about you many times and I missed your posts. Don't stay away so long. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I missed you!

I thought several times about taking a trip to the Rock just to speak with you again: but I thought that would be weird. Sorry, I should have been weird!!

I have been in the Teamsters union for over 15 years but I am seriously considering pulling out. Georgia is a right to work state therefore they can not force me to be in it. I am sick and tired of the unions automatically supporting the damn democrat party. Just look what Biden did his first day in office, he killed thousands of union jobs but the unions still back him. I think I will send my withdrawal papers though on Monday, you can call me a scab for leaving and I will call you dumb ass for staying.
While you’re at it, you might also want to tell the Government that you will no longer be paying taxes since I’m sure they also spend your money on things you don’t approve of....

Good to see you again Steward. I haven't seen your posts much over the past many-many months. I thought about you many times and I missed your posts. Don't stay away so long. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I missed you!

I thought several times about taking a trip to the Rock just to speak with you again: but I thought that would be weird. Sorry, I should have been weird!!
Good to hear from you again Homesick. How are things going in Atlanta? Are you guys covered up with freight like we are here at the Rock?

Last edited:
We were slammed at 184 but it seemed to slow down over the last two weeks....Can't see how we don't get a bonus again, unless they bring out the magic pencil....
If my math is correct (questionable at best), if we operate at a 97.7 or better for the fourth quartet, we get the 1% bonus again. If we can operate at a 93.7 or better, it will be a 2% bonus. I know that 2% bonus sounds like a long shot, but we did operate the fourth quarter of 2018 at a 93.3 so it is possible. We will know more on Febuary 2nd when the fourth quarter earnings come out.

If my math is correct (questionable at best), if we operate at a 97.7 or better for the fourth quartet, we get the 1% bonus again. If we can operate at a 93.7 or better, it will be a 2% bonus. I know that 2% bonus sounds like a long shot, but we did operate the fourth quarter of 2018 at a 93.3 so it is possible. We will know more on Febuary 2nd when the fourth quarter earnings come out.
I like your math....

I have seen lower level management types come from non union companies who had difficulty adjusting to supervising a union represented workforce. They could no longer kick employees around at will without being questioned as to why. Their threats of firing employees were laughed at which hurt their feelings. They also made a much better salary with benefits because the company was obligated under a collective bargaining agreement. So if anybody does not enjoy the benefits of working at a union job they should find employment elsewhere. I would not work long at any job I hated. I would work for less if I was happy at that job. Working at a job that is stressful or that you hate is one of the worst things for your health, both physical & mental.

Last edited:
I am a 64 yr member, and I too dropped out of DRIVE many years ago but never considered giving up my card.
As you know, Teamsters are required by law to represent non-union members the same as union members.
You probably also know, a good BA knows how to present a non's case before the committee.
That should give a guy second thoughts about giving up his card.
WOW! A 64 year member. That is very impressive. I would love to see you post some stories about the old days and how far we have come. You have seen multiple changes in the leadership of our union as well as the direction. You sir have my utmost respect.