ABF | Time to pull out

nah, seeing how the company pays it for me I will keep it, after all I work for it same as you
As a retired teamster I agree at times they suck hard. I told Hoffa jr to his face when he ran the first time he didn't know anything about our union and my local Sec. Tr. was pissed I said that cause I'm a long time steward in Ltl freight but friend ur making a Big mistake & letting Ur coworkers down & weakening bargaining strength. We old farts fought hard for GREAT H&W benefits you enjoy, Appreciate them. I hear Dayton is hiring in the south. OT after 45 hrs & $10 drop/hooks go for it and quit ur damn crying. You think the companies just strolled up to the employees and said hey we want to give u really great bennies cause we think you guys work really hard and we really love you. Got kids? how much did you pay when they were born? Nothing Hmmmm that covers a lot of monthly dues, more than u will ever pay.

Last edited:
As a retired teamster I agree at times they suck hard. I told Hoffa jr to his face when he ran the first time he didn't know anything about our union and my local Sec. Tr. was pissed I said that cause I'm a long time steward in Ltl freight but friend ur making a Big mistake & letting Ur coworkers down & weakening bargaining strength. We old farts fought hard for GREAT H&W benefits you enjoy, Appreciate them. I hear Dayton is hiring in the south. OT after 45 hrs & $10 drop/hooks go for it and quit ur damn crying.
Sad thing is today's Teamsters have lost some of the benefits we enjoyed.
NMFA for one, line drivers fueling, working the dock, chaining trucks, never heard of such.
I know concessions must be made to be competitive with today's nons, since the majority is no longer union.

I posted before, you can count on one hand the times I touched a piece of freight in my 35 yrs with PIE.
Jr couldn't see ahead enough to keep pace with deregulation when membership fell.

Sad thing is today's Teamsters have lost some of the benefits we enjoyed.
NMFA for one, line drivers fueling, working the dock, chaining trucks, never heard of such.
I know concessions must be made to be competitive with today's nons, since the majority is no longer union.

I posted before, you can count on one hand the times I touched a piece of freight in my 35 yrs with PIE.
Jr couldn't see ahead enough to keep pace with deregulation when membership fell.
Hoffa was elected in 1998, Teamster LTL was already in a death spiral before he was elected. Lets keep the bull ::shit:: to a minimum.

Hoffa was elected in 1998, Teamster LTL was already in a death spiral before he was elected. Lets keep the bull **** to a minimum.
The 94 freight strike finished the union freight line failures that deregulation started. The responsibility for that strike falls on Ron Carey not Hoffa Jr.

Hoffa was elected in 1998, Teamster LTL was already in a death spiral before he was elected. Lets keep the bull **** to a minimum.
Hoffa did nothing to help stop that downward spiral.
I feel that freight was just ignored, left to the wolves. The international concentrated their efforts on the dues they receive from all the members that it doesn't take much effort to get a contract ratified, and keep collecting dues.
Hoffa did a horrible job for freight. Period.

In 15 years I have never had to have a "case" because unlike some I go to work when I'm suppose to and work when I'm there
You seem to be looking for a reason not to pay union dues and that is fine. I did not agree with “all” union stances but I knew all of the benefits I had were due to Teamster negotiations and my family benefitted greatly. Also, I respected the people I worked with enough not to be a moocher and take for free what they paid for monthly. You knew what the union entailed when you applied for the job, so man up. You sound like the church member who got mad at someone and left church forever (that person was looking for a reason not to go to church in the first place). You are looking for an “excuse” not a “reason”(just my opinion).

Freight was ignored by the customer. Why ship with an overpriced company, whos employees are lazy Teamsters. LTL was a landslide coming down the side of the mountain, how could Hoffa stop it?
I don't agree with the "lazy Teamsters" or the "overpriced company." As a road driver we are under the 'paid for performance' guidelines. Meaning, we get paid the same $$$ for a trip regardless of it taking 5 hours or 14 hours. Most companies consider this model to be a way to do "more with less" or a "motivational" tool to motivate employees. Managers who want to "turn around" a company use this model.

As for overpriced, look at the shipping options for a 300lb pallet of customer product. You could go with a truckload carrier and pay for a whole trailer. Or break the pallet into smaller 5 shipments of 60lbs each and pay small packages prices. Or use an LTL company and combine your product with your neighbors product and each pay for a part of a trailer. What other options do you suggest to get away from overpriced?

I feel no need to blow my own horn. I was a doing Teamster. Which is a terrifying thing to talking Teamsters, makes them look like blow hards.
If being a "doing" Teamster is what is generally referred to as being a working Teamster, then we are doing just fine here at ABF. We "LAZY" Teamsters (as you labeled us in another post) have managed to help make ABF a $100-million plus profit for 2018 and 2019 and it looks like the same for 2020 (waiting on 4th quarter report). So Bubba, maybe you should concentrate on trolling the shores in your boat and shucking shrimp and let us freight Teamsters concentrate on working and hauling freight.

I don't agree with the "lazy Teamsters" or the "overpriced company."
We "LAZY" Teamsters
"I was replying to Hoffa did nothing to help the downward spiral of Teamsters LTL". Most of which happened between 1980 to 2000. When Hoffa wasn't even president. Teamsters lack of customer service during that period is legendary. "I don't work, I drive" get your ::shit:: off my trailer, I need a cup of coffee attitude. The customer voted with their feet.

Please feel free to tell us what changes needed to happen to save teamsters LTL in the period between 1980 and 2000.

"I was replying to Hoffa did nothing to help the downward spiral of Teamsters LTL". Most of which happened between 1980 to 2000. When Hoffa wasn't even president. Teamsters lack of customer service during that period is legendary. "I don't work, I drive" get your **** off my trailer, I need a cup of coffee attitude. The customer voted with their feet.

Please feel free to tell us what changes needed to happen to save teamsters LTL in the period between 1980 and 2000.
I noticed in one of your posts that you said "I was a working Teamster". So, I assume you are no longer a Teamster? And the answer to your question about what was needed to save Teamster jobs during the 1980-2000 time frame is simple in my opinion. Deregulation of the freight industry should have never happened.

I noticed in one of your posts that you said "I was a working Teamster". So, I assume you are no longer a Teamster? And the answer to your question about what was needed to save Teamster jobs during the 1980-2000 time frame is simple in my opinion. Deregulation of the freight industry should have never happened.
"I was a doing Teamster" I vigorously defended the contract, as opposed to talking teamsters. Who tell everybody they should thank them for their benefits.

Deregulation shouldn't have happened isn't an answer. What changes should have been made between 1980 and 2000 to save Teamsters LTL?

"I was replying to Hoffa did nothing to help the downward spiral of Teamsters LTL". Most of which happened between 1980 to 2000. When Hoffa wasn't even president. Teamsters lack of customer service during that period is legendary. "I don't work, I drive" get your **** off my trailer, I need a cup of coffee attitude. The customer voted with their feet.

I don't know! I was in the military until the late 1980's. And until the mid 1990's I was more concerned with establishing my career, figuring out who I was, and how I was going deal with married life (still married to the same woman). I didn't become a Teamsters until 2001. And I don't worry much about how I got here, I'm more concerned with where I'm going.

Who is to blame for something that happened when I was in my early teens is not something I have any business commenting about. I was not there and circumstances are much different than now. "The past does not define you, it prepares you" for the future. Don't mean to be rude, just truthful.

"I was a doing Teamster" I vigorously defended the contract, as opposed to talking teamsters. Who tell everybody they should thank them for their benefits.

Deregulation shouldn't have happened isn't an answer. What changes should have been made between 1980 and 2000 to save Teamsters LTL?
Actually, it is an answer. Had deregulation not happened then most of these Teamster companies would still be around. A lot, of these companies before deregulation paid good money for the territories they operated in just to lose ground to a new company after deregulation that had to pay nothing. Kind of put the smaller Teamster companies at a cost disadvantage in my opinion. Just out of curiosity, what was your reason for getting out and no longer being a Teamster?

Not to be political here but how many Republicans voted against deregulation? I will bet you more dems voted against it than Republicans...... Not that it matters....they both suck.....hope your pension is in good shape puffy...
Puffy's not a Teamster, he just likes to stir up trouble.

I feel no need to blow my own horn. I was a doing Teamster. Which is a terrifying thing to talking Teamsters, makes them look like blow hards.
These so called "Talking Teamsters" or "Blow Hards" ( your words, not mine) probably did have input into past contracts by submitting contract proposals that changed things for the better. And, some of them probably walked a picket line at one time or multiple times over the course of their employment in order to get a better contract. So, if that is the case, then we do indeed owe them a HUGE THANK YOU for risking their jobs and livelihoods for the benefits and improvements to our contract that we now take for granted a lot of times. So I will be the first to say THANK YOU Seabreeze, Hookman, and anyone else that did their part in the past for what we now have. As I have said before, the company gives us nothing. What we have is from the past actions and negotiations of the Union and it's members.