FedEx Freight | Tips from the Dock

Dock Man

Logistical Engineer
Credits
I know the new driver bids took effect Monday, so just wanted to through out some tips for those going into a barn and working the dock. Just trying to throw out some info for those new drivers.

The dock is a chaotic sh*t show on its best day but manners still help a lot.

Don't forget to speak, if you're going into a trailer and someone is working it, speak up. Say hello, I am looking for that CLT, or they sent me to help, etc. You are more likely to get what you need if you say something. Closed mouths don't get feed.

Also if you have to dig into a trailer to chase something, put the freight behind the trailer in nice rows. Color inside the lines.

If someone is loading a trailer and you have freight for that door, say so. Don't sit there and watch. Say what you have, see if they need something (decking, table, straps, etc) and most likely they will throw it in for you.

Just trying to make all our nights move a bit faster.

I know the new driver bids took effect Monday, so just wanted to through out some tips for those going into a barn and working the dock. Just trying to throw out some info for those new drivers.

Don't forget to speak, if you're going into a trailer and someone is working it, speak up. Say hello, I am looking for that CLT, or they sent me to help, etc. You are more likely to get what you need if you say something. Closed mouths don't get feed.

Also if you have to dig into a trailer to chase something, put the freight behind the trailer in nice rows. Color inside the lines.

If someone is loading a trailer and you have freight for that door, say so. Don't sit there and watch. Say what you have, see if they need something (decking, table, straps, etc) and most likely they will throw it in for you.

We're all miserable as **** to be on the dock - Don't make the experience even moreso would be my advice.

My experience with dock workers had been less than stellar. They blame us for everything and get annoyed when you're trying to finish to get out of their way.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's one of those things that looks good in writing but never works in the real world. I work until my trip is set up or my show time. Which ever comes first, after that I don't care.

Cool story bro

I bay everything that doesn't go on one our trailers lol
As long as you don't set the trailer to unload just to chase your ::shit::, we're cool.

If you're one of those bastards we'll have words if we see eachother. Nothing like running after stuff and at the end of the night finding out the one you didn't that was showing working 3 hours ago was just stripped and left there. At the other end of the dock.

As long as you don't set the trailer to unload just to chase your ****, we're cool.

If you're one of those bastards we'll have words if we see eachother. Nothing like running after stuff and at the end of the night finding out the one you didn't that was showing working 3 hours ago was just stripped and left there. At the other end of the dock.

I've already been told not to do that lol

No, I'm working to get paid and go home. The dock workers want to rack up hours, we want to get the hell out of there. That's where the discrepancy comes into play.

What planet are you from? We had to have the regional manager come in for a meeting to keep dock workers from quitting because they were being worked 12-14 hour nights in sub zero temperatures due to shutdowns, and scorching heat during the busy season. Drivers were baying stuff without even putting the bill in the box, which compounded the problem since freight would get lost.

Then those drivers would complain when those accounts inevitably got dropped and their run was compromised, and hilariously they'd angrily wonder what caused it.

Just do this simple job the right way to avoid problems. Pretty much everyone wants to go home ASAP, but there's an etiquette that goes along with it. Lazily passing off work to others is pretty pathetic and is ultimately more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
What planet are you from? We had to have the regional manager come in for a meeting to keep dock workers from quitting because they were being worked 12-14 hour nights in sub zero temperatures due to shutdowns, and scorching heat during the busy season. Drivers were baying stuff without even putting the bill in the box, which compounded the problem since freight would get lost.

Then those drivers would complain when those accounts inevitably got dropped and their run was compromised, and hilariously they'd angrily wonder what caused it.

Just do this simple job the right way to avoid problems. Pretty much everyone wants to go home ASAP, but there's an etiquette that goes along with it. Lazily passing off work to others is pretty pathetic and is ultimately more trouble than it's worth.

I'm from planet current decade. I know this is from the old time because nobody puts bills in boxes anymore. That's not how it works anymore and the etiquette has changed. Now, we let the dock workers worry about the dock work and we worry about our freight.

I'm referring to the 12 years I worked the dock, I think up until last year. I had to jump ship to take care of family stuff after that, but it was pretty rough during the 'teens - if we can call them that.

My point had more to do with the attitude displayed among some people who would run crying to management when everything wasn't going their way even though they spent the entire shift cutting corners. I actually saw a guy lose his run (i.e. job) because so much Wal-Mart freight was getting lost/damaged, and I know he was a big part of it. Garbage in, garbage out.

When you're on the dock you're a dock worker. When you're on the road you're a driver. It's that simple.

I'm referring to the 12 years I worked the dock, I think up until last year. I had to jump ship to take care of family stuff after that, but it was pretty rough during the 'teens - if we can call them that.

My point had more to do with the attitude displayed among some people who would run crying to management when everything wasn't going their way even though they spent the entire shift cutting corners. I actually saw a guy lose his run (i.e. job) because so much Wal-Mart freight was getting lost/damaged, and I know he was a big part of it. Garbage in, garbage out.

When you're on the dock you're a dock worker. When you're on the road you're a driver. It's that simple.

Bills in boxes hasn't been a thing for longer than that. We would scan the bill to the bay at the citadel and in 2019 it was computers on the forklift to notate where it was left.

Nobody's crying to management about anything. Dock workers want hours when they're scarce and complain about overtime when it's forced and consistent. Nothing new.

You're offering an opinion based on old data. It's not relevant today. In fact, production goals have doubled from 3 BPH to 6 BPH and it's not hard to do because we have drive thru dimensioners now and freight is moved by tapping a screen. No writing down pros, no bills in boxes and no scanning at the citadel.

When I'm on the dock, dock workers don't look at me as a dock worker. They look at me as a driver. "These damn drivers blah blah blah". I hear it every night. Supervisors also look at me as a driver because when show time I hits, I'm clocking out regardless if the trailers are ready or not. There's reasons for that, but to simplify it it's because we're not a team. I do what's asked of me and then I'm on my way. Lines have been drawn in the sand since I started here. I didn't create the culture, I just work in it.

Bills in boxes hasn't been a thing for longer than that. We would scan the bill to the bay at the citadel and in 2019 it was computers on the forklift to notate where it was left.

Nobody's crying to management about anything. Dock workers want hours when they're scarce and complain about overtime when it's forced and consistent. Nothing new.

You're offering an opinion based on old data. It's not relevant today. In fact, production goals have doubled from 3 BPH to 6 BPH and it's not hard to do because we have drive thru dimensioners now and freight is moved by tapping a screen. No writing down pros, no bills in boxes and no scanning at the citadel.

When I'm on the dock, dock workers don't look at me as a dock worker. They look at me as a driver. "These damn drivers blah blah blah". I hear it every night. Supervisors also look at me as a driver because when show time I hits, I'm clocking out regardless if the trailers are ready or not. There's reasons for that, but to simplify it it's because we're not a team. I do what's asked of me and then I'm on my way. Lines have been drawn in the sand since I started here. I didn't create the culture, I just work in it.
6bph?! Wow it was 8 when I was on dock. Lol you can do that in 30 mins!

I've already been told not to do that lol

Keep up the good work.

I was only using the bills in the box thing as what was once a broad example of the half-assed mentality that can cause all kinds of problems. Not picking up trash, not sweeping out trailers, not building decks, not bracing decks, not strapping in drums, not flipping plackards, etc. all fall in the same category.

And besides: get over yourself, you drive a truck. So do flip flop wearing Somalis who don't speak a work of English. It's a simple, easy job if everyone does their part.

Keep up the good work.

I was only using the bills in the box thing as what was once a broad example of the half-assed mentality that can cause all kinds of problems. Not picking up trash, not sweeping out trailers, not building decks, not bracing decks, not strapping in drums, not flipping plackards, etc. all fall in the same category.

And besides: get over yourself, you drive a truck. So do flip flop wearing Somalis who don't speak a work of English. It's a simple, easy job if everyone does their part.

Sure, the job is simple enough not everyone can do it. If they could, they would. Stop selling yourself short. If anyone were able to do it, the problems you listed above wouldn't exist. In fact, the OP never would've started the topic.

I don't know why you're being so sensitive. You asked what planet I'm from and I informed you. Modern day FedEx not "back in my day" FedEx. If you're really that interested in showing everyone how it's done, you can always reapply. Then come back and tell me about dock culture and how much everyone appreciates your input.

6bph?! Wow it was 8 when I was on dock. Lol you can do that in 30 mins!

The forklifts are really slow and the drive thru dimensioners don't work great. You also have to reweigh and dimension every piece of freight and I have to catch up on some current events every now and then lol