ABF | Tired Of The Run Around

Roundbelly

TB Lurker
Credits
Is there anyone in local 120 I can call and get truthful answers to questions? Our hall never answers the phone ,never calls back and never knows the answer.i have Ben after answered since last November with no luck.somebody must have a clue...

Is there anyone in local 120 I can call and get truthful answers to questions? Our hall never answers the phone ,never calls back and never knows the answer.i have Ben after answered since last November with no luck.somebody must have a clue...

Not sure where Local #120 is, Brother,.....but NLRB rules are nationwide. If you can document a number of times you tried to reach the Hall, and they were unresponsive,...or never returned your calls,.......the NLRB is very interested in cases of non-representation.

As a former steward,.....I was informed of the legal rights of the guys I represented,....and that I HAD to do my best,...regardless of personal feelings, seniority order, whether they were "Fair-Share" payers..........under threat of internal charges, and in extreme cases, ...lawsuits from NLRB lawyers.

Send a certified letter,...you'll definately get a response. Then bill them for the cost of the letter. Unless they're desperately incompetent,....they'll get the general idea......(...and pay for the letter...).....

The big trick is to document all the times you tried to reach out for your representation. Where is your steward, by the way? He is supposed to be the direct conduit to the BA and the Hall. Start putting your questions in writing and handing them to your steward. He HAS to get you an answer,.....and unless he's monumentally dumb,...should realize you're....documenting him.

Good Luck, Brother............In crookedly-run Locals,...the strategy is to frustrate the members to the point they....give up.

When you ....Give Up.......They Win.

Dig in and fight. You have a First Amendment Constitutional Right to be in a Union. That's the only reason companies haven't lobbied to make Unions illegal...(..and they've tried, believe me..).....

All the coffee-stop and breakroom bitching in the world won't change....anything. Be Smart, Cold and Calculating.....

Ahh.......11,500 members in Minnesota , Iowa, North and South Dakota........Big Local.

Remember,....even if you are in a small Barn,....you pay the same amount of dues, proportionally,...as the biggest Barn. You have the (legal) Right to the same representation.

I would write Mr. Erickson directly with a complaint concerning your lack of representation. He will definately respond.

And,....Don't worry about speaking up.....They tend to....respect the ones who speak up......(..They don't like you, but they respect you.......I know,...I was Resident Gadfly at Local #30 for many years..).....

Not sure where Local #120 is, Brother,.....but NLRB rules are nationwide. If you can document a number of times you tried to reach the Hall, and they were unresponsive,...or never returned your calls,.......the NLRB is very interested in cases of non-representation.

As a former steward,.....I was informed of the legal rights of the guys I represented,....and that I HAD to do my best,...regardless of personal feelings, seniority order, whether they were "Fair-Share" payers..........under threat of internal charges, and in extreme cases, ...lawsuits from NLRB lawyers.

Send a certified letter,...you'll definately get a response. Then bill them for the cost of the letter. Unless they're desperately incompetent,....they'll get the general idea......(...and pay for the letter...).....

The big trick is to document all the times you tried to reach out for your representation. Where is your steward, by the way? He is supposed to be the direct conduit to the BA and the Hall. Start putting your questions in writing and handing them to your steward. He HAS to get you an answer,.....and unless he's monumentally dumb,...should realize you're....documenting him.

Good Luck, Brother............In crookedly-run Locals,...the strategy is to frustrate the members to the point they....give up.

When you ....Give Up.......They Win.

Dig in and fight. You have a First Amendment Constitutional Right to be in a Union. That's the only reason companies haven't lobbied to make Unions illegal...(..and they've tried, believe me..).....

All the coffee-stop and breakroom bitching in the world won't change....anything. Be Smart, Cold and Calculating.....
Good post, brother canary! Although impossible, my former ‘shop steward’ could be this fellows’ as well based on the non-responses/action he’s getting. His post is accurately titled. I worked side-by-side with my.....’shop steward’.....for several years, and he was without a doubt the worst one I’ve ever had. There were almost DAILY violations on the ‘Excessive Overtime’ clause to which he failed to advance grievances on. He liked HIS overtime, because HIS overtime consisted of sitting on his ASS the last 3-4 hours of HIS day, while a few of us were out busting our onions and actually WORKING those 11-12 hour days. He never goes to the monthly meetings (I still do as a retiree), never once went to ANY union-sponsored shop steward activities while I was there, and didn’t file ONE SINGLE GRIEVANCE in all my time there. He had his ‘allies’ so voting him out or demanding an election would’ve been career *******. Basically, he was a shop steward in name only.

Very sad local, they allow PTS trucks to stay on camp eagan lot as long as they want. It was trusted a year or two back and I don't know what happened after that.

I pay my dues and extra for there drive fund.back when freight was slow years back I would work a day a month and they took dues out of it. But I really believe in the cause and never complained or took a withdraw card.As far as our steward he is the one in the office feeding them his version of the rules.They always benefit him and if you say anything tries to get you fired.I just want factual answers to my guestions.

Good post, brother canary! Although impossible, my former ‘shop steward’ could be this fellows’ as well based on the non-responses/action he’s getting. His post is accurately titled. I worked side-by-side with my.....’shop steward’.....for several years, and he was without a doubt the worst one I’ve ever had. There were almost DAILY violations on the ‘Excessive Overtime’ clause to which he failed to advance grievances on. He liked HIS overtime, because HIS overtime consisted of sitting on his ASS the last 3-4 hours of HIS day, while a few of us were out busting our onions and actually WORKING those 11-12 hour days. He never goes to the monthly meetings (I still do as a retiree), never once went to ANY union-sponsored shop steward activities while I was there, and didn’t file ONE SINGLE GRIEVANCE in all my time there. He had his ‘allies’ so voting him out or demanding an election would’ve been career *******. Basically, he was a shop steward in name only.

I understand times have changed, but we handled our problems a little different in my days.
We had a steward not doing his job, he was paid a visit to his room, while on a layover in Jax.
He was told, when he returned to Charl, he must resign or learn how to eat through a straw.
That was his last day as a steward.
This was done on our BA's suggestion.

I understand times have changed, but we handled our problems a little different in my days.
We had a steward not doing his job, he was paid a visit to his room, while on a layover in Jax.
He was told, when he returned to Charl, he must resign or learn how to eat through a straw.
That was his last day as a steward.
This was done on our BA's suggestion.
Ahhhh...how I long for the good ol’ days!!

I pay my dues and extra for there drive fund.back when freight was slow years back I would work a day a month and they took dues out of it. But I really believe in the cause and never complained or took a withdraw card.As far as our steward he is the one in the office feeding them his version of the rules.They always benefit him and if you say anything tries to get you fired.I just want factual answers to my guestions.
I hear ya, RB. Sounds like your steward is related to my former one!

Just a suggestion get a copy of the bylaws for the local and see if anything about removing a steward is in there, In my local it is stated that if they miss the monthly meetings without a valid excuse from the e-board they will be replaced also if they are not doing the duties they were elected to preform they can/will be called in front of the e-board . We elect out stewards thru our barn for a 3 year time frame BUT the local has the right to assign as needed as a last resort.

Thanks for the replies very much appreciated .I will try to find out if I can get him out of there. Our steward hasn't made a meeting in more than 10 years. I have Ben asking for a copy of the contract book since the new contract to. I have a few suggestions to try see if this helps. Bout a month ago I got done breaking freight headed out to pedal tried the hall twice in about 20 min no answer. So I headed that way called again no answer so I parked along the street walked in on him leaning back feet up.he bout shift himself was real nice wrote down my questions and never called me back.

Thanks for the replies very much appreciated .I will try to find out if I can get him out of there. Our steward hasn't made a meeting in more than 10 years. I have Ben asking for a copy of the contract book since the new contract to. I have a few suggestions to try see if this helps. Bout a month ago I got done breaking freight headed out to pedal tried the hall twice in about 20 min no answer. So I headed that way called again no answer so I parked along the street walked in on him leaning back feet up.he bout shift himself was real nice wrote down my questions and never called me back.

Sad to say, but you definately have a case of non-representation. Find your local National Labor Relations Board and talk to one of their lawyers. You CAN file Labor charges yourself. Extreme position,...but it can be done....

Also sad to say,......but there are Anti-union organizations out there who look for instances like yours,...so they can bring charges and cases to court,...to prove to the Rank-and-File,...that Unions don't work.

Make sure you don't talk to one of those sharks,.....All they're concerned with is....ruining Unions....Could care less about Worker's Rights.....

And,.....You would think,.....knowing those anti-Union organizations exist,.....that Union officials would take extra-special PRIDE in doing their job properly....I THINK most do,......But....Ahem,...."Leadership starts from the Top".

Remember,.......you're in for a fight if those..."officials"...are as incompetent as you're saying.....And,...being corrupt,.....they will pull any immoral stunt they think they can get away with....Stand Tall, Brother......They desperately NEED to be removed,...if they don't want to do their ELECTED job properly.....

Don't do it on your own, Brother. Get a number of co-workers who have experienced the same...non-representation. That way you don't look like the..."lone P.O.'ed troublemaker" Strength in numbers, Brother......

You CAN petition for a new Steward's election. You just need 51% of the barn to sign the petition. I am SURE your Local Bylaws have that mechanism.

it IS Important. You are protecting your First Amendment Rights in the workplace,........something the non-Union guys don't have......

For all the effort people put in protecting the ...Second Amendment,....it's time the same effort was put into protecting the....First Amendment......

Sad to say, but you definately have a case of non-representation. Find your local National Labor Relations Board and talk to one of their lawyers. You CAN file Labor charges yourself. Extreme position,...but it can be done....

Also sad to say,......but there are Anti-union organizations out there who look for instances like yours,...so they can bring charges and cases to court,...to prove to the Rank-and-File,...that Unions don't work.

Make sure you don't talk to one of those sharks,.....All they're concerned with is....ruining Unions....Could care less about Worker's Rights.....

And,.....You would think,.....knowing those anti-Union organizations exist,.....that Union officials would take extra-special PRIDE in doing their job properly....I THINK most do,......But....Ahem,...."Leadership starts from the Top".

Remember,.......you're in for a fight if those..."officials"...are as incompetent as you're saying.....And,...being corrupt,.....they will pull any immoral stunt they think they can get away with....Stand Tall, Brother......They desperately NEED to be removed,...if they don't want to do their ELECTED job properly.....

Don't do it on your own, Brother. Get a number of co-workers who have experienced the same...non-representation. That way you don't look like the..."lone P.O.'ed troublemaker" Strength in numbers, Brother......

You CAN petition for a new Steward's election. You just need 51% of the barn to sign the petition. I am SURE your Local Bylaws have that mechanism.

it IS Important. You are protecting your First Amendment Rights in the workplace,........something the non-Union guys don't have......

For all the effort people put in protecting the ...Second Amendment,....it's time the same effort was put into protecting the....First Amendment......

Yep, and document,document, document

Ahh.......11,500 members in Minnesota , Iowa, North and South Dakota........Big Local.

Remember,....even if you are in a small Barn,....you pay the same amount of dues, proportionally,...as the biggest Barn. You have the (legal) Right to the same representation.

I would write Mr. Erickson directly with a complaint concerning your lack of representation. He will definately respond.

And,....Don't worry about speaking up.....They tend to....respect the ones who speak up......(..They don't like you, but they respect you.......I know,...I was Resident Gadfly at Local #30 for many years..).....
I called Tom Erickson yesterday the 14th and got his voice mail.So I left him a brief message about what's going on and went in to make a delivery.hoped in the truck and he had already called back said he made some calls and told me if no one gets a hold of you by 8pm tonight you call me here is my cell number.I was impressed he was very polite and actually returns a call. Unlike
Bill Weidabrance who was suppose to call me.I will give them a few days if not call Tom back.Thanks for the help brothers.

I called Tom Erickson yesterday the 14th and got his voice mail.So I left him a brief message about what's going on and went in to make a delivery.hoped in the truck and he had already called back said he made some calls and told me if no one gets a hold of you by 8pm tonight you call me here is my cell number.I was impressed he was very polite and actually returns a call. Unlike
Bill Weidabrance who was suppose to call me.I will give them a few days if not call Tom back.Thanks for the help brothers.

Very good, Brother! Squeaky wheel, you know....