Too-tall truck gets stuck in Lopatcong tunnel

How the heck , do you misjudge a clearance, 3 feet lower than 13'6"?????
according to the write up, he usually hauls flat bed. musta forgot about heights....

then too, still his responsibility to actually look at the signs.

Maybe the problem is the signs are in English.
well, i guess like the voting polls, and nearly everything we buy at the grocery stores, multi language signs will need to be put up..????

Um how far did he drive to this point & forgot he didn't have a flatbed?
Just don't get how you'd not know your pulling a dry van while checking the west coast side mirrors along your travels.
Unless he only looked straight out the windshield the whole trip,he'd have to know he was pulling a box,& not a platform.
I guess they sure don't make truckers like they used to.

I guess they sure don't make truckers like they used to.
Apo, I'm curious as to how ANY driver cannot look in the mirrors as there are no completely no turn routes.

The upside is, the Tunnel was constructed in the time when structures were built to survive 100+ years, so no worries mate.

Last edited:
well, i guess like the voting polls, and nearly everything we buy at the grocery stores, multi language signs will need to be put up..????
Problem being multi language signs are not cheap and to add up all types of road signs in multi languages.....well....such is not feasible, so we'll just have to accept and clean up the catastrophes.

When he got to route 57 he should've turned right and went west on 57 to the next traffic light and turn left, at that point, those tracks are on the ground he would've crossed over them on the ground and that street goes out to the street with the low tunnel. He would have been on the other side of it. Turn right, go to US 22, turn left eastbound, go two lights and on to I-78E to Newark. Big R had a terminal over there in Phillipsburg, NJ.

Last edited:
When he got to route 57 he should've turned right and went west on 57 to the next traffic light and turn left, at that point, those tracks are on the ground he would've crossed over them on the ground and that street goes out to the street with the low tunnel. He would have been on the other side of it. Turn right, go to US 22, turn left eastbound, go two lights and on to I-78E to Newark. Big R had a terminal over there in Phillipsburg, NJ.
This guy lacked, what you excel in buddy. Experience, and common sense.