FedEx Freight | Top rate start? What about the old timers?

About a month or so ago for us.

Who pays 5 CPM more? Most I've seen is 2-3 CPM. Those same carriers pay a lot less for task pay and won't pay for delay because your load isn't ready. OD pays 8 dollars for drops and hooks. Saia pays 15 minutes of your hourly rate.

I've spoken to a lot of companies because I'm curious to see what they offer. I've been underwhelmed.

If they got the insurances under control, they'd be ahead of the game, but from info I've received from other companies it's all the same and in some companies it's worse/more expensive. The only company I spoke to that offered better/cheaper insurance is PepsiCo, but the pay was a lot lower than FedEx. I was making more on year 1 as a CDSA.
Not trying to get into a pissing contest or give you agida bud. Simple fact, Dayton paying .74, OD at .73. You and I both know the insurance is horrible. Been killing myself doing 600 miles a day for more than 3 years. Breakdown pay, via etc. Best I could do was 126 a year. And I was very happy with that. Several friends at OD doing 500 and change a day make a little more than that. It's not going to get any better. Good luck.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest or give you agida bud. Simple fact, Dayton paying .74, OD at .73. You and I both know the insurance is horrible. Been killing myself doing 600 miles a day for more than 3 years. Breakdown pay, via etc. Best I could do was 126 a year. And I was very happy with that. Several friends at OD doing 500 and change a day make a little more than that. It's not going to get any better. Good luck.

It's not a pissing contest, it's comparing who offers what. No Dayton buildings around me so I've never spoken to them.

Go over to the OD thread. It sounds just like this one. Underpaid and bad benefits.

The math I'm seeing in this post doesn't make sense. A 500 mile run with drops and hooks at OD comes out to about400/day. Considerably less than a 600 mile run at FedEx (depending on the GPD).

About a month or so ago for us.

Who pays 5 CPM more? Most I've seen is 2-3 CPM. Those same carriers pay a lot less for task pay and won't pay for delay because your load isn't ready. OD pays 8 dollars for drops and hooks. Saia pays 15 minutes of your hourly rate.

I've spoken to a lot of companies because I'm curious to see what they offer. I've been underwhelmed.

If they got the insurances under control, they'd be ahead of the game, but from info I've received from other companies it's all the same and in some companies it's worse/more expensive. The only company I spoke to that offered better/cheaper insurance is PepsiCo, but the pay was a lot lower than FedEx. I was making more on year 1 as a CDSA.
Don't know where you live but Pitt Ohio has way better insurance.

It's not a pissing contest, it's comparing who offers what. No Dayton buildings around me so I've never spoken to them.

Go over to the OD thread. It sounds just like this one. Underpaid and bad benefits.

The math I'm seeing in this post doesn't make sense. A 500 mile run with drops and hooks at OD comes out to about400/day. Considerably less than a 600 mile run at FedEx (depending on the GPD).
My original reply was to PS and how I got how he felt about what about us guys. You know the poor bastards who survived AF to FX to FXF West or God forbid Watkins to FXF. We survived all our fearless leaders Nonsense and hare brained schemes. Did our job day in and day out. Now when they make more money than they have ever before, on your back and mine by the way, they are no longer concerned with paying commensurate with your skills. If you can find Steven Newhouse's book on the Watkins deal, you will understand why FXF won't pay anymore. Someone on these boards posted not too long ago that the CPM raise coming up would be half a penny. That should tell you all you need to know. We are just a number and our value is going down, once a year.

My original reply was to PS and how I got how he felt about what about us guys. You know the poor bastards who survived AF to FX to FXF West or God forbid Watkins to FXF. We survived all our fearless leaders Nonsense and hare brained schemes. Did our job day in and day out. Now when they make more money than they have ever before, on your back and mine by the way, they are no longer concerned with paying commensurate with your skills. If you can find Steven Newhouse's book on the Watkins deal, you will understand why FXF won't pay anymore. Someone on these boards posted not too long ago that the CPM raise coming up would be half a penny. That should tell you all you need to know. We are just a number and our value is going down, once a year.

The old guys didn't get anything because they're not going anywhere. FedEx is only willing to give as much as the competition to retain drivers. The people that have been here less than 2 years because they're the ones leaving.

In 2021, everyone is just a number. The only numbers that matter are metrics and profits. Show me a company that treats you like family and I'll show you a company that can offer anything more than that.

The raise at every LTL company sucks. I've spoken to a lot of them during this craze for drivers and they're not offering much. Put in applications just to get their attention and ask what they're offering. I promise you'll feel the same way I do. They'll be talking and you'll be thinking "that's it?".

That's just the way it is now.

Estes is .74 sefl near us is .72... we are at .66

That B GPD scale is ridiculous and makes no sense. Especially today when people are migrating and working remotely causing the average earnings in these areas to rise making cost of living there increase. Add in inflation and you guys will be hurting a lot.

Yep, the task pay at FedEx overcomes a few cents in mileage pay at OD

Especially when you're familiar with the building you're going to and you can drop and hook in way less than an hour.
If I’m not mistaken they pay about half of what we do for dropping and hooking, and I’m not sure if the pay the hourly rate for delays.

Don't know where you live but Pitt Ohio has way better insurance.
AND it costs their employees ZERO a week for premiums. And 6 weeks vacation after 20 years. And they are making 30.17 an hour . And they made 826 million as a company….how does regional Pitt Ohio do so much more for drivers than worldwide conglomerate FedEx? FedEx needs to step up to the plate. Or sadly I may be on the other team soon..

Newhouse was a good man. So was John Watkins

Last edited: