FedEx Freight | Top rate

shroomzeee

TB Lurker
Credits
How is it that EVERY position other than full time dock is getting bumped to top rate July 18th? Including part time dock. Why no full time bump?

They're not desperate for full-time dock help. They're not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, they're doing it because they're desperate for drivers and part time help. They're never short full-time dock workers. Check internal job postings. There might be 1 or 2 full time dock positions open out of hundreds of postings.

So when drivers clock onto the dock. We should get paid less correct? I know plenty of drivers that can haul triples yet can’t raise the blades on a lift. Drivers day in and day out get mad at the dock workers for our loads, when it’s actually the supervisors that control the routing and placement of the trailers. Or tell them “just throw it in there” At my barn, I have a great relationship with the dock and so do most drivers. We are a team, act as one guys.

Compare a topped out FT dock worker's pay Vs a City driver's pay.
Now compare their capabilities, and responsibilities.

Capabilities and responsibilities are a massive difference between the two, yet pay is not.

Your use of the word capabilities is pretty condescending and presumptuous. And I don't think anyone has ever suggested that most city drivers aren't given a larger number of tasks than dock workers. They also make more per hour because of it. What difference does it make to you what a dock worker making less earns?

If I worked for a company and felt that one of the job classes was getting paid an unusually high wage for doing less than other job classes I'd simply put in for that position. Beats the hell out of being bitter about what amounts to a non-issue to you personally.

Last edited:
Your use of the word capabilities is pretty condescending and presumptuous. And I don't think anyone has ever suggested that most city drivers aren't given a larger number of tasks than dock workers. They also make more per hour because of it. What difference does it make to you what a dock worker making less earns?

If I worked for a company and felt that one of the job classes was getting paid an unusually high wage for doing less than other job classes I'd simply put in for that position. Beats the hell out of being bitter about what amounts to a non-issue to you personally.

I agree Emmitt. Not to mention, a really good dock worker (presumably full time are really good) can be a huge asset. Mediocre or bad ones are a huge liability and risk. Think damages, injury, miss-loads, strip & reload, etc.

City needs quality loading, line haul need quality loading. The whole operation benefits, and when we find really good "freight handlers", they should be offered full time, and really good pay.

:smilie93c peelout:

I agree Emmitt. Not to mention, a really good dock worker (presumably full time are really good) can be a huge asset. Mediocre or bad ones are a huge liability and risk. Think damages, injury, miss-loads, strip & reload, etc.

City needs quality loading, line haul need quality loading. The whole operation benefits, and when we find really good "freight handlers", they should be offered full time, and really good pay.

All true, but I'd like to add: shuttle drivers do a lot here. Not to take anything away from the dock, but these are people who inspect the trailers to prevent the loss of local customers. And they move freight the right way.

But like you said getting it from A to B is what we want and the us vs. them debate needs to stop. It's a lifestyle choice. Get over it. I've been here for over a decade at a major hub. Ask me about the genesis of it if you really care.

We have 4 full time dock at my center including myself and they are all A1. Also all mentors and train everyone. I run lanes and all when supervisors are off or sick. We really are a crucial part of the operation.