SEFL | Tractor situation!

no1uno

TB Lurker
Credits
Anybody heard what SEFL is planning to do about the trucks. They are decommissioning trucks that still run, but yet we have newer trucks broke down all over the system. Road drivers in city trucks, and city drivers waiting on linehaul trucks in the mornings. Our fleet is ageing and breaking down. Are there new trucks sitting at the larger terminals waiting to be placed in service?

This has been Going on for years. A gang of us city drivers went to the motel daily to borrow road trucks to use in the city. Then when that wasn't enough we went to the rental lot to rent a truck to use. At night several combo guys would leave out pulling 53's with single axle city trucks. Now I don't run a business, but you would think it was a crime to have enough trucks and a crime punishable by death to have any spare trucks. All the while they were steadily taking older reliable trucks off the road to decommission. I don't currently work here but this same activity was going on 5 years ago.

It's the newer freightshakers. Those M2 trucks have been good for about 100k before everything starts to fall apart. Don't know if ATL still has newer units sitting. 10 years ago there were 100+ sitting in ATL waiting for older units to be decommissioned. What happens when trucks sit for a year or two?

Remember that numbers Trump common sense. Each service center can only have the number of trucks available for dispatch that the average bill count calls for. They fail to take into account the fact that there is ALWAYS at least one truck down for repair..

I think part of the problem is the shops themselves. A lot of inexperienced mechanics. Tractor shops are turning into Jiffy Lubes. Also take the Freightliner Cascadias for example, they have a Detroit motor and most shops other than Col the ATL's and CLT don't know how to work on them. And 4 out of those 5 are questionable.