FedEx Freight | Trailer weight

Ratchet

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello drivers. What is the absolute maximum legal weight allowed for a pup trailer? Was dispatched with a 27229 weight trailer and given I have 3 scales to go three I said NO. Had 16 bills on it. Rear trailer only 7234

I would not pull it. They had put up to dock and swing some off the lead and put on my rear box. Supervisor was all upset bout it and was upset bout missing there gate time. Jus wondering what actually legal limit these pup trailers can haul. See if I get talked to or not bout it by the OM

Hello drivers. What is the absolute maximum legal weight allowed for a pup trailer? Was dispatched with a 27229 weight trailer and given I have 3 scales to go three I said NO. Had 16 bills on it. Rear trailer only 7234
Pulled a lead that said it was 26 and change. Just scaled, it was a little over on the drive but just under on the rear.

There’s no, “max weight” a trailer CAN haul. It only comes down to Axle weight of less than 20k as I’m sure you know…

Hypothetically, you could have a trailer that claims to be a million pounds that would scale fine. The only way to know is to weigh it yourself.

I’ve had trailers that claim to be 15k or so that are way overweight on the drive tires. The best way is weigh. CAT scale, another center, etc…

Also, overweight tickets don’t count against your CSA score, only the company gets dinged.

Another scenario.

It is possible that it could have been a billing error on one of the bills. Also, it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that a bill was split. (1 bill for 18,000 lbs, 6 skids. 1 skid was moved on an -01 bill. No correction is made to change weight on the R0 bill, so it will still say 18,000 on computer tho it's moving thru system now at 15,000.)

This can also work in reverse. Dockman starts to move that 18000 lb shipment. Gets 1 skid on the trlr and scans the bill fully intending to put the other 5 on there, bell goes off for lunch or break. Oh well, I'll finish it after break. In the meantime, all freight "shows" on the trlr so supv closes the door and gives bills to driver. Trlr may show 25,000 lbs but actually only 10,000. So if you hook according to paper weight, you could have a physically light trlr in the front and heavy on the rear. Good argument for scaling anything before going out the gate.

I would not pull it. They had put up to dock and swing some off the lead and put on my rear box. Supervisor was all upset bout it and was upset bout missing there gate time. Jus wondering what actually legal limit these pup trailers can haul. See if I get talked to or not bout it by the OM
You did exactly what you should have done. Over 27,000 {assuming the weights are correct} it would have to have been loaded perfectly, no room for error. If there is no scale available at the loading location, ask to take it to the nearest public scale. In the event of a wreck or unfortunate incident, the driver is responsible, not the dock supr. If they force you to take it message them on the ELD, or text your doubts on the legality of the weight and have it in writing. You are always the last word in what leaves that gate. Be safe.....

You did exactly what you should have done. Over 27,000 {assuming the weights are correct} it would have to have been loaded perfectly, no room for error. If there is no scale available at the loading location, ask to take it to the nearest public scale. In the event of a wreck or unfortunate incident, the driver is responsible, not the dock supr. If they force you to take it message them on the ELD, or text your doubts on the legality of the weight and have it in writing. You are always the last word in what leaves that gate. Be safe.....
Every bit of that entered my mind soon as I seen the weights. Lol. ::shit:: show kids that loaded the trailers I don’t trust for a minute being loaded right. And both scales were open last night. So I feel made right move. And haven’t heard word from anybody bout refusing pull it.

A dock Sup is the last that cares about you as well as your TM .
Do what you were taught and stay in the parameters of the law
because it's the driver that will be hung for the world to judge us
for doing what we were forced to do by some gas station attendant
that's your boss now . It is all going to fall ON THE DRIVER .

Every bit of that entered my mind soon as I seen the weights. Lol. **** show kids that loaded the trailers I don’t trust for a minute being loaded right. And both scales were open last night. So I feel made right move. And haven’t heard word from anybody bout refusing pull it.
They will just punish you another day , that's the way we do things when you have people that tell you how to do your job and they know nothing about what it is like being out there . YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION . If they harass you take them to the top then see a lawyer . Protect yourself at all costs Sir . Document everything and save it .

They will just punish you another day , that's the way we do things when you have people that tell you how to do your job and they know nothing about what it is like being out there . YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION . If they harass you take them to the top then see a lawyer . Protect yourself at all costs Sir . Document everything and save it .
If you really want to get their attention, go FHWA.gov and file a harassment or coercion charge. That lights up the old chain of command. Just make sure you have a witness or a text or something. One good case can change the Company mentality real quick. That goes against their carrier rating.

Pulled one once that weighed 26,000 and some change and it scaled. But on a meet one time I pulled a set that front was 13,000 and the rear said 2,000. Rear was a one bill CO (company movement bill). That rear trailer was all over the road, got pulled in the scale and sat on the scales for what seemed like forever before I got the green light. When I got Indy I scaled it and the rear was 17,000 on the dolly and 20,170 on the rears. Come to find out trailer weighed 22,000, someone miss billed it.

Doesn't matter what the paperwork says. 11,500+19990+19990+17550+10969=79999. If that's on a certified scale I don't think I would want to refuse it. JMHO
Besides every mile you pull it the gross goes down. JMHO
Guess we never have to worry about you guys hauling grain from field to elevator. Amazing what some of our weights show. FACT LOL

Last edited: