Truck Driver Charged in Fatal Crash That Injured Tracy Morgan

They have schedules to meet just like everyone else....They get their dispatch's for the WHOLE week right at the start...again..a driver needs how to schedule their time and get enough rest to be safe.

They have schedules to meet just like everyone else....They get their dispatch's for the WHOLE week right at the start...again..a driver needs how to schedule their time and get enough rest to be safe.

Agree but there should be mercy n grace.

I agree with you Stan,because customers don't store inventories anymore they are demanding fast service.
However just because routes are set up on computer models, there are to many variables when driving.
Such as detours,weather & any number of other negative issues that can occur.

So companies like Walmart have to push their drivers like they do,must be to keep their customers coming to their stores to buy their stuff.

If they could just conceder the ratio of money spent on safety,to what a crash costs,maybe they would be easier on their drivers.

I know from being a city driver for as long as I was,that companies harp on safety,yet seem to forget about most of it,to make their dock times.
I'm clueless to what the answer is?
However their computers are machines,they really need to take in account their employees are human.

I agree with you Stan,because customers don't store inventories anymore they are demanding fast service.
However just because routes are set up on computer models, there are to many variables when driving.
Such as detours,weather & any number of other negative issues that can occur.

So companies like Walmart have to push their drivers like they do,must be to keep their customers coming to their stores to buy their stuff.

If they could just conceder the ratio of money spent on safety,to what a crash costs,maybe they would be easier on their drivers.

I know from being a city driver for as long as I was,that companies harp on safety,yet seem to forget about most of it,to make their dock times.
I'm clueless to what the answer is?
However their computers are machines,they really need to take in account their employees are human.

I don't have an answer either. I just see the problem most of us face. The general response is kicking the problem down line until its just the driver standing there holding the bag.

This part IMO, suggests he wasn't necessarily doing 20 over the speed limit. If the accident happened a half mile into the 45mph zone, and the data is 60 seconds (1minute) before the crash, that puts him doing 65 in the 55mph zone..just saying. Which, in NJ, was probably slower than everybody else
Traffic was slowed on the night of the accident by construction that blocked two of the highway's three northbound lanes. According to the NTSB report, a sign warned of the lane closures about a mile south of where the accident occurred, and another sign a half-mile closer directed motorists to reduce their speed from 55 mph to 45 mph.

I agree with all of that but they are being pushed too and thats kinda my whole angle here.

They pull up to a dock at one of their stores... you better be pulling out at a drop of a hat because they expect it. They catch heat if it takes too long.

Was it idle time over drivers comfort on break? Is it a hurry up but be safe environment?

I will not comment on the accident, since we do not have all of the facts.

Walmart does not push you. Unless you are on an assigned route, you do not get your work for the week. You will have a trip sheet which may be for a few stores, or for a store, a vendor pick-up, then delivery to a DC close or out of state. If you are unable to do anything on the sheet, by the time needed, you just tell them, and they will take it off of you. They do not give you any hassle in any way, about doing this. You are the Captain of your own ship. If you need to take a nap because you are tired, you just do it. You will not get any hassle for it.

I have never worked for a company that puts less stress on the driver than here. Short of if you have an issue, and picking up your trip sheet, you do not have to talk to anyone if you don't want to.

You will have an Associate Contact every 6 months where they will show you what you have done, and what your metrics are. It is very interesting. If there is an issue with your production, they would talk to you about it at that time, unless a gross problem. Of course, I wouldn't know what they do if you do have a problem, since I have not had one. It is very easy to achieve their goals for you.

I will not comment on the accident, since we do not have all of the facts.

Walmart does not push you. Unless you are on an assigned route, you do not get your work for the week. You will have a trip sheet which may be for a few stores, or for a store, a vendor pick-up, then delivery to a DC close or out of state. If you are unable to do anything on the sheet, by the time needed, you just tell them, and they will take it off of you. They do not give you any hassle in any way, about doing this. You are the Captain of your own ship. If you need to take a nap because you are tired, you just do it. You will not get any hassle for it.

I have never worked for a company that puts less stress on the driver than here. Short of if you have an issue, and picking up your trip sheet, you do not have to talk to anyone if you don't want to.

You will have an Associate Contact every 6 months where they will show you what you have done, and what your metrics are. It is very interesting. If there is an issue with your production, they would talk to you about it at that time, unless a gross problem. Of course, I wouldn't know what they do if you do have a problem, since I have not had one. It is very easy to achieve their goals for you.

Interesting. I'm only going off of my experiences with them when they pull up to one of their docks. It's drop what your doing and pull out asap. One time I was just about done and in there middle of unloading n I was trying to wrap it up quick as possible. 5-10 minutes.

The driver asked me to move I said I'm all but done n have to bar up. He was flipping out on the receiver then got manager back there. I was done as he was arriving n i was like see ya.

I was told around that time that they catch heat if things take too long. Idk

I do know the Giant drivers are being timed but am not familiar with how it works. I just know that I've had them pull up as I was walking in and ask me if I can do it quickly. I'd say yeah and they'd say I got here 15 minutes early. .. you got 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy that is rude like that, is probably one of those $120K a year guys. They are always in a hurry. It isn't Walmart that is pushing them, but themselves. It is way too easy to make good money here, that you don't have to be one of "those" guys.

I will never be one, I know that. LOL

Walmart is all about safety. Slow and careful. Don't speed, take you time and do it right. Always check the trailer you are picking up. Always check your truck out. That doesn't stop the guys that push to make all they can. I see them too.

Very rarely have I had a tight gate time, and have never been late. They give you a lot of time, most of the time (unless something prevents it). They will NEVER bug you to get something done, and they never push you to do more, because again, it is about safety.

The reality being, working here is like no other trucking job I have ever done. As an outside carrier, you have no idea as the rules are completely different for us. Of course, with the way some of the outside carriers run through the DC's, I can see why the rules are different. Unfortunately, it is the bad eggs that get everyone punished. The vast majority of WM drivers will be more than happy to talk to you and answer questions honestly. We have no reason to hide anything, as there really isn't anything to hide. We do have some of the grumpy old timers who long for the way things used to be. The problem is, they have forgotten from where they came. I have only been here for almost 2 years, so where I came from is VERY fresh in my mind. LOL

A guy that is rude like that, is probably one of those $120K a year guys. They are always in a hurry. It isn't Walmart that is pushing them, but themselves. It is way too easy to make good money here, that you don't have to be one of "those" guys.

I will never be one, I know that. LOL

Walmart is all about safety. Slow and careful. Don't speed, take you time and do it right. Always check the trailer you are picking up. Always check your truck out. That doesn't stop the guys that push to make all they can. I see them too.

Very rarely have I had a tight gate time, and have never been late. They give you a lot of time, most of the time (unless something prevents it). They will NEVER bug you to get something done, and they never push you to do more, because again, it is about safety.

The reality being, working here is like no other trucking job I have ever done. As an outside carrier, you have no idea as the rules are completely different for us. Of course, with the way some of the outside carriers run through the DC's, I can see why the rules are different. Unfortunately, it is the bad eggs that get everyone punished. The vast majority of WM drivers will be more than happy to talk to you and answer questions honestly. We have no reason to hide anything, as there really isn't anything to hide. We do have some of the grumpy old timers who long for the way things used to be. The problem is, they have forgotten from where they came. I have only been here for almost 2 years, so where I came from is VERY fresh in my mind. LOL

That's good to hear and it's nice to see drivers taken care of these days too.

Last edited by a moderator:
there was never any doubt in my mind....

i can only guess the final payouts to all the victims.

sadly, all due to the ever revolving doors at the CDL Mills, cheaper labor in the OTR end will always be there. that will never end, the churning out of alleged drivers from those mills. as long as there will be a demand for cheap labor, the schools will exist.

the days of a great union are gone and all that there may be are the good unions, which may be a better place to work for sure, but try to get a job at one easily. i cannot even count all the teamster union run places nearby me, that folded up, and the somewhat lower quality unions took over. some do offer o/t after 8 hours, my former employer did that..then if memory serves me, just before i left, they wanted to change that to o/t after 40 hours...

Having been employed by 4 CDL mills I can agree. But most of these mills are going to pay an instructor about 5 to 6 bills a week. With a 10 hour day this is going to attract drivers who are part of the fringe of the Trucking Industry. Good instructors are a rarity. Good instructors that will work for less than half of what they can make on the road are going to have other motivations for that kind of monetary sacrifice. This is a screwed up industry that's not really interested in safety, you can't legislate common sense. I am up tonight because my Pit Bull didn't get enough time with me before I went to bed. So here I am up while he is asleep on the floor.

If this wasn't Tracy Morgan it might not be this big a story but the 24 hours without sleep was early. It was nearly an automatic response. Tailgating is one of the biggest issues with Truckers today. Every day I drive to work I have to endure some throttle jockey on my tail and this is in a little Kia. So how do you weed the bad ones out? You make age and neck size an issue while allowing the youthful wannabees to slip through. Next time you go to work, count how many energy drinks litter the parking lot. Monsters don't replace sleep. Now there is a long list of wake up medicine that we used to get from our dispatchers back in the day but they have made those illegal.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him to tell you the next winning lottery numbers. Good night Y'all. Life will continue without entertainers quicker than it will without truck drivers. But the next time you get on someones ass, think about what kind of a situation you are putting yourself into. That might be a rock star driving the beat up Ford pickup 2 feet in front of your front bumper.

you may want to contact OOIDA about that sleep study. they have a very interesting article about that in the May 2014 issue.

i cannot get it online and post it here, i cannot scan it, and post it either.

but in essence, (they print) that according to........

393.41(b)..a person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person (5) has no established medical history or clinical diagnoses of a respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle safely.

they (OOIDA) states that the FMCSR claim that there is only a "guidance".

and that there is a common theme..."liability"......

i'll get back on this, i'll email the lawyers that have a column in the LandLine magazine

update..

done, i emailed the lawyers that write that column in LandLine, and asked if they do not mind, if i copy/paste thier response to me, in fact, i gave them this website and where to look for this sleep testing post.

I get Landline and I know the article you mentioned. I even brought it in for the company to see that they are forcing expensive medical procedures on drivers that have no symptoms of sleep apnea.

But they are just a little too willing to go along with the Doc on this one. They really have no idea what the law is and they aren't gonna sit down and consider it.

Let me know what they say. Our local is just about as misinformed on this. I might have to go another round with them on this.

Being the skeptic that I am I was skeptical about that being his twitter account. I don't have any trucking buddies who have twitter accounts. WTH would we need one of those for?

I have a Twitter account but it's almost exclusively for the following and discussion of NFL football.

Alot of people these days feel the need to spew their every thought and opinions via social media.

Although I am also not a participant in the FeecesBookHashTweetMySplat craze I am also aware of the nonsense that takes place there. Stuff like this:

# I just got up.

# I just pooped.

# I showered a minute ago.

# I can't decide what to wear today.

# Maybe the blue shirt.

# The blue shirt is dirty.

# What to do. A yellow shirt, or a brown one?

# I had toast with coffee for breakfast.

# These pants feel tight today.

# I'm driving to work.

# Traffic sucks today.

# Traffic sucks everyday.

# I can't find a parking space.

# Found a parking space.

# Just got to my desk, but realized I left my Smrat Phon in the car.

# Whew! Got my Smrat Phon out of the car. Didn't think I could make it to break time without it!

# Sheesh! Will break ever get here?

# My boss sucks!

# When is break gonna get here?

# Is it break yet?

# Whew! Break time!

# I'm having a bagel with cream cheese for break.

# Oh, and coffee too!

# This sucks! I have to go back to work now.

# Is it lunch time yet?

# That boss of mine is like a diaper.

# Do they really want me to do that?

# I'm gonna have a Bug Mac for lunch.

# If it ever gets here.

# I'm hungry.

# I hate my boss.

# Maybe I'll have a Jumbo Jack instead.

# What time is it?

# OK, who forgot to put batteries in the clock?

# Oh boy! Lunchtime!

# Wonder what I'll have for lunch, anyway?

# I had a beef and cheese burrito from Taco Time for lunch.

# Oh man! Time to go back to work.

# I hate work.

# My boss is a jerk.

# I hate this place.

# Is it break time yet?

# That burrito didn't settle very well.

# I think I;m gonna be sick.

# My boss is ragging on me again.

# Will break ever get here?

# Those customers are idiots!

# Can I go home yet?

# LOL! Guess I gotta take the afternoon break first!

# Yay! Break time!

# Well that didn't last long.

# Is it time to go home yet?

# The day is just dragging on!

# Why do those customers have to whine like that anyway?

# 30 minutes to go!

# Just started my car.

# Traffic sucks.

# Uh oh! I think that cop is pulling me over.

# I just got a ticket. Says I was texting and driving.

# Was not!

# This sucks!

# I'm home.

# Gonna mow the grass.

# All done.

# The wife wants me to take out the trash. Geeze! Do I have to do everything?

# Almost time for dinner.

# Pork chops! My favorite!

# Why does the wife expect so mush from me? Now she wants me to do the dishes! She sucks!

# Watching my favorite TV show now.

# The wife is nagging about something again.

# Think I'll get to bed now.

# I'm sleeping now!

# LOL!

# Snoring.

# Snoring.

# Snoring.

# Boring.

# Boring.

# Boring.

# Boring.

Although I am also not a participant in the FeecesBookHashTweetMySplat craze I am also aware of the nonsense that takes place there. Stuff like this:

# I just got up.

# I just pooped.

# I showered a minute ago.

# I can't decide what to wear today.

# Maybe the blue shirt.

# The blue shirt is dirty.

# What to do. A yellow shirt, or a brown one?

# I had toast with coffee for breakfast.

# These pants feel tight today.

# I'm driving to work.

# Traffic sucks today.

# Traffic sucks everyday.

# I can't find a parking space.

# Found a parking space.

# Just got to my desk, but realized I left my Smrat Phon in the car.

# Whew! Got my Smrat Phon out of the car. Didn't think I could make it to break time without it!

# Sheesh! Will break ever get here?

# My boss sucks!

# When is break gonna get here?

# Is it break yet?

# Whew! Break time!

# I'm having a bagel with cream cheese for break.

# Oh, and coffee too!

# This sucks! I have to go back to work now.

# Is it lunch time yet?

# That boss of mine is like a diaper.

# Do they really want me to do that?

# I'm gonna have a Bug Mac for lunch.

# If it ever gets here.

# I'm hungry.

# I hate my boss.

# Maybe I'll have a Jumbo Jack instead.

# What time is it?

# OK, who forgot to put batteries in the clock?

# Oh boy! Lunchtime!

# Wonder what I'll have for lunch, anyway?

# I had a beef and cheese burrito from Taco Time for lunch.

# Oh man! Time to go back to work.

# I hate work.

# My boss is a jerk.

# I hate this place.

# Is it break time yet?

# That burrito didn't settle very well.

# I think I;m gonna be sick.

# My boss is ragging on me again.

# Will break ever get here?

# Those customers are idiots!

# Can I go home yet?

# LOL! Guess I gotta take the afternoon break first!

# Yay! Break time!

# Well that didn't last long.

# Is it time to go home yet?

# The day is just dragging on!

# Why do those customers have to whine like that anyway?

# 30 minutes to go!

# Just started my car.

# Traffic sucks.

# Uh oh! I think that cop is pulling me over.

# I just got a ticket. Says I was texting and driving.

# Was not!

# This sucks!

# I'm home.

# Gonna mow the grass.

# All done.

# The wife wants me to take out the trash. Geeze! Do I have to do everything?

# Almost time for dinner.

# Pork chops! My favorite!

# Why does the wife expect so mush from me? Now she wants me to do the dishes! She sucks!

# Watching my favorite TV show now.

# The wife is nagging about something again.

# Think I'll get to bed now.

# I'm sleeping now!

# LOL!

# Snoring.

# Snoring.

# Snoring.

# Boring.

# Boring.

# Boring.

# Boring.
Epic post, must repost and repost to all my other forums and Craigslist and take credit for writing it myself.

Sent from my smelly armpit using Tapatalk